Name you favourite manager?

Guest S6 Kop Owl

Guest clumber58

Jack Charlton.

Saved SWFC from slipping into Division Four and probably out of business (well before HMRC got involved).

He instilled pride back into the Club after years of ridicule.

Took the eventual FA Cup Winners (Arsenal) five games to knock us out when we were a Third Division team

Got us out of the Third and to the edge of the First.

Under him we beat Sheffield United 4-0 in front of 49,309 fans at Hillsborough. Read that again, over 49,000 for a Third Division (League One if you prefer) game.

We were never relegated under Big Jack.

He left with dignity not like some I could mention (character in the Bible), the same person that managed to get us relegated on one occasion.

Jack Charlton was the greatest (certainly post war) manager of Sheffield Wednesday ................you may now close the thread.

I am with Clumber, Ron Atkinson was great for Wednesday but Jack Charlton has to be the greatest we have had for all the reason Clumber mentioned.

I think its fair to say that Len Ashurst steadied the ship and halted the decline but it was Jack Charlton who changed the culture of the club and most of his team went back up under Wilko in 83-84.

The last time we were in this mess our managerial appointments, Ashurst, Charlton and Wilkinson were tremendous, brave and ambitous moves by the board of the time.

Guest GlennWhelan

Jack Charlton.

Saved SWFC from slipping into Division Four and probably out of business (well before HMRC got involved).

Took the eventual FA Cup Winners (Arsenal) five games to knock us out when we were a Third Division team

Under him we beat Sheffield United 4-0 in front of 49,309 fans at Hillsborough. Read that again, over 49,000 for a Third Division (League One if you prefer) game.

He left with dignity not like some I could mention (character in the Bible), the same person that managed to get us relegated on one occasion.

Jack Charlton was the greatest (certainly post war) manager of Sheffield Wednesday ................you may now close the thread.

You've got that spot on m8..... i'll second that

I knew people would say Big Ron and i agree he was an amazing manager no doubt...

but when Big Jack was here i recall he came and sat up with the fans and if i recall it right he was also not on a contract and he said when the fans wanted rid of him he would do the honourable thing and resign unlike some managers these days who would kill a club just until they are sacked and get their compensation pay-off

Atkinson - a massive managerial talent who we were so lucky to have (both times).

Silver medal to Tricky Trev, who gave me some of my best SWFC memories and signed some tremendous players in his early seasons in charge (Warhurst, Walker, Waddle stand out).

Bronze to Brian Laws - the only manager in the past 10 years who had us playing anything like decent football and the only manager since we dropped from the Prem who looked like he might be able to get us back there.

It would be interesting to see the ages of those who put Atkinson ahead of Jack Charlton. I'd imagine all us oldies who were around in Jack's day would have him top without a second thought.

Atkinson achieved a great deal on the pitch but that's nothing compared to what Jack did for this club

Jack Charlton.

spot on, big ron runs him a close second

Big Jack, for many reasons, but mostly because he completely rescued Wednesday. It was also Jack who took an average (If not wee wee poor) midfield youngster, played him at full back and unearthed a Wednesday legend who became the first Wednesday player to win anEngland cap for many a year. Ziko of course, who would probably not even have made it as a pro but for Jack Charlton.

He also wore a 'Magic Hat'.........................