Johnson Chased By Trio

Keep him. Get him to extend his contract to increase his value. Any transfer fee will only be paid when next window opens. Only savings will be his wages, don't think that will ease current financial difficulties.

When the takeovers complete we shouldn't need to be picked off by other clubs chaseing our players. Not done grants career prospects any good bieng brians bench warmer.

Guest Deleted member

Its ok. I heard that all 3 of them have pulled out of the chase... as JJ pulled up with a calf strain just approaching Hillsborough corner...

If we keep Johnson, then if/when he gets injured again, the people who said we should keep him at all costs will probably be the same ones saying we should have sold him when we got the chance.

I'm a fan of Johnson, and agree he could make a big difference to the team, but I also see the logic of cashing in the chips on a player who's now over thirty, approaching the end of his contract, and who's seemingly become quite injury prone over the last year or two.

I don't mean sell him for a pittance, but like I said before if we can get three well-off clubs in an auction for his services we could actually cash in on a player and get more than he's actually worth - and when was the last time that happened?

£750,000 for an injury prone, 30 year old winger with no end product?

You're an acid man.

£100,000 tops.

Keep him and see how he goes in this league.

Exactly, he's not going to attract any substansial bids. Even if he did and we accepted we can all be safe in the knowledge that the money isn't going to be reinvested in the squad.

You're right, we would get maybe absolute maximum of 200k after clauses like appearence fees atc.

We couldn't do anything with 200k in our predicament. All we'd really be doing is losing a championship quality player, who is our paciest attacking threat (the only pacy attacking threat) and not being able to replace him with anyone close to his ability.

He ain't no world beater, and he's not unsellable, but we really really don't want to lose JJ this season.

If we keep Johnson, then if/when he gets injured again, the people who said we should keep him at all costs will probably be the same ones saying we should have sold him when we got the chance.

I'm a fan of Johnson, and agree he could make a big difference to the team, but I also see the logic of cashing in the chips on a player who's now over thirty, approaching the end of his contract, and who's seemingly become quite injury prone over the last year or two.

I don't mean sell him for a pittance, but like I said before if we can get three well-off clubs in an auction for his services we could actually cash in on a player and get more than he's actually worth - and when was the last time that happened?

Selling a player for a small transfer fee, just because he may get injured again. You can't go about business like that, even if you are in as much financial poo poo as us. Seeing as the reward is going to be smaller than the risk we've got to keep him.

Oh, and JJ's injury record isn't even that bad for us, to the people saying he is injury prone.

07/08 - 40 first team appearances

08/09 - 38 first team appearances

09/10 - 36 first team appearances

Edited by Wath-owl

Selling a player for a small transfer fee, just because he may get injured again. You can't go about business like that, even if you are in as much financial poo poo as us. Seeing as the reward is going to be smaller than the risk we've got to keep him.

I don't mean sell him for a small transfer fee - see paragraph 3 of my post. Let's try and get somebody to pay well over the odds for one of our players for a change, like other clubs do but we never do.