Football League Show - Our Highlights

as said earlier (sorry can't multi quote etc as using mobile site)

At home this season we have scored 7 goals away we have scored 12 could this be because when we play away we have a couple of thousand (at least)fans going mental and getting behind the team big style?

Is Hillsborough part of the problem?

Yes Alan had it made wider so teams could attack us more and leave our players so spread out we have no one to pass too!

The amount of times it showed Alan Irvine shaking his head at what he was watching was a bit worrying. He is sticking to his tactics of defensive football but you can see it in him that he KNOWS it isn't working. Surely he will change it soon. He doesn't look happy. Then again does he ever look happy?

Alternatively he's shaking his head because they aren't doing what he tells them to

Leeds were the same though, they raped the league early doors, there was a wave of optimism within their fanbase. Then they spiralled out of control and nearly lost their automatic spot! The fact that league one footballers were nervous infront of an expectant and frustrated fanbase certainly contributed to that. It depends which way the pendulum swings and it was shown in that game at home to Bristol Rovers last season when they went one down and had a man sent off..the crowd was edgy and they didnt play well...but when they got the goal back the roar of the crowd actually made Bristol Rovers buckle and gave Leeds a real lift.

as said earlier (sorry can't multi quote etc as using mobile site)

At home this season we have scored 7 goals away we have scored 12 could this be because when we play away we have a couple of thousand (at least)fans going mental and getting behind the team big style?

Is Hillsborough part of the problem?

And as i said before - one uncharacteristic result has skewed the figures

If the 5-0 at Hartlepool had been the more usual 1-0 then we'd be pretty equal on home and away goals

Nobody would be flagging up Hillsborough as the problem then

These are supposed to be broad-backed players of the strong temperament and character that can handle the expectation and frustration of the crowd whilst be big enough to play for SWFC.

I don't thnk it's the crowd that are making the players fearful - maybe hearing all week how Leyton orient are on a par with Barca might be though....

And as i said before - one uncharacteristic result has skewed the figures

If the 5-0 at Hartlepool had been the more usual 1-0 then we'd be pretty equal on home and away goals

Nobody would be flagging up Hillsborough as the problem then

These are supposed to be broad-backed players of the strong temperament and character that can handle the expectation and frustration of the crowd whilst be big enough to play for SWFC.

I don't thnk it's the crowd that are making the players fearful - maybe hearing all week how Leyton orient are on a par with Barca might be though....

Agreed. Clinton Morrison has played in World Cup qualifiers and scored goals. Neil Mellor has played and scored in top of the table Premiership 6 pointers. These boys are hardly going to sh&t their drawers playing a League 1 game vs Orient.

F*ck all to do with character and everything to do with watching DVD's of Orients greatest hits when they should be enjoying training and concentrating on how we p*ss on teams like Orient.

Agreed. Clinton Morrison has played in World Cup qualifiers and scored goals. Neil Mellor has played and scored in top of the table Premiership 6 pointers. These boys are hardly going to sh&t their drawers playing a League 1 game vs Orient.

F*ck all to do with character and everything to do with watching DVD's of Orients greatest hits when they should be enjoying training and concentrating on how we p*ss on teams like Orient.

Add others such as Tommy Miller at Sunderland, Gary Teale at Hampden for Scotland, Darren Purse playing for some large clubs throughout is career (Including a cup final), Spurr, Tudgay & Beevers have racked up plenty of Hillsborough appearances too.

It's basically a non starter the opinion that playing at Hillsborough is daunting and affecting to the players.

It's totally to do with the style, the way we're set up and the poo poo that Irvines filled their heads with about the likes of Inter, Man Utd, Barca and Arsenal we're playing week in week out.

Given that Alan Irvine stressed the importance of bringing in players last summer that could cope with the high expectations of a big crowd and stadium, I don't think this argument stands up either.

I just think certain players in certain key positions for home games (i.e. those who are expected to make the game run our way, like a home team usually achieves) are just not up to it mentally. Its a confidence thing Stepping up to the plate. Rising to the occasion. Call it what you want. I don't think we're ever going to get from Potter, specifically, on a consistent basis.