A big problem with our team

I said this after the Dagenham match and got slated!

Jones and Otsemobor need to come in to help give us better attacking options from full back, I was impressed with them both against County!

I was impressed with them too in the Notts County game, but I went to Sflaphorpe where they were both dire, and I mean dire.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Buxtonian

Two points which become all too obvious to opponents very quickly -

1. We appear to have NO ONE who can control a ball and use a first touch.

2. No one seems to think of moving into open spaces to receive a ball.

As a defensive back four we are not too bad. They are well organised and are all sharp in the tackle.

But in my eyes one of the biggest shortfalls our team has is that none of our defenders are comfortable on the ball and their distribution is woeful.

On saturday Carlisle's forwards were pressing high up the pitch which resulted in our defenders hoofing it forward and bypassing midfield. It happened all last season as well. Without players at the back who can pick out a pass under pressure, we will never be able to settle into a rhythm or set up attacks on the break.

All opposing teams have to do is make sure they press high up the pitch and we go to poo poo.

It is no coincidence that our best runs of form in recent years came when we had the likes of Micheal Johnson and Madjid Bougherra in the team. Even Richard Wood used to take responsibility from the back and make a run into midfield to relieve pressure. Our back four just want to get rid of the ball as far away from them as possible to get out of the immediate difficulty.

Thoughts?

You could say there is a defensive problem, but apart from the hartlepool game i think we are lacking in the goal scoring department.

You really wouldn't think so with the talented line up we have.

Guest owls_4_life

I was impressed with them too in the Notts County game, but I went to Sflaphorpe where they were both dire, and I mean dire.

They were poor against Bury too.

Still would like to see a bit more of them though.

Guest Sheff Owl

Another problem we have we ALWAYS let the opposition player get a cross in, a full back's job is to stop the crosses from coming in - we give them so much time to do anything they want, we are too far away from the opposition...we give them so much space no wonder we are always in poo .

It's always the same back off, back off, back off - flipping GET STUCK IN!! Are we flipping wimps or something?

Guest totemowl

Football is foremost a team game. When we play poorly it's because the problems that started at the beginning of last season are happening again. That is, players aren't making themselves available for short passes, the midfield isn't supporting the defence, and so on.

This exposes individuals and makes it more likely they will lose the ball, look stupid, put a cross in that doesn't connect, etc.

I though that there were many times when Morrison was too far forward or was it the midfield and defence were too far behind? Any we were too stretched and have played better when defence, midfield and the forwards don't have the big gaps between each other.

Because we defend too deep due to Purse's lack of pace this causes the gaps.

Most other sides play a more compact game giving them more options on the ball, their movement is better also.

A lack of pace up front means the only passes available to the forwards are ones into feet rather than a defence splitting pass,

teams like Carlisle played these a few times but luckily Weaver came out tops on the one on ones.

Football is foremost a team game. When we play poorly it's because the problems that started at the beginning of last season are happening again. That is, players aren't making themselves available for short passes, the midfield isn't supporting the defence, and so on.

This exposes individuals and makes it more likely they will lose the ball, look stupid, put a cross in that doesn't connect, etc.

Beginning of last season? More like the previous 4 or 5 seasons before that.

Agree that the defence is proving to be a problem with the whole teams play.

Ideally we'll keep clean sheets and be strong at the back, although when it comes to playing the ball out, on a widend pitch we are both technically and physically unable.

To utilise the space and to spread the play to give our technically better players time or space we need to play simple balls up the line. This is simply not happening and having to turn back inside to rely on Purse to distrubute brings me round to the passing ability of Andy Pearce...Shocking distrubution. Hence 40 -50 yard long balls. Simply not good enough.

Back to basics....

Simple keep ball. On saturday we were well and truely beaten by a better footballing team.

Heres hoping we learn from our mistakes, although bein wednesday we wont.

Its at this point it became obvious you didn't actually know what you are talking about. Sad really.

I think you need to look in the mirror. Preston knew what they were doing getting rid of him. He had more than enough time and resources to save Wednesday from the drop last season and once things settle down, I think you will find Wednesday in a mid table position.

Guest Sheff Owl

IMO we are too negative - we are setting out with the mind frame of right let's not concede but if we can nick it then brilliant...

Yet that seems our ONLY plan if we go a goal behind we are buggered - over the last 2 games we have created nothing because everything is geared up negative.

We pick up the ball and pass it sideways, backwards or hold on to it too long, the movement most of the time is non existent, set pieces are pathetic, we take ages to take a throw in.

Then we keep punting the bugger up field, nobody can hold it up so it's coming straight back and then again the defence is under pressure and that's the cycle, you can't keep that up for 90 minutes.

I think you need to look in the mirror. Preston knew what they were doing getting rid of him. He had more than enough time and resources to save Wednesday from the drop last season and once things settle down, I think you will find Wednesday in a mid table position.

He narrowly missed out on promotion with Preston then had them in mid table when sacked (unfairly really) considering the club were doing pretty decent. Anyways its widely known the only reason they sacked him was to make way for Ferguson Jr who as most predicted despite lining his team with the kids from Daddy's team, has hardly set the world alight. His inheritance when he came to Wednesday was pitiful a team with a mere scattering of talent who had literally no interest in playing football. Slowly he is turning peoples heads around and slowly he is developing a team here.

But hey don't like the truth get in the way of you bashing whoever you like for whatever reason you like.

But.....................we have the joint tightest defence in the league???

How is that the problem.

I though the problem on Saturday was the lack of goals we scored.

Agreed, i saw the thread title i thought wtf!!

3 conceeded in 6 games, Defensively we are sound!!!

8 in 9 if you count Cup competitions and 4 of those came in the same game (Mr Hinds)

Defence is the LAST thing im worried about!!!

Edited by mark77

IMO we are too negative - we are setting out with the mind frame of right let's not concede but if we can nick it then brilliant...

Yet that seems our ONLY plan if we go a goal behind we are buggered - over the last 2 games we have created nothing because everything is geared up negative.

We pick up the ball and pass it sideways, backwards or hold on to it too long, the movement most of the time is non existent, set pieces are pathetic, we take ages to take a throw in.

Then we keep punting the bugger up field, nobody can hold it up so it's coming straight back and then again the defence is under pressure and that's the cycle, you can't keep that up for 90 minutes.

We have a winner.

Biggest problem is that if we concede first then we are fooked.

I'm surprised you think that, I think he has been our best defender from the games I have seen.

He is solid but on frequent occasions he has been a liability, ala Brentford Goal, giving scorer time and space, the Carlisle game where his positioning and pace was awful.