Wilko

We're all talking about the players and Alan Irvine but let's not forget the role played by Howard Wilkinson.

Before the season kicked off he pointed out from experience how difficult it would be to get out of this league at the first attempt. He pointed out only two teams had achieved that in a good number of seasons, one being Leicester, I forget whio the other team were. He then went out of his way to assist Alan Irvine, to ensure he had the funds to get the right players into the club for a promotion push.

I believe he also helped line up some of the players, and helped talk them into joining the club. I'd imagine a persuasive Chairman and manager works wonders when trying to get a player to sign on the dotted line.

Alan Irvine has also mentioned his respect for Wilko and thanked him for his assistance.

Wilko was another who got some stick from some on here when appointed although not from me I must add. I've seen enough of him first hand to know the man is a born winner.

Let's congratulate our Chairman for the role he has played too.

Well done Mr Wilkinson Sir

From an ex pupil of yours

Guest SPRINGS!

We're all talking about the players and Alan Irvine but let's not forget the role played by Howard Wilkinson.

Before the season kicked off he pointed out from experience how difficult it would be to get out of this league at the first attempt. He pointed out only two teams had achieved that in a good number of seasons, one being Leicester, I forget whio the other team were. He then went out of his way to assist Alan Irvine, to ensure he had the funds to get the right players into the club for a promotion push.

I believe he also helped line up some of the players, and helped talk them into joining the club. I'd imagine a persuasive Chairman and manager works wonders when trying to get a player to sign on the dotted line.

Alan Irvine has also mentioned his respect for Wilko and thanked him for his assistance.

Wilko was another who got some stick from some on here when appointed although not from me I must add. I've seen enough of him first hand to know the man is a born winner.

top post mate,

Guest Fulham Fox

I agree with the post but still do not believe that my record of being slippered 9 times in a single period was warranted.

You, Owlsman, were a teacher's pet AND you still are :biggrin:

Fair point that.

I fear if it wasn't for Wilko and the fact that he is held in such high regard within the game that...

a) Irvine wouldn't have had the budget he had to work with (considering the previous boards history).

and...

b) Being able to sell the club as well as he did.

I think Irvines interviews since he's bought in all the players as shown us how much of a roll Howard has played.

Guest SPRINGS!

And he's Wednesday through and through too.

Wish the Board we had at the time he left for Leeds had backed him to the hilt. Like Geedee says, under Wilko, in his prime as a manager, we would have won the league, I'm sure of it.

He Left for Leeds !

End of!

I agree with the post but still do not believe that my record of being slippered 9 times in a single period was warranted.

My only regret on hearing this Mark, is that I didn't witness that!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To be fair, Wilko never saw me as one of his golden kids. Dowdswell was the one who had more time for me. Wanted to teach me how to play golf. I preferred footie, rugby union, and cross country running though. Golf seemed far too sedate. Besides which I was poo at it :laugh:

:st2:

if only .....

Would make my job much easier !!

That, Simon, is arguably your best post on OT.

flip, slipped up there Jon didn't I? I'm going to end up with a + rating if I'm not careful.

..........scurries away to think of something controversial about takeovers, the board, Geoff Sheard, C9S, and sandals :biggrin:

Tbh I find it difficult to identify the impact he's made.... I very much doubt he's had any influence upon this squad.

apart from..... (Alan's words).... helping him identify and recrut players and making sure he got a budget to assemble a promotion chasing squad ?

....Carlton Palmer... C V N T ?

...Nigel Worthington.. C V N T ?

...John Pearson... C V N T ?

... Lee Chapman... C V N T ?

....some sound reasoning there...

You forgot to mention

Mel Sterland and Carl Shutt too!

Owlsman if you are an ex-pupil of HW's I take it you are ex Abbeydale Grange. If so PM me 'cos we probably know each other I was there at same time (in 6th form when Howard taught there). :rolleyes:

Edited by Utah Owl