Centre Midfield system is the problem

We could play Gerrard, Lampard, or anybody in our centre midfield, the problem would always be the same - why do they play so deep ?

Last night Coke was playing only yards in front of the centre halves with O'connor not much further forward, Mr irvine must have told them to operate like this !

We are the home side and should be attacking in numbers, instead balls are launched up to the strikers with no support at all from the centre midfield.

Weaver throws balls out to the full backs who get about 20 yards forward then again no support inside from anybody. Giles Coke seems to have lost all confidence,

last night he rarely made any attacking runs at all. Surely Coke should the attacking centre midfielder playing 30 yds further forward with O'Connor just behind

him ready to snuff out the oppositions attacks then giving the ball to a more attacking minded midfielder.

When the wingers do get a cross in ,again there are very few bodies in the area.

Combine this with no pace up front, a defence that defends too deep, two centre halves that can't dribble the ball out of defence and set-pieces that either hit the first

player or go so high the keeper collects at the back post then the writing is on the wall !

Guest christheowl

It was the same last season, It was the main reason behind our relegation. We are crying out for an attacking midfielder. I thought coke was the solution, but he seems to be falling into the trap now. There is just no support for the front two at times which means going down the line and getting a pointless throwing at best !

We could play Gerrard, Lampard, or anybody in our centre midfield, the problem would always be the same - why do they play so deep ?

Last night Coke was playing only yards in front of the centre halves with O'connor not much further forward, Mr irvine must have told them to operate like this !

We are the home side and should be attacking in numbers, instead balls are launched up to the strikers with no support at all from the centre midfield.

Weaver throws balls out to the full backs who get about 20 yards forward then again no support inside from anybody. Giles Coke seems to have lost all confidence,

last night he rarely made any attacking runs at all. Surely Coke should the attacking centre midfielder playing 30 yds further forward with O'Connor just behind

him ready to snuff out the oppositions attacks then giving the ball to a more attacking minded midfielder.

When the wingers do get a cross in ,again there are very few bodies in the area.

Combine this with no pace up front, a defence that defends too deep, two centre halves that can't dribble the ball out of defence and set-pieces that either hit the first

player or go so high the keeper collects at the back post then the writing is on the wall !

Even if we had someone in the box it's very unlikely we'd score from a cross. There is no difference from crossing the ball or hoofing it long from the back, both are wee wee easy to defend against.

Guest wednesday83

The manager insists on stopping the opposition rather than destroying the opposition. Thats the problem. He needs to put his clip board down and tell his players to attack.

For me we need to drop Tudgay. Yes he works hard and hes good at getting back deffending, but to be quite honest I dont want my strikers doing that. I want my strikers up front in the box banging the goals in.

Playing central midfilders wide never works. Why play Miller out left??? Why play Coke out wide like he has a few times????

Ive said it before and i'll say it again - we have got to stop worrying about the opposition - make them worry about us.

From a pure footballing perspective, we have no creativity whatsoever. No flair players, nobody capable of creating chances for others on a regular basis.

irvine would die of shame if he'd signed any flair players...and everyone must be really slow at everything they do...if you're not sure how to do this, give it to potter...

Guest Bobs Brain Tonic

From a pure footballing perspective, we have no creativity whatsoever. No flair players, nobody capable of creating chances for others on a regular basis.

[/quote

We play with(and have done for some time) a back 4 made up of 4 centre backs.

As already been said Coke seems to have gone backwards (in position) add O'connor and we've got 2 def midfielders.

Sedgwick seems to have invented a new defensive winger position.

Other wing is occupied by Miller/Coke so we don't get width.

Tudgay (because we're clearly not defensive minded enough yet) is a defensive striker.

The lack of movement from our players is the biggest problem. That and the fact we've been carrying a passenger in the middle of the park for 30+ games in a row bar Tuesday night. We have to use space better and use the width of the pitch. We are so predictable at times it's infuriating.

Even if we had someone in the box it's very unlikely we'd score from a cross. There is no difference from crossing the ball or hoofing it long from the back, both are wee wee easy to defend against.

That just isn't true. There's a world of difference. Defending quality crosses is 100 times harder than dealing with long balls. Defending balls whipped in with pace from wide areas is very difficult.

That just isn't true. There's a world of difference. Defending quality crosses is 100 times harder than dealing with long balls. Defending balls whipped in with pace from wide areas is very difficult.

Yes it is, you only have to slightly nudge the striker when he's jumping for the ball and he's got no chance of scoring, especially since he has such a small target to aim at. I'm not saying you can't score from crosses but if you watch the MOTD highlights on TV, you'll see that most goals don't come from crosses regardless of which division you're playing in.

Edited by pgmetcalf

as a striker in my youth i would chase every ball, high ,low to feet or passed through defence ,constantly moving ,if you are marked by a brick whatsit ,you let him know you are there,goals were never a problem to me ,now from reading these post's our strikers do not seem mobile enough wanting ball to feet all the time, it just doesen't work if thats the case,Al should know this and utiliz :e the midfield to interpret what service is needed ,I was a center forward ,i am 5ft 11" regulararly playing at a decent level against the preverbial brick s----thouse ,never worried me still did the job ,what i am trying to prove is a decent ball,or any ball in the box has to be attacked ,if you wait for it to feet all the time ,you lose it or the chance is gone ,IE, no shots = no goals ,

Easy this football manager lark aint it , :biggrin:

Edited by trevdi9

maybe thats why they do it, i get your point though, that said irvine has never found his preffered team, in pre season he was playing various players in various positions in various games, we said it then and we can say it now, he still doesnt know his best side to play each week.

Guest kop_owl

Giles Coke was one of our best players in the first few games of the season (if not the best.) So why, oh WHY, when things get abit tough does he shove Coke out wide and put O'Conoor and Potter in the middle, you know, the same partnership that sent us down!!!!

Irvine hasn't a clue.