Sick of hearing about how good oposition is

Guest intercity0wl

Guest TimeToGo

Instead of talking about what the opposition can do, why the hell doesnt he talk about how good we are and what we can do. Any one would have thought we are playing a champions league opposition on saturday!

WE WANT OUR WEDNESDAY BACK! SACK THE BOARD!

Published Date: 24 September 2010

By Paul Thompson

SOUTHAMPTON striker Rickie Lambert could be the biggest threat to Wednesday tomorrow.

He is just one of the reasons why Alan Irvine regards Saints with healthy respect despite their third-from-bottom placing and run of five games without a goal or win.

Lambert, a 6ft 2in Liverpudlian, scored 37 goals last season and won the PFA League One Player of the Year title.

A £1 million signing from Bristol Rovers just over a year ago, he has notched only two goals for Saints this season and the team have faltered despite having been among the promotion favourites.

But the Owls manager expects the striker and his team to hit form sooner or later and hopes their revival does not begin tomorrow.

"Lambert hasn't started firing yet, but he will do," says the Owls manager. "He's a proven scorer and there's no reason why he won't do it again.

"They have others strikers as well, wide players who are good, midfield players who are capable of getting goals, and an experienced keeper and defenders. I look at their team and it's a good one.

"Yes, they're going through a difficult spell. But I expect them to be challenging up there by the end of the season. They're going to score soon but hopefully not against us.

"I watched them recently at MK Dons: they lost 2-0 but were the better team in the first half. If they had scored in that half, as they probably should have done, then it's likely they would have gone on and won. MK Dons got better better in the second half and did score when they were on top.

"There's plenty of time for Southampton to get the points they need to be at the top end. There's no question that once they click, they will be a very good team.

"That game was like a lot of others I have watched: the margins are very fine. It could easily have gone Southampton's way. they are probably one result away from beginning a very good run."

Irvine, to illustrate his point that fortunes can easily go either way, also harks back to Saints' first game of the season: "They lost 1-0 to Plymouth but played well. Had they won that gamne, Alan (Pardew] might still have been in a job, Nigel (Adkins] might still have been at Sflaphorpe, and Southampton might have been at the top of the league."

Adkins, whose appointment after the sacking of Pardew coincided with the start of the goal-less run, has a couple of undisclosed injury problems after last week's 0-0 draw with Colchester.

Having led Sflaphorpe to friendly and Carling Cup wins against the Owls within the last two months, he said: "I am well versed in how Alan likes to set his team up and they will be very hard working, very well organised.

"The last four times I've played them I've played four different ways so we want to keep them guessing."

Edited by scram

Guest Briscoe Inferno

And Irvine loses the game before a ball has been kicked.

I don't want my expectations managed.

We have enough talent at this club, in this league, to want them exceeded...

Guest intercity0wl

There is nothing wrong with having respect for any team we are playing but come on, no matter who they have in their side results and league position suggests they are not world beaters,

How about for once instead of having inteviews on the OS, on RS and in the local press saying how we are in for a very difficult game and will have to be organised and alert to get anything out of the game why not for once just talk about our strenghs and how we intend to make their lives hell for 90 mnutes.

Im not daft enough to beleive we are going to have anything other than games where we are going to have to be on form to get a result in every game we play, am just sick of reading about it every week.

"Lambert hasn't started firing yet, but he will do," says the Owls manager. "He's a proven scorer and there's no reason why he won't do it again.

"They have others strikers as well, wide players who are good, midfield players who are capable of getting goals, and an experienced keeper and defenders. I look at their team and it's a good one."

Whooop di doooo... what a load of f'ucking waffle..... bow down to the amazing Southampton.... they brim with the samba skills of the south coast.

FOOOOOOOOK OFF

It's all nicey nicey wee wee tail tickling poo from AI again.... they've been spanked on a number of occasions this season, they are obviously low on confidence, get stuck into the over hyped fekkas.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY in this league should strike fear into us. I wish we'd take the 'us against the world approach' (similar to Warnocks)... we're not in League 1 to make friends.... stop being a soft c'unt Alan.

I dont think Irvine is managing expectations and I dont think theres anything wrong with showing you know what youre up against. I wouldnt want him to give any indication on how we will play other than that we will be on the attack.

Im more concerned that he doesnt say that there will definately be changes, but I think there will be, hes playing his cards close to his chest.

FFS

We have a back 4 that live on their nerves.

When they read this, they will be suicidal when the ball goes anywhere near them.

He should be in the papers, and on the TV, telling people we have the best squad and players in this league and we are gonna bust you up.

FFS

Guest Briscoe Inferno

I dont think Irvine is managing expectations and I dont think theres anything wrong with showing you know what youre up against. I wouldnt want him to give any indication on how we will play other than that we will be on the attack.

Im more concerned that he doesnt say that there will definately be changes, but I think there will be, hes playing his cards close to his chest.

There's respect for the opposition and then there's an article that would sit comfortably on the back page of the Southampton Echo under the headline - 'C'mon boys, they're sh1tting themselves'.........

Completely agree with what everyone has said.

It's getting boring now, seriously.

'Bigging up' the opposition every game. Yes have respect for the opposition, yes plan and prepare for the match.

BUT, he should be focusing on OUR threats, our players strengths.

No team in this division could live with a midfield of Tudgay, Coke, Miller, Teale and a front two of Mellor and Morrison.

As mentioned numerous times, we need to lose the shackles and play to win rather than playing not to lose.

Guest gringo69

Don't know which is worse, our repetitive manager or the repetitive journo's/team selection/formation/tactics/substitutions.

Its like he's softening the blow, but before the blow happens, or, putting a crash mat in place to soften the landing, before we fall ?????

Sorry Alan, but just because you say so, aint good enough any more pal. Very worrying mentality and not even reverse psychology.

Thing is, we are now so predictable and repetitive, we're getting found out with better players this season against worse teams.

Southamptons league position is for a reason you numpty, grow a pair, make the changes, pull their pants down and send 'em back to shandy land with nowt other than a sore backside. Uninspiring at best :mad::mad::mad::mad:

You would think that we're actually 2 divisions ABOVE where we used to be 10 years ago judging by this happening every week and not the reverse.

I did find it funny on FH last week when one of the Wednesday callers asked Andy to confirm who we we had played, as he thought it was barcelona that Ai was talking about and not Plymouth.

We should just go all out to batter them tomorrow. Four strikers up front!!!! :excl::excl::biggrin:

Completely agree with what everyone has said.

It's getting boring now, seriously.

'Bigging up' the opposition every game. Yes have respect for the opposition, yes plan and prepare for the match.

BUT, he should be focusing on OUR threats, our players strengths.

No team in this division could live with a midfield of Tudgay, Coke, Miller, Teale and a front two of Mellor and Morrison.

As mentioned numerous times, we need to lose the shackles and play to win rather than playing not to lose.

That midfield is bigger, stronger, quicker, full of ability and attacking threat....

Seems obvious doesn't it. Especially at home.

Guest Sheff Owl

flip me - STOP TALKING ABOUT THE OPPOSITION AND HOW GOOD THEY ARE!!!

He would gain a lot more respect in interviews if he just said something like 'Southampton are going through a difficult patch but i'm not here to really talk about Southampton it's no disrespect but i'm concentrating on Sheff Wed and going out to try and win the game' well you get what i mean.