I always bought a Match Programme at every home match until 21st March 1987 for the game against Manchester United. I used to enter the North Stand via the Leppings Lane end in those days and the programme sellers had gone. Never mind, I thought not getting a programme might bring us some luck as we had n't won a league game at Hillsborough in 1987. Our last had been a 2-0 against Newcastle on Dec 21st.

Hirsty was a youngster, he was fast as lightning and as strong as an Ox. I wanted him in the side HW held him back, too much I thought. He was sub on that day and got a last minute winner. I saw not getting a Programme as some kind of omen and have n't bought one since.

However not long after this we saw the emergence of the Fanzine. The two I remember that I used to patronise were "Cheat" Created by Chriss Hogg of Chapeltown created because of the unfair treatment that we always seemed to get from referees and more latterly "The war of the Monster Trucks" so named becaus YTV (Leeds) chose to televise WOTMT rather than the celebrations of the Wednesday's first trophy for 56 years.

Can anyone shed any light where and why the Fanzines have evaporated, one of the best footy products ever. Hardly surprising it was a fans initiative !

Regards

Can anyone shed any light where and why the Fanzines have evaporated,

I used to buy 'view from the eastbank' too(?). I think that is what is was called.

Wasn't there another one?

Been discussed on here. General consensus was that the internet killed them.

Can't even get your costs back?

Spitting Feathers effectively replaced AVFTEB when Graham Lightfoot took over as Editor.

Having contributed to both but particularly SF these were not surprisingly my favourites.

Another good one was Just Another Wednesday.

There are 2 main reasons that fanzines started to disappear

1, The internet

2, Fanzines got poo poo

Wednesday were never really well served with fanzines imo - i say that as an avid reader of the damn things

Bedst Wednesday fanzines for me were Cheat and Boddle - other Wednesday fanzines were Just Another Wednesday, Blue and White Wizard, Spitting Feathers (another good one) - along with the aforementioned

In the 70's there was a Wednesday fazine called "The eyes of the Kop" (i think that's what it was called but memory fades a bit)

I always bought a Match Programme at every home match until 21st March 1987 for the game against Manchester United. I used to enter the North Stand via the Leppings Lane end in those days and the programme sellers had gone. Never mind, I thought not getting a programme might bring us some luck as we had n't won a league game at Hillsborough in 1987. Our last had been a 2-0 against Newcastle on Dec 21st.

Hirsty was a youngster, he was fast as lightning and as strong as an Ox. I wanted him in the side HW held him back, too much I thought. He was sub on that day and got a last minute winner. I saw not getting a Programme as some kind of omen and have n't bought one since.

However not long after this we saw the emergence of the Fanzine. The two I remember that I used to patronise were "Cheat" Created by Chriss Hogg of Chapeltown created because of the unfair treatment that we always seemed to get from referees and more latterly "The war of the Monster Trucks" so named becaus YTV (Leeds) chose to televise WOTMT rather than the celebrations of the Wednesday's first trophy for 56 years.

Can anyone shed any light where and why the Fanzines have evaporated, one of the best footy products ever. Hardly surprising it was a fans initiative !

Regards

I used to get one for each match. I remember, they were 2 or 3 going at the same time but they seem to decline more and more, from the 2 or 3 for each match to 1 every month and then none at all. Some good ones too, WOTMT, Out of the Blue (Which I wrote in sometimes), Spitting Feather and A View From The East Bank were my favourites and they were some good columnist and also some good sketches from the artist Pete Mckee. As mentioned before, they couldnt even get the money back what it took to publish and print the mags by the end, due to people losing interest because of the rise of the internet. Sad really because I'd still buy one anytime over a programme. UTO

internet killed the fanzine

CLASSIC OWLSTALK THREAD

:laugh:

I used to buy them all and always bought the other teams fanzines either at away games or behind the West Stand if they had vendors at Hillsborough.

Although I have online subscriptions to magazines I still like the feel of paper in my hand.

I've got a copy of 'War of the Monster Trucks' somewhere, probably boxed up at my Mum's house. It's the only 1 I ever got. I went to a game in '93 with my social worker (I was a bit of a promble child, disruptive, always arguing with the teachers). :biggrin:

I was allowed a reward if I behaved well at school for a week and asked him to take me to a match. He knew nothing about footy and just kept shouting "faster faster" which was highly embarrassing. When I asked for a program he went off and came back with the above fanzine! :blink:

:biggrin:

:laugh:

I used to buy them all and always bought the other teams fanzines either at away games or behind the West Stand if they had vendors at Hillsborough.

Although I have online subscriptions to magazines I still like the feel of paper in my hand.

I would have liked the feel of paper in my hand in the Notts C toilets yesterday ! lol

I've got a copy of 'War of the Monster Trucks' somewhere, probably boxed up at my Mum's house. It's the only 1 I ever got. I went to a game in '93 with my social worker (I was a bit of a promble child, disruptive, always arguing with the teachers). :biggrin:

I was allowed a reward if I behaved well at school for a week and asked him to take me to a match. He knew nothing about footy and just kept shouting "faster faster" which was highly embarrassing. When I asked for a program he went off and came back with the above fanzine! :blink:

:biggrin:

Brilliant I just love your honesty ! so much a song springs to mind...........

"Under ground over ground Prombleing free the prombles of Penistone Road are we....... "

Love you Donny Owl great reply mate ! lol