Massive opportunity tomorrow

Tomorrow is'nt about statements it is'nt about the performance tomorrow is about winning it does'nt matter how f##king ugly it has to be the ONLY thing that matters is the win.People are getting too carried away yes we want to win well but its about building block by block building that points total ,those who we expect to challenge dropped points the saints and huddesfield at home for us to go and post an away win would be huge all it is about at present is winning and building the confidence it WILL be a long hard season possibly more so at home on the evidence we have seen with teams coming and working hard and making things difficult but credit to wednesday we have dealt with it hopefully we will get a bit more freedom to play tomorrow.Lets stay focused win our battles and do the little things right and give ourselves a platform to win the game but lets respect the opposition.

Can't disagree. A win's a win.

But wouldn't it be nice (just for once) to send out a statement. :biggrin:

Might be of interest to hear how others see us in this league at the moment. I went to the Real Salt Lake v New York game tonight and plenty of English club shirts in evidence. Stopped and had a chat with a Saints fan. He is already bricking it that there season is falling apart and reckons that we are going to walk this league.

I know it's early and this league has yet to settle down, bu if we can bag three points tomorrow and follow it up with another three next Saturday, then we really will have sent a massive statement to this league, namely "WE ARE BACK AND BE AFRAID, BECAUSE WHEN WE PLAY YOU WE ARE GOING TO TAKE YOU APART". We need to generate that sort of fear in our opponents, the same fear that for too many seasons has been part of the Wednesday psyche, and I reckon a couple more wins now will be enough to do it. If teams fear us before they even go on the pitch then that is half the battle won.

I am also massively pleased that this is Wilko's first season in charge as Chairman, thinking back to what he did here in his first season as manager. That season both us and Chelsea ripped the league apart and we both finished on what was then a record number of points (they only pipped us on goal difference), but after only four or five games both clubs had set the tone for the rest of the season and other clubs feared playing either of us because we were a class apart. I genuinely believe we are in a position to do the same this season, the only difference is that I really don't see anyone that has the calibre and depth of squad to push us all the way like Chelsea did that year.

Our time has come our time is now. Have faith and believe , this is going to be a great season for all Wednesdayites! :cool:

Guest blueshortswhitesocks

Might be of interest to hear how others see us in this league at the moment. I went to the Real Salt Lake v New York game tonight and plenty of English club shirts in evidence. Stopped and had a chat with a Saints fan. He is already bricking it that there season is falling apart and reckons that we are going to walk this league.

I know it's early and this league has yet to settle down, bu if we can bag three points tomorrow and follow it up with another three next Saturday, then we really will have sent a massive statement to this league, namely "WE ARE BACK AND BE AFRAID, BECAUSE WHEN WE PLAY YOU WE ARE GOING TO TAKE YOU APART". We need to generate that sort of fear in our opponents, the same fear that for too many seasons has been part of the Wednesday psyche, and I reckon a couple more wins now will be enough to do it. If teams fear us before they even go on the pitch then that is half the battle won.

I am also massively pleased that this is Wilko's first season in charge as Chairman, thinking back to what he did here in his first season as manager. That season both us and Chelsea ripped the league apart and we both finished on what was then a record number of points (they only pipped us on goal difference), but after only four or five games both clubs had set the tone for the rest of the season and other clubs feared playing either of us because we were a class apart. I genuinely believe we are in a position to do the same this season, the only difference is that I really don't see anyone that has the calibre and depth of squad to push us all the way like Chelsea did that year.

Our time has come our time is now. Have faith and believe , this is going to be a great season for all Wednesdayites! :cool:

One minute I think we'll win easily, the next minute I'm thinking but what if we don't perform and go down heavily - and on telly too! It's all too much!!

But at least it's exciting again and there's a genuine reason for optimism, not just one that comes from being a Wednesdayite with nothing else to back it up. On Wednesday night there were moments when I just felt that flutter of enjoyment that reminded me of the early 90s. I know it's a whole new ball-game in League 1 and I am not comparing the teams from then to now but I haven't seen passages of play like we put together in the JPT match for a long long time.

Come on Wednesday a win this afternoon on the box and we can all begin to genuinely rekindle those feelings associated with supporting a team that is really going places.

Right now I'm in a positive mood - so Brentford 1-3 Wednesday;............oh God.........I can feel a change of mood..............Brentford 3 - 1Wednesday. Can't bear it!!

As I said earlier in the thread, many fans have got too confident after beating Hartlepool.

Thats was like night and day, Hartlepool we clicked early today things didnt click on the deck and we lost ideas/confidence after about 20 mins and decided to boot it up field. Too many players had a bad day at the office, Sedgwick in particular seemed a bit nervy and our strikers were never in the game. Against a team with real pace and presence we suddenly looked vulnerable.

That was poo , there was no way this was going to be easy...we have the players to get us out of this league but were going to have to be a lot more consistent, if we can recreate good passing football on the deck and quick breaks then teams will struggle against us...but we havent done that today, we really missed a pacy outlet when things werent going to plan.

Pretty pissed off right now, that was a return to "hopefully we'll get the first goal, if we dont then we'll keep booting it and wait and see" from last season. They lapped up the long ball.

Pretty pissed off right now, that was a return to "hopefully we'll get the first goal, if we dont then we'll keep booting it and wait and see" from last season. They lapped up the long ball.

My thoughts exactly.

Once again our attacking play went out of window, replaced with token balls into the box.

My thoughts exactly.

Once again our attacking play went out of window, replaced with token balls into the box.

I think we are going to have to play like this at times and try to win ugly but we don't yet have anyone big enough or more importantly horrible enough to win the ball and bring other players in when other teams force us down the middle.

If we are going to go wide against this tactic then the players must get the ball in earlier (and the support in the middle) because the other team has time to get back and any gaps are closed.

I think we are going to have to play like this at times and try to win ugly but we don't yet have anyone big enough or more importantly horrible enough to win the ball and bring other players in when other teams force us down the middle.

If we are going to go wide against this tactic then the players must get the ball in earlier (and the support in the middle) because the other team has time to get back and any gaps are closed.

Nothing wrong with getting it wide and getting the crosses in.

However, we didn't do that today.

Our balls into the box were hopeless, with no purpose or direction, just token lumps.

Guest Fulham Fox

Our balls into the box were hopeless, with no purpose or direction, just token lumps.

And it got worse when we dispensed with the wide men.

There were times when we couldve got the ball in and we took the extra touch and they had settled back into defence, then there were others where we had time to take the touch and we didnt, such as Tudgays shot in the first half.

At least if we had pace in the team we could unsettle teams who are doing this, we needed to run at the box more, other than JJ we do have one or two pacy players and they shouldve been used.

It's because we lack pace so it takes one pass too many to get into a good crossing position and becomes hit and hope because everyones marked up.

We either need more pace to get there earlier while everyone's still tracking back and there are gaps to find or an horrible illegitimate who'll get in there and win the first ball/knock-downs/bobblers for others when there's little or no space.

Frustrating to watch because you know that if the opposition defenders do their job right it should be easy for them (like today).

It's because we lack pace so it takes one pass too many to get into a good crossing position and becomes hit and hope because everyones marked up.

We either need more pace to get there earlier while everyone's still tracking back and there are gaps to find or an horrible illegitimate who'll get in there and win the first ball/knock-downs/bobblers for others when there's little or no space.

Frustrating to watch because you know that if the opposition defenders do their job right it should be easy for them (like today).

Weve needed a target man for a while and its something weve neglected. I understand that Irvine wants to try and keep it on the deck but as we learnt under Laws, when our players lose their bottle doing it and result to hit and hope its more or less game over without one.