Jones/Spurr and Teale

Guest sideline

Guest sideline

After Wednesday night I was very impressed with Gary Teale and Daniel Jones, they worked very well together and seemed to be thinking in tandem at most points down that wing, today however I did not see that from Teale and Spurr, at points it was almost as if Teale did not trust Spurr enough to lay the ball off to him which at points I had no problem with as Teale does seem to want to run at players and make something happen. I know at halftime today I was hoping I would see Jones come on for Spurr to see if the combination of Jones and Teale would work again. Can anyone else see this, or is it all in my head?

Teale doesn't like playing with Spurr and you can tell.

I think its because Spurr waits until he gets the ball at his feet before deciding what he's going to do. Which is his downfall, dallying on the ball too much.

Whereas, Jones knows what he's going to do before he gets the ball. So moves alot sooner and passes alot earlier than Spurr does.

So Teale knows where he is with Jones, whereas Spurr keeps him guessing and regularly just plays backward as he's taken too long on the ball.

Defensively, for me, I'd go for Jones. I know many on here don't think he can defend.

But he decides early and doesn't try to play beyond his ability. Two things that are major weaknesses in Spurr's game.

After Tuesday Jones is probably wondering what he has to do to displace Spurr.

To be fair he did get a chance a few games back and he didn't really show he was any better. Hopefully he'll take his next chance and get a run in the side.

Think its because as mentioned Spurr can be too slow when it comes to releasing the ball and also moving into the space. I saw a few times today there was a massive gap ahead of Teale and Tommy either never moved into this space or when he did it was too late.

Jones is good going foward but his positioning when defending is terrible at times, this could easily come with more games though.

At home its essential that jones plays our fullbacks see a lot of the ball at home and spurr just isnt comfortable with the ball at his feet. People will argue tha jones is poor defensively but so is spurr we're now playing in the 3rd tier of english football and spurrs been our left back for about three or four years now and he still get skinned with ease by wingers at this level. For me spurr potter oconnor and tudgay are similar to the quinn geary haslam bromby's from when we last got relegated and the sooner we replace them the better.

Guest intercity0wl

Think its because as mentioned Spurr can be too slow when it comes to releasing the ball and also moving into the space. I saw a few times today there was a massive gap ahead of Teale and Tommy either never moved into this space or when he did it was too late.

Jones is good going foward but his positioning when defending is terrible at times, this could easily come with more games though.

Although i do not completely agree with your observation of Jones defending capabilities it is the reason why the ultra defensive minded Irvine will always pick players based on what they contribute to the team as a whole in a defensive capacity.

It really is dire,not pretty to watch, and wont bring the crowds in, but could still be good enough to gain promotion, personaly i doubt it but only time will tell..

One thing is for sure AI is incapable of sending a side out with any other mindset than first and foremost keeping their shape and dropping into a deep defensive formation when not in possesion, so unfortunatly imo Spurr will always get the nod over Jones in what irvine considers his srongest team.

I really don't get you. Jones was clearly the worst player on the pitch on Wednesday night and by some distance. The amount of times he was beaten by Talbot (not even a natural winger) was embarrassing. Talbot got cross after cross in and beat him numerous times either with pace or by Jones being out of position. Spurr gets a lot of stick sometimes for his defending (sometimes rightly so) but he hasn't looked so off the pace once this season as Jones did on Wednesday night. I'm not surprised Jones was left out.

Edited by edinburghowl

Guest intercity0wl

I really don't get you. Jones was clearly the worst player on the pitch on Wednesday night and by some distance. The amount of times he was beaten by Talbot (not even a natural winger) was embarrassing. Talbot got cross after cross in and beat him numerous times either with pace or by Jones being out of position. Spurr gets a lot of stick sometimes for his defending (sometimes rightly so) but he hasn't looked so off the pace once this season as Jones did on Wednesday night. I'm not surprised Jones was left out.

I dont think Full back is where Jones should be playing but i do like the way he is prepared to go against the norm and actuially look to go forward at every opportunity which lets face it is refreshing in such a safety first setup.

i also though Spurr was very poor again yesterday, and Jon just to see if our oppinions on players is totally opposite ( except for Esajas) what do you think of Ostemobor as i quite like him in the side also, probably due to that Attacking mentality again

Edited by intercity0wl

Jones was at fault for the chezzy goals.

The first one he was ten yards plus,away from his man leaving him acres of space to put a cross in.

That's why AI isn't playing him yet.....

Bullshit! The first, maybe but you can't expect him to block every single shot and personally I think weaver should have saved anyway, and the second was Purse and Buxton getting mixed up and letting the ball go straight through them...

Jones was at fault for the chezzy goals.

The first one he was ten yards plus,away from his man leaving him acres of space to put a cross in.

That's why AI isn't playing him yet.....

How was he at fault for the second goal?

Spurr has all the technical ability of Bambi on ice! He can't do the simple thing of control the ball and pass to a blue and white shirt and the same goes for JOC Tudgay and Beevers! We look alot better when the likes of Jones, Coke and Mellor play because they can control and pass a ball to a blue and white shirt! I hope Buxton stays at centre back because Beevers cant pass a ball either, just launches it into the channels regardless if anyone is there!

After Wednesday night I was very impressed with Gary Teale and Daniel Jones, they worked very well together and seemed to be thinking in tandem at most points down that wing, today however I did not see that from Teale and Spurr, at points it was almost as if Teale did not trust Spurr enough to lay the ball off to him which at points I had no problem with as Teale does seem to want to run at players and make something happen. I know at halftime today I was hoping I would see Jones come on for Spurr to see if the combination of Jones and Teale would work again. Can anyone else see this, or is it all in my head?

in the first half there was no doubt in my mind teale did not trust tommy...he got the ball, shaped up to play it to spurr and then didn't (at the time i thought i can't blame you 'cos in under 5 seconds they will have it and we will be racing back towards our own goal)...in the second (i figured irvine had a word) he used tommy more as an attacking assist and to some extent it may have been our most potent weapon (mmm...let me rethink that...........)...our only weapon other than hoofball, though tommy wasn't great defensively he had improved somewhat (i think he suffers from playing in front of the north, as some seem to think a performing seal is better with the ball, some as in 90% of us). :ph34r::angry::blink::ohmy: :st2:

1st Chesterfield goal Beevers watched it pass about 3 inches from his head. And the 2nd came down the right side...

There was more than one at fault for both goals on Wednesday.

Spurr is the kind of player Irvine loves so he'll always play. Doesn't take many risks in terms of positioning.

Which makes Spurr incredibly predictable, indecisive and leaves us awfully vulnerable when the opposition double up down that side.

He's had any natural reaction to a situation train out of him IMO.

Whereas Jones is still very raw and I don't think Irvine likes that in players.

Guest Buxtonian

I dont think Full back is where Jones should be playing but i do like the way he is prepared to go against the norm and actuially look to go forward at every opportunity which lets face it is refreshing in such a safety first setup.

i also though Spurr was very poor again yesterday, and Jon just to see if our oppinions on players is totally opposite ( except for Esajas) what do you think of Ostemobor as i quite like him in the side also, probably due to that Attacking mentality again

Don't know about Jon, but I agree that Spurr didn't match with Teale yesterday. They seem to delight in making 'wee wee tail-ups' for each other.

But where oh where is the 'Attacking mentality' in Otsemobor? Yesterday he played as though he was in a transparentn cage some 20 yards either side the centre line and about 3 yards in from the touchline! I couldn't make my mind up as to what position it was supposed to be. It was neither full back nor winger. There were times when the opportunity arose for him to attack down the touchline, and every time he chose to pass inside and ignore the oportunity.

the same happened with Esajas, he would be out of the wing hands in the air wanting the ball and Tommy would just go inside or back every time. At least Teal has the bottle to show he's getting annoyed.

It makes you wonder if they do any sort of wing training with the overlaps etc as from the looks of the games they don't.