Massive opportunity tomorrow

Guest BarmyBetto

Just had a look on CUFC forum and they're saying they've sold 1,700 for next weeks game at Hillsborough.

They also seem a bit excited about a trip to S6, bit of a cup final for em, bless.... :laugh:

Link?

Good to see Soton, Hudds and Peterborough all drop points today. We could go 4 points clear tomorrow, which will be a big culture shock to us all and a sign of how we handle the pressure.

Look at it on the other side of the coin, a teams league placing has a massive effect on there confidence.

Id rather have the worry of being top than languising in the middle of the table, if being number 1 doesn't give the player's confidence then they should find another job.

Staying at the top of the league should be a massive incentice to any set of players and managment.

I think the results today will have lifted the players and hopefully still been top without kicking a ball will have taken a bit of pressure off. I think the Notts County result mid week showed that the squad has the right attitude, it would have been easy to be too relaxed and taken their eyes off the ball (so to speak). The fact they didn't shows that the squad and the management are pulling together, something we haven't seen for a while.

After last week having an away game on TV gives the team a chance to shine in front of a big audiance, which has to be good for the club.

This could be a tricky month for us, success depends on the lads sticking together with continued leadership from Alan off the pitch and Purse on it.

Up the Owls

We're on for a reet hiding tomorrow.

We're all too confident

I dont know about a hiding, but one exceptionally good result has made some of us far too confident as fans.

Its still a hard scrap as many of our rivals found out today and Brentford are absolutely gagging for any kind of result, which will make them raise their game further you wouldve thought. At least AI and the players are aware that they cant let things go to their head. If we play like we did against Pools at every away game and reproduce some of the slick passing from tuesday at home teams will struggle to live with us, but its a question of whether we can pull that out of the bag each week.

Look at it on the other side of the coin, a teams league placing has a massive effect on there confidence.

Id rather have the worry of being top than languising in the middle of the table, if being number 1 doesn't give the player's confidence then they should find another job.

Staying at the top of the league should be a massive incentice to any set of players and managment.

I'm not saying theyre worried, but there is pressure on the top team. Thankfully our team has some experienced and confident heads in there compared to last season, my biggest worry before we made loads of signings was that we had the quality but not the experience of really challenging for promotion, Teale, Morrison, Mellor, Purse seem like they are confident players. It will be a sign of whether were ready to go for the jugular or whether its going to be harder than we thought.

I'm not saying theyre worried, but there is pressure on the top team. Thankfully our team has some experienced and confident heads in there compared to last season, my biggest worry before we made loads of signings was that we had the quality but not the experience of really challenging for promotion, Teale, Morrison, Mellor, Purse seem like they are confident players. It will be a sign of whether were ready to go for the jugular or whether its going to be harder than we thought.

Over 46 games Wednesday should go up with ease with the calibre of player we have at our disposal.

Ok i know its early and this and that, but ive seen a few other clubs play in our league now and they havent been no where near as good as Wednesday.

I watched MK Dons earlier, a team which has won every home game, they were terrible, we should be beating teams like that by big scores.

Theres a level some clubs go were it gets obvious there a little below where they should be.

We are in that predicament now, we have a better squad than what we got relegated with, for that reason alone i feel we will go up quite easilly in the end.We shouldn't be frightened of playing any team in this league, 3 points should be a must for Irvine every game.

As it is for every manager!!!!!!

I think you will find in the next few home games your point is incorrect, teams will come to Hillsborough and play for a draw, this is where we have to show our class and break these sorts of teams down.

If you think managers go out for a win every time then your sorely mistaken.

Over 46 games Wednesday should go up with ease with the calibre of player we have at our disposal.

Ok i know its early and this and that, but ive seen a few other clubs play in our league now and they havent been no where near as good as Wednesday.

I watched MK Dons earlier, a team which has won every home game, they were terrible, we should be beating teams like that by big scores.

Theres a level some clubs go were it gets obvious there a little below where they should be.

We are in that predicament now, we have a better squad than what we got relegated with, for that reason alone i feel we will go up quite easilly in the end.We shouldn't be frightened of playing any team in this league, 3 points should be a must for Irvine every game.

Yes, Leicester did the same where they essentially kept their side and the likes of Fryatt benefitted from it immensely...he went from 2/3 goals a season to about 20 which I hope the likes of Spurr and Tudgay can do (obviously not the goals for Spurr). A bit of momentum this season can take us onto the next. I still think that last season we had a solid enough CCC team but things werent right..we arguably have a better team than that now.

BUT

Its all very well saying we have the best squad on paper, we have to keep proving it. Hopefully we will, but overconfidence becomes a weakness, like I say, we have nothing to fear if we play like we did the last two weeks and I agree that teams would struggle to stop us..I just dont like the idea " we will go up easily" because at the end of the day its going to take a lot of work to be as consistent as we need to be. Even Newcastle had poor results and sticky patches last season but they bounced back from them and pushed on in the latter stages of the season, weve got to make sure that if/when we have a bad result we get back on the trail again asap..that'll show its not just a spell of form.

Anyway, 3 points tomorrow gives us a bit of breathing space in case we need it. If we play to our potential then we should get it.

Edited by Bluesteel

Yes, Leicester did the same where they essentially kept their side and the likes of Fryatt benefitted from it immensely...he went from 2/3 goals a season to about 20 which I hope the likes of Spurr and Tudgay can do (obviously not the goals for Spurr). A bit of momentum this season can take us onto the next. I still think that last season we had a solid enough CCC team but things werent right..we arguably have a better team than that now.

BUT

Its all very well saying we have the best squad on paper, we have to keep proving it. Hopefully we will, but overconfidence becomes a weakness, like I say, we have nothing to fear if we play like we did the last two weeks and I agree that teams would struggle to stop us..I just dont like the idea " we will go up easily" because at the end of the day its going to take a lot of work to be as consistent as we need to be. Even Newcastle had poor results and sticky patches last season but they bounced back from them and pushed on in the latter stages of the season, weve got to make sure that if/when we have a bad result we get back on the trail again asap..that'll show its not just a spell of form.

Anyway, 3 points tomorrow gives us a bit of breathing space in case we need it. If we play to our potential then we should get it.

I know what your saying pal but in all honesty if we don't go up in the top 2 places it will be a failure for me.

If we hadn't had the start we have had and didn't have cause for a slight bit of overconfidence then i would be in the same understanding.

Wednesday "look" like they are going to hit promotion for me, and im not usually wrong m8.

Please Please Wednesday. For the first time in watching you (first game in 1996) send out a flipping statement. Beat Brentford and beat them well. Send out a message to the rest of the league and country (we are on SKY) that we mean business this year.

(Still pooing it though - it's what i'm used to)

I know what your saying pal but in all honesty if we don't go up in the top 2 places it will be a failure for me.

If we hadn't had the start we have had and didn't have cause for a slight bit of overconfidence then i would be in the same understanding.

Wednesday "look" like they are going to hit promotion for me, and im not usually wrong m8.

It will certainly be a failure if we dont go up, we need it for the future of the club I feel. It doesnt bear thinking about the cut backs if we dont.

AI and co seem like they have their feet on the ground which is promising. As Braddaz says Im too used to pooing myself about Wednesday to be too confident yet, despite our impressive squad...but I do think this has the potential to be the season that gives everyone that confidence back and could go down as a memorable and enjoyable season...ill not forget sitting in the Pools home end last week thats for sure.

Please Please Wednesday. For the first time in watching you (first game in 1996) send out a flipping statement. Beat Brentford and beat them well. Send out a message to the rest of the league and country (we are on SKY) that we mean business this year.

(Still pooing it though - it's what i'm used to)

Summed up what ive been trying to say pretty well there, especially the last bit :biggrin:

It will certainly be a failure if we dont go up, we need it for the future of the club I feel. It doesnt bear thinking about the cut backs if we dont.

AI and co seem like they have their feet on the ground which is promising. As Braddaz says Im too used to pooing myself about Wednesday to be too confident yet, despite our impressive squad...but I do think this has the potential to be the season that gives everyone that confidence back and could go down as a memorable and enjoyable season...ill not forget sitting in the Pools home end last week thats for sure.

One of my best m8s lives in Newcastle with his bird, Ricky his name is, big lad bout 23 you might know him, big Wednesdayite.