Without The Ball.

When we haven't got posession we are truly awful. We just do not pressure the ball and man in posession. We've been like it ever since Irvine took charge and today it seemed to be worse than ever.

I lost count the amount of times a Chesterfield player had the ball faced with a Wednesday player, who just stood off him or backed away allowing the player to move the ball onto his right or left foot, run forward with the ball, pick a pass. They had so much time, they could have quite easily brewed up, drank it and still picked a pass. Embarrassing we allow team to do this.

We need to close the ball, close players down with or without the ball, apply pressure to the team in posession. Good players don't like pressure on them, lesser players (League One & Two) certainly don't.

Basically our total play out of posession needs sorting. But I can't see Irvine doing it, players are scared shitless of moving from the shape/position.

Needs sorting because teams (no matter what level) will hurt you if you don't pressure the ball.

Pressure creates mistakes.

Like I say needs sorting asap, but Irvine won't and we won't go up.

Guest Woz1867

I completely agree!

Watch a spanish side, when they lose the ball they are like flies around sH!t trying to win the ball back.

Too many times tonight i felt we allowed Chesterfield to play at will.

we played too far too deep at times no wonder we go down at home, somethings needs to be sorted thats for sure

Agree with this and the OP

We seem content in keeping the ball in front of our midfielders and giving the opponents a 10 yard circle to work with. Numerous times this resulted in crosses being put in. Needs sorting

Guest Spireites

Ok as a spireite i think you miss a general. A leader.

We missed mark allott tonight he is our main man but i was surprised that you lacked bite.

We are a good football side and make a mistake against us we'll stick a dangerous ball in. Fine. But you did not win many battles...infact the standing off was poor for 2 reasons. 1....whilst u kept your shape....you allowed our players to overlap...and 2...you allowed us possession too close to your final third.

I felt we were the better side but it was below par to how we can play. So i feel with the room you gave us...we blew it. Sort that out and get yourself a general....you'll be fine.

partly down to potter being completely static and coke having to do two jobs in the centre.

Jones is poor deffensively and buxton is constantly covering for sedgewick.

drop Potter for Miller, then drop sedgewick for Spur, bring Jones into midfield and let teale go on the right

if that isnt working then drop tudgay to the wing and put another stiker on

When we haven't got posession we are truly awful. We just do not pressure the ball and man in posession. We've been like it ever since Irvine took charge and today it seemed to be worse than ever.

I lost count the amount of times a Chesterfield player had the ball faced with a Wednesday player, who just stood off him or backed away allowing the player to move the ball onto his right or left foot, run forward with the ball, pick a pass. They had so much time, they could have quite easily brewed up, drank it and still picked a pass. Embarrassing we allow team to do this.

We need to close the ball, close players down with or without the ball, apply pressure to the team in posession. Good players don't like pressure on them, lesser players (League One & Two) certainly don't.

Basically our total play out of posession needs sorting. But I can't see Irvine doing it, players are scared shitless of moving from the shape/position.

Needs sorting because teams (no matter what level) will hurt you if you don't pressure the ball.

Pressure creates mistakes.

Like I say needs sorting asap, but Irvine won't and we won't go up.

It's been quite plain to see for some time now, and was obvious again last night that we lack pace. Because irvine brought in these proven championship players very nearly all of them have one thing in common, they are older and lack pace. If they are forwards then when they have the ball they can't shake off their marker, or beat a man and leave him for dead. As for the closing down issue, then we don't as we fear not having the engine to go 90 mins., or as you say being caught out of their rigid positions. Their second last night, Purse was out of position because he lacked pace, knowing he hadn't the pace to cover with, he had to anticipate the flight, then Buxton's flick caught him out, and we look like the keystone cops again. This side appears way short of fitness despite what certain players were saying pre season, I'm thinking we have a struggle on to make the play off's. The number of sides I've seen this season who move into space off the ball better than us is frightening, sides continually look to run rings around us, and then close us down when we are in possession, Alan Irvine is not the man for me to get us promoted, he has too many failings, as do a number of his signings, namely lacking pace.

Edited by dnhc

partly down to potter being completely static and coke having to do two jobs in the centre.

drop Potter for Miller, then drop sedgewick for Spur, bring Jones into midfield and let teale go on the right

^^^^ EXACTLY THIS ^^^^^^

I agree completely

Good teams have a midfielder who gets the ball in front of the defenders then drives forwards into the opponents half, forcing the opponents to back-pedal.

Potter doesn't. He plays safe every time and this means the opponents can just form a line in front of him to block him or to pressurize him.

Why the coaches can't see this is beyond me.

Guest owls_4_life

We are far too 'nice' as a team. Completely agree with OP, we stand off far too much and it's so easy for the opposition to play around us and through us.

If we were more aggressive then this would be one of the problems that would get sorted.

We stand off and watch the opposition play around us

We put half hearted tackles in that lack any sort of passion

We take ages taking throw ins/ counter attacking which gives the opposition time to get back

A better team than Chesterfield would have punished us last night for these shocking tactics

Guest Sheff Owl

Our team/squad are wimps if we are being honest...when the going get's tough where are the players to get stuck in and make teams feel uncomfortable?

We seem to respect teams so much that we might as well give them a goal start because we are so nice.

I really do worry the way Irvine sets us up, i mean when we lose the ball instead of trying to win it back straight away we seem to think about our positioning more than winning the ball back - we seem to be on automatic to get back into 2 banks of 4 asap - i noticed it a hell of a lot more last night.

They are not robots Irvine you have to give them freedom to be able to play, instead of trying to wipe all the creativity and pace out of the team...

Jones for example seems to be under instruction not to go forward too much which is criminal really, he has a fantastic left foot - so lets bloody use it.

Guest owls_4_life

I'm sure I saw Buxton actually choose to get back in position rather than collect a loose ball on numerous occasions tonight.

It was like his mind was all jizzed up and wasn't really working logically due to the demands of needing to keep the shape.

Very likely, like someone has said in the other thread about Coke not going forward as much now as when he first signed, it's like we're trying to keep a rigid shape that cannot be changed under any circumstances. Problem is that becomes very predictable to play against. We need someone to be spontaneous every now and again (a la Coke's goal vs Bury)

It's all very well blaming Purse for us playing deep - but if we don't pressure the ball then we have to play deep by default

You cannot play a high line and not pressure the ball - it'd be like Christmas for the opposition

you can't shove that back line of ours further up field, if you do it will be done for pace all the time, beevers hasn't the pace to cover purse, and i saw purse take a booking earlier in the season caught on the half way line with no cover...was it brighton?...the whole team lacks pace, it's an essential to an english modern day game i'm afraid...