stray owl living in Smyrna, TN..

i have been informed that there is a blerk from sheffield who lives here in Smyrna TN...

a friend of mine who works the deli counter at a local grocery store has met him. he was wearing an old wednesday home kit one day when she waited on him. she said, "Sheffield Wednesday!". and he, much surprised said, "You know about Wednesday!?!?". then she told him about me....

i know it is a long shot but .... do any of you lot know of anyone transplanted to my area?

thanks and - yes i am a new member here but i do post at owls alive . :blush:

I take it by Smyrna TN you mean Tennessee.

Can't help you, but it would be nice to have a list of as many US Wednesday fans as possible. I know there are a few that post on here, but not yet come across anyone else in Utah....yet!

yes, smyrna tennessee.

funny that there is one other than me living here. i'm not english either. i'm an american. ... :cool: true story...

I'm from Sheffield, but I'm curious, how come you ended up following Wednesday?

I'm from Sheffield, but I'm curious, how come you ended up following Wednesday?

he he he... i've told this story more than once believe it or not....

Back in my freshman year of college(university to you lot in the UK) circa 1982. I was riding around with a blerk who I had met that fall at school and we started talking about sports and team names and uniforms and such and such. We got on the subject of how funny english football team names were compared to our big time sports like the Oakland Raiders or the New York Yankees as opposed to the Manchester United F. C. so on and so forth. He threw out his fave, Tottenham Hotspur F C, and then he said, "...that's nothing what about this one: Sheffield Wednesday F C!?!". I mean how many teams have a day of the week in their name?

Fast forward to 1994 he and I are still good friends and MLB has just gone on strike. Our fave sport pooing on us - me being a S.F. Giants and him being a Baltimore Orioles fan, we were very, very pissed.

He says, "oh well i still have football.". the world cup had just wound down and club footy around the globe was in full force.

Side note: From 1994-2000-ish F1 took hold of most of my sporting interest at that time.

I saw a bit of the cup in '94 and started to watch Prem footy when I could but my access was very limited. But even that little exposure got me even more hooked. I was a Spur fan at first. As time moved on and seasons went by and I gained internet access I did my own research and remembered SWFC... by 2000 I had looked them up online and found a message board and the rest is history... been following firmly since 2000. :cool:

My oldest son started playing in 1997, all 4 of my kids still play today. I started coaching back '97 too. I started playing in 2000.

2 of them root for The Wednesday, the two that I love most- he he he- The oldest one roots for Man U-ugh!- And the youngest one roots for Arsenal ugh! ugh!

I even call the rec teams I coach "Smyrna Wednesday". I hand out a flier to all my parents telling them about The Wednesday and how we came to be named after them. :rolleyes: footy geek, me.

Back in my freshman year of college(university to you lot in the UK) circa 1982. I was riding around with a blerk who I had met that fall at school and we started talking about sports and team names and uniforms and such and such. We got on the subject of how funny english football team names were compared to our big time sports like the Oakland Raiders or the New York Yankees as opposed to the Manchester United F. C. so on and so forth. He threw out his fave, Tottenham Hotspur F C, and then he said, "...that's nothing what about this one: Sheffield Wednesday F C!?!". I mean how many teams have a day of the week in their name?

Fast forward to 1994 he and I are still good friends and MLB has just gone on strike. Our fave sport pooing on us - me being a S.F. Giants and him being a Baltimore Orioles fan, we were very, very pissed.

He says, "oh well i still have football.". the world cup had just wound down and club footy around the globe was in full force.

Side note: From 1994-2000-ish F1 took hold of most of my sporting interest at that time.

I saw a bit of the cup in '94 and started to watch Prem footy when I could but my access was very limited. But even that little exposure got me even more hooked. I was a Spur fan at first. As time moved on and seasons went by and I gained internet access I did my own research and remembered SWFC... by 2000 I had looked them up online and found a message board and the rest is history... been following firmly since 2000. :cool:

My oldest son started playing in 1997, all 4 of my kids still play today. I started coaching back '97 too. I started playing in 2000.

2 of them root for The Wednesday, the two that I love most- he he he- The oldest one roots for Man U-ugh!- And the youngest one roots for Arsenal ugh! ugh!

I even call the rec teams I coach "Smyrna Wednesday". I hand out a flier to all my parents telling them about The Wednesday and how we came to be named after them. :rolleyes: footy geek, me.

Bloody great story mate ! Whats a blerk ?

Russian Warship.... Go fxxk yourselves.

Nice one, keep up the good work!

Just out of interest, back in the 1870's there was another club in Sheffield that had either Tuesday or Thursday after it's name (seriously!). This arose from the fact that the aforementioned day was a day off for the workers and so they played their games on that day when possible. It's all in the books on Sheffield football!