Disapointed Tonight Cup Comps Need To Be Respected

Guest Owl30

I am sick of getting knocked out of the cup early on, we used to be a half decent cup club once upon a time, but now we have followed other club's in playing our fringe players.

Club's including us need to respect these competitions, let's not forget a lot of us, our best day was at Wembley against Man Utd in the "league cup".

Irvine should have played a better side than that tonight.

Edited by Owl30

Our cup record over the last decade is nothing short off a joke Scunny were the worst ranked team in the top half off the draw our best chance off going through and we f##k it up big style playing a weakened side,please please take the JPT serious.

I hope we take the JPT seriously as well. After all the crap we have taken over the past few seasons a day out at Wembley is not asking too much is it?

We have a genuine chance in this competition if we take it seriously.

Guest tankswfc

so you would have played an injured darren purse, risked injuring other players and also you dont want any player other than a regular first teamer to get match fit are you having a laugh. Those players that played last night are all first team players. no youngsters were used these are players that irvine thinks are good enought to play in league 1 otherwise why buy them. The important thing this season is getting out of league one that will bring in more money than any cup run will bring us. I thought what irvine did tonight was the right thing and knew what most of the changes would be before i set off to the game but also thought it would be a good enough team to challenge sflaphorpe

I felt very let down last night as well. It's bad enough never having a cup run and always dipping out without even making any money from a competition which could potentially inject a lot of cash, but it's worse when we usually go out to teams who we have every chance of beating.

I can't remember the exact quote, but didn't Irvine say something recently about taking the cup competitions seriously and not putting out a "cup team" of fringe players? Well for the Carling Cup he's done just that, making 6 changes for each tie mostly for the sake of it and it's cost us, again, whilst a number of crappy little teams who did take it seriously will go on to make a lot of money out of it.

Get a grip, so you would be happy to start the same eleven on Saturday? It was a weakened team that we sent out which shows contempt for a competition that could have been a money spinner for a club in our financial predicament. WhoTF do we think we are Man Utd.

Guest intercity0wl

so you would have played an injured darren purse, risked injuring other players and also you dont want any player other than a regular first teamer to get match fit are you having a laugh. Those players that played last night are all first team players. no youngsters were used these are players that irvine thinks are good enought to play in league 1 otherwise why buy them. The important thing this season is getting out of league one that will bring in more money than any cup run will bring us. I thought what irvine did tonight was the right thing and knew what most of the changes would be before i set off to the game but also thought it would be a good enough team to challenge sflaphorpe

And to be honest if the final ball, cross, shot had been of a better quality in the first half we would have challenged them alot more than the 4-2 scoreline suggests we did.

Not too dissapointed if im honest although a cup run would have been nice, but once again am left wondering what damage we would do if only we started with three up front and let other worry about us for a change.

Guest tankswfc

not saying i would be happy for the same team but if some of the players played along with others then i would be happy, Would you have rather started tudgay mellor and miller then and one of them get injured. We have to get out of league one this year and if playing the fringe players in the cup helps then im happy for that. But irvine bought these players to fight for starting places not to be bench warmers so he obviously feels that last nights team could also be a possible league team IF they were match fit and playing well.

Guest intercity0wl

Get a grip, so you would be happy to start the same eleven on Saturday? It was a weakened team that we sent out which shows contempt for a competition that could have been a money spinner for a club in our financial predicament. WhoTF do we think we are Man Utd.

Sadly alot do think exactly that, and no i for one would not be happy to start with that eleven on Saturday

Guest tankswfc

he doesnt like playing first team players in the reserves he always plays the youngsters. He was looking to try and win it last night also, why sign players like heffernan if your not going to give them a chance in a first team game. I do get your point but also i understand why he picked the team he did and anyone who didnt expect changes must be blind IMHO

I am sick of getting knocked out of the cup early on, we used to be a half decent cup club once upon a time, but now we have followed other club's in playing our fringe players.

Club's including us need to respect these competitions, let's not forget a lot of us, our best day was at Wembley against Man Utd in the "league cup".

Irvine should have played a better side than that tonight.

0.jpg

I think being in the Championship is worth around £4.5 million, payments from the PL and the FL, so **** the cups let's get back up because if we don't there will soon be another vast gulf between Championship clubs and League 1 clubs. Not on the scale of Championship to Premier League but enough so that in after a few years, newly promoted teams from League 1 will find it difficult to compete.

League 1 clubs will get around £1 million.

Championship around £4.5 million.

Two years of nothing in League 1 and we would already be £7 million behind, guaranteed money.

Edited by web_owls

I understand everyone have grievances about it - I was annoyed at the way Sflaphorpe seemed to brush us aside without much hassle. Yes you can argue we didn't roll over, but we didn't really give a lot. The game was dead and buried at 3-0 and down to ten men, even at 4-1 I imagine 90% of the Sflaphorpe side were thinking about what was being whipped up for supper in the canteen so the 2nd for us was irrelevant.

I agree our focus needs to be L1 and getting out of it, but what did shock me (worry isn't quite the word, maybe surprise me) is the way Irvine didn't see what was happening and react. Sflaphorpe weren't fielding that mutant 9ft defender Jones and the two centre backs they did use were standard height. Every time we ventured forward we seemed to run out of ideas - whether this was because of the changes I'm not sure. Several times we had players passing in triangles without any forward movement. Plenty of sideways balls. The crosses were all deep and even when one landed in the six yard box we didn't have a jumper in the attack to win it; here is where I thought Irvine would have took note and made a change? Maybe if not immediately then sooner than he did - the game was dead by time Tudgay came on.

Heff should have scored in the first half and would have changed the game us going 0-1 up.

Jones was an absolute liability in his passing, his crossing, his brain and his positioning. At times it was like watching myself playing left-back it was that poor. He cost us for the 1st goal with a lazy pass and cost us another when he forgot he was a left-back and seemed to be in the centre of the park.

Hinds didn't look like a first team player, so sorry whoever made that comment I disagree. We were slow to close down space and never got tight all night. Otsemobor didn't seem to provide much but pace - however thank god for that pace in the first half after Beevers was left completely chasing the wind by Forte.

But it is easier to be critical that praise.

Our cup record over the last decade is nothing short off a joke Scunny were the worst ranked team in the top half off the draw our best chance off going through and we f##k it up big style playing a weakened side,please please take the JPT serious.

and send the fourth team....did well to get out last night without any long term serious injuries, f*ck the paint pot, concentrate entirely on the league table and promotion...if by the fa cup we are in a position to play in two competitions seriously...then ok...but until, promotion is the only goal for us...remember takin the pisss outa a piggy colleague a few years back...he replied "we won the steel city cup"...i laughed heartly out loud at him in his face and said " you ar$ehole, hahaha steel city cup, hahaha" , he went red, put his head down and shuffled off......well the paint pots the same, get out of it, and get outa this division too...

Edited by dnhc

There wasnt too much wrong with playing most of them, the challenge has been laid out to them twice and theyve failed to take it by playing poorly.

Having said that, alot of those players havent bedded in either, putting so many of them in the team together could cause problems, we kept it tight early doors but once they got a goal our heads went down.