Name you favourite manager?

Guest S6 Kop Owl

It would be interesting to see the ages of those who put Atkinson ahead of Jack Charlton. I'd imagine all us oldies who were around in Jack's day would have him top without a second thought.

Atkinson achieved a great deal on the pitch but that's nothing compared to what Jack did for this club.

I'd agree 100% with this post but that would make me one of the oldies.

(I'm officially an oldy)

Bob Brown did it !

Harry Catterick would have done it !

Alan Brown almost fluked it !

Vic Buckingham was 20 years before his time !

We all wanted Dooley to do it, oh how we wanted Dooley to do it !

Jack Charlton refloated the Titanic !

Howard Wilkinson sailed her to New York !

Ron Atkinson brought home the Bacon for the first time in 56 years !

Trevor Francis could and should have done it but he had n't seen the missing link play on grass !

And the winners are tied for first place Bob Brown (for his 2 championships and 1 FA cup) Dead heating with Jack Charlton (for his massive rescue job) By a nose from Big Ron (for bringing in the first silverware for 56 years)

Bob Brown did it !

Harry Catterick would have done it !

Alan Brown almost fluked it !

Vic Buckingham was 20 years before his time !

We all wanted Dooley to do it, oh how we wanted Dooley to do it !

Jack Charlton refloated the Titanic !

Howard Wilkinson sailed her to New York !

Ron Atkinson brought home the Bacon for the first time in 56 years !

Trevor Francis could and should have done it but he had n't seen the missing link play on grass !

And the winners are tied for first place Bob Brown (for his 2 championships and 1 FA cup) Dead heating with Jack Charlton (for his massive rescue job) By a nose from Big Ron (for bringing in the first silverware for 56 years)

wouldnt argue with that post mate ...

Due to being in the younger generation of fans I'm going to go for Paul Sturrock. Got us promoted, then kept us up.

Not really much else to choose from since I started going (99/00)

Jack Charlton.

Saved SWFC from slipping into Division Four and probably out of business (well before HMRC got involved).

He instilled pride back into the Club after years of ridicule.

Took the eventual FA Cup Winners (Arsenal) five games to knock us out when we were a Third Division team

Got us out of the Third and to the edge of the First.

Under him we beat Sheffield United 4-0 in front of 49,309 fans at Hillsborough. Read that again, over 49,000 for a Third Division (League One if you prefer) game.

We were never relegated under Big Jack.

He left with dignity not like some I could mention (character in the Bible), the same person that managed to get us relegated on one occasion.

Jack Charlton was the greatest (certainly post war) manager of Sheffield Wednesday ................you may now close the thread.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This, undoubtedly my favourite because unquestionably he saved us and made us respected again.

Never forget the day we appointed him. We'd beaten Chessy 1-0 and knew he was in the ground so we started chanting his name. He'd been in the North Stand at at the whistle walked across the pitch and down the tunnel to talk to the board. I dashed home and tuned into Radio Sheffield. About 7 o'clock we heard he'd taken us on and I went nuts as if we'd scored the winner at Wembley, reason - simple he had such charisma and strength of character I knew we were saved!

To put in current day terms it would be like Jose Mourinho, Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger (pick your personal favourite) suddenly becoming our manager. :cool:

Clumber does make an exceptionally good point, and I must confess that I was only born in '79 which speaks volumes, but Ron not only got us playing the best football we ever played but he came back and did it again. His second stint at Wednesday was fantastic to watch too. If only Richards had not been so petty...

Big Ron

Followed by Big Jack (we need another Big manager me thinks)

As an oldie I certainly don't want to put down what JC did for us. He will always be a hero of mine, for what he achieved and for being a top bloke.

However, RA produced the most wonderful, sublime football that I've ever seen played in the blue and white stripes and to have given me the chance to see us win a trophy at Wembley, he will always be number one for me. If only we could have those days back.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This, undoubtedly my favourite because unquestionably he saved us and made us respected again.

Never forget the day we appointed him. We'd beaten Chessy 1-0 and knew he was in the ground so we started chanting his name. He'd been in the North Stand at at the whistle walked across the pitch and down the tunnel to talk to the board. I dashed home and tuned into Radio Sheffield. About 7 o'clock we heard he'd taken us on and I went nuts as if we'd scored the winner at Wembley, reason - simple he had such charisma and strength of character I knew we were saved!

To put in current day terms it would be like Jose Mourinho, Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger (pick your personal favourite) suddenly becoming our manager. :cool:

Yeah and also it should never be forgoten he was a right tight arse ! lol

Guest Stereophonics

Licked?

Milked?

Licked. He also asked me to find his £1.5 million hole. Wasn't sure what he meant at the time but looking back I got it badly wrong.