Just Got Back Thread

One of my mates is a massive Man Utd fan and the poor bugger gets pulled to many a Wednesday game with me. A few weeks ago he managed to get tickets for Sunderland vs Man Utd today, so I felt I owed him one and went to the game (missing Wednesday finally winning!).

Anyway, we arrived in Sunderland at lunch and went to the nearest water hole in the town centre - a Whetherspoons, William something or other. Sat down for the first pint and a few United fans came over for a chat. They asked if we were United, mate said he was but I'm a Wednesdayite - that was it, the United fans talked about Wednesday for over an hour; massive club, jokers running us into the ground, the games between us in the 90's, missing out on a tripto Hillsborough in the League Cup this year (they were gutted!), would love to see us back in the Prem, and if course I mention League Cup 1991!

Was great to hear fans of the biggest club in the country speak so fondly and so enthusiastic about Wednesday - and was surprised to hear they are vaguely aware of how our decline has come about.

As if that wasn't enough, got outside the ground and a bit of bother was about to kick off as a group of Su derland fans heard my mates mate talking about Newcastle playing City in a Manchester accent. I had a word and one lad asked if I was United too, so replied saying I support Wednesday. The lads soon chilled out and spent 5 mins talking about Wednesday being a superb club and the fans being one of the best traveling support in the world (not just country!). They even offered to buy us a beer to have more football chat!

So, whilst I've had to endure a game that was as dull as Owls v Oldham in mid-week - and pay £35 for the pleasure - it was fantastic to hear Premier League clubs still talking about Wednesday in such a positive way.

Wish I'd been to see the boys turn over County though!

One of my mates is a massive Man Utd fan and the poor bugger gets pulled to many a Wednesday game with me. A few weeks ago he managed to get tickets for Sunderland vs Man Utd today, so I felt I owed him one and went to the game (missing Wednesday finally winning!).

Anyway, we arrived in Sunderland at lunch and went to the nearest water hole in the town centre - a Whetherspoons, William something or other. Sat down for the first pint and a few United fans came over for a chat. They asked if we were United, mate said he was but I'm a Wednesdayite - that was it, the United fans talked about Wednesday for over an hour; massive club, jokers running us into the ground, the games between us in the 90's, missing out on a tripto Hillsborough in the League Cup this year (they were gutted!), would love to see us back in the Prem, and if course I mention League Cup 1991!

Was great to hear fans of the biggest club in the country speak so fondly and so enthusiastic about Wednesday - and was surprised to hear they are vaguely aware of how our decline has come about.

As if that wasn't enough, got outside the ground and a bit of bother was about to kick off as a group of Su derland fans heard my mates mate talking about Newcastle playing City in a Manchester accent. I had a word and one lad asked if I was United too, so replied saying I support Wednesday. The lads soon chilled out and spent 5 mins talking about Wednesday being a superb club and the fans being one of the best traveling support in the world (not just country!). They even offered to buy us a beer to have more football chat!

So, whilst I've had to endure a game that was as dull as Owls v Oldham in mid-week - and pay £35 for the pleasure - it was fantastic to hear Premier League clubs still talking about Wednesday in such a positive way.

Wish I'd been to see the boys turn over County though!

Top Post!

Totally unrelated, but friend just told me today after we played football, that he sow buss full of English tourists with a Wednesday scarf displayed for everyone to see :happy:

Dunno why, but it filled me with pride :blush: