Rules regarding JPT Team selection

Guest intercity0wl

Guest intercity0wl

Not seen this before so appologies if i have missed it on here but just come across this on another clubs OS.

In previous seasons the competition regulations have insisted that clubs play at least six of the eleven players who have made the most starts in all competitions in the current campaign.

While that rule still stands this term, clubs have now been given an alternative rule to abide by instead if they so wish.

Article continues

Advertisement

The new rule states that the starting eleven for the Johnstone's Paint Trophy tie must contain at least six of the eleven players who started the club's previous game, or will start their next game.

The two rules cannot be used together, clubs have been told to pick just one of the methods to use when considering their team selections.

Guest walldanzig

What's more of a joke still being in the competition with a chance of a wembley visit or being knocked out R1 and I bet you'd be first in line for tickets if we gt to wembley!

I wouldnt go. Whats the point yeah we won the Johnstons paint trophy. I would sooner go out in R1 limit the risk of injuring players who are vital to the more important promotion campaign than have a day out at Wembley for a trophy that means nothing at all. There isn't even a chance of drawing a big team in the next round but you enjoy your 'day out' Willowl

I wouldnt go. Whats the point yeah we won the Johnstons paint trophy. I would sooner go out in R1 limit the risk of injuring players who are vital to the more important promotion campaign than have a day out at Wembley for a trophy that means nothing at all. There isn't even a chance of drawing a big team in the next round but you enjoy your 'day out' Willowl

Amen!

I would enjoy my day out. After all wembley is wembley, I don't care that we can't get a big team in the next round but this is like saying man utd can't get a big team in R4 of the fa cup so let's not enter. We finally have a golden opportunity for some league and cup success.

Guest walldanzig

I would enjoy my day out. After all wembley is wembley, I don't care that we can't get a big team in the next round but this is like saying man utd can't get a big team in R4 of the fa cup so let's not enter. We finally have a golden opportunity for some league and cup success.

It's not the same as Man U in the FA cup the sweetner for the FA cup is European football. I know Man U pretty much qualify for the Champs League anyway but there is still the oppertunity. There is nothing for the JPT. What would we think of the competition if one of the Notts County players injures Giles Coke. We wouldnt be so happy about our Wembly day out then would we.

Guest jimbob

The quicker we are out of this joke of a competition the better

Yeah, but if we get to Wembley, I'll be there! (Having said that, I'll probably be there tomorrow at £5!)

*Edit* I mean tonight - bank holiday messed up my body clock!!!

Edited by jimbob

Yeah, but if we get to Wembley, I'll be there! (Having said that, I'll probably be there tomorrow at £5!)

*Edit* I mean tonight - bank holiday messed up my body clock!!!

Yeah, you make sure you get there nice and early tonight in case there aren't enough turnstiles open again.

Guest bradwell.owl

You play your best team for whatever competition you're in, and try to win it, is my view. Otherwise, what's the point in turning up at all?

100% agree - play your strongest team always and get them into the winning mentality. Wheer by they go out expecting to win not thinking who is my full back/centre half etc this game. They need to know each other inside out.

I'd like to think that our players can manage 7 more games a year christ. I love the misconception in fans eyes that because Aldershot or Accrington are drawn in cup it means they will come out with razor blades attached to their body. By all means the competition is not as important as the league but that doesn't mean we should just write it off altogether.

I understand exactly what your saying and getting out of this league is priority but it would be nice to have a decent cup run - even if it is only jpt. Can't see it being a competitive and fierce match like the Brighton game therefore can't see there being any injuries.

it's a pisspotical trophy...thats why the fa have had to intoduce rules to make teams play some first teamers...it's bad enough that once again due to the financial state of affairs the club have had to stumble into league division 3...but, with irvine in charge, and the playing staff he has brought in we are hoping we're just paying a flying visit...the past few years have been barren with regard to winning honours, however SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY FOOTBALL CLUB should have, and do have sufficient history behind them as to not need to win the decorators cup, to add to it's fa and league cup wins along with it's league titles would only show how far we have stumbled...lets get out of this division asap...it's the only goal this season and the youngsters on here will have to wait to see us at wembley, until a genuine reason arrives...the longer the wait the sweeter it will be...or, go an see a pop concert...

OK, let's move this on because if this is the rule then AI has to pick a team based on this.

So, who are the six who you would play and who would you rest?

I would play Weaver, Purse, Beavers, Spurr, Sedgwick and Potter. The other five would be, Ostemabor, JOC, Jones, Heffernan and CM.

That would rest key players for Sunday - coke, Tudgay and Mellor while also giving some squad players a game.

Comments?

Didnt someone get done last season for fielding a slightly weakened team in this competition?

Chesterfield.

Fielded 5 of the previous league match starting 11. They argued they had 6 first teamers - the 6th was the captain coming back from injury. The appeal was rejected and Chesterfield got fined (don't know how much).

Not sure how the competition people can force clubs to pick a certain amount of players - surely it is up to the clubs to utilise their squad of players (for whom they pay salaries to) as they seem fit.