Tony Roberts

Guest jerkfromdagenham

Oh dear. :biggrin:

Thanks for taking the time out to make such a detailed, lengthy analysis on my post thus proving me wrong and.....oh no, wait a second

Guest BirdonaMaguire

I am not that fat bird - i am a fat bloke lol.

I didnt see anything regarding a fat bird - what happened?!

What seems to be ignored here, is that we are Dagenham. We have never played up here. We have a very little fanbase. We have no money. Our record fee paid compared to yours is nothing. That we are even here is phenomenal in itself. I am sure we will take some poundings this season - it happens. Last season in the FA Cup we went to Huddersfield (on a Friday night, as you Northerners seem to give preference to rugby...lol) and we got beat 6-1. I dont think there was as much separating us on Saturday as some of you seem to believe. That could be me being biased, but at the same time it could be you being biased in your case. You really weren't that good - after all, remember who you were playing, right? We started the game as if we were a tiny little team playing in league one for the first time against a club which in comparison to us is MASSIVE. What else did you expect? As much as we are the sort of team who will struggle to play on a big wide pitch such as yours, i think you may have trouble adapting your game when you come to our place. I noticed you like to play the ball out wide, and fair play - it worked on many occasions, and there were some clever balls played and play was switched from side to side numerous times, in short, in that respect - you looked good. Personally, i hope you do well. I always preferred Wednesday over United, i am pleased we got to play you - being a Dagger, its something i never expected to happen.

When you talk about our weakness thats going to be exploited - what do you think it is? What did you make from the game regarding us?

I think we can survive. Its not going to be easy, but i think we can do it. I could be proven right, or i could be proven wrong obviously. We have the strength, we have the belief in ourselves, and we have the advantage of playing at our place for 50% of the games we play. Judging on Saturdays game, i do think we can beat you at Victoria Road (or The London Borough Of Barking & Dagenham Stadium if you are a idiot). Every team has weaknesses.

I am not upset in the slightest, i think it was the perfect game for us to start with. The team who everyone will want to beat means you are the team everyone sees as the biggest and are expected to be going up. That means we got to see the best the division offered, and we didnt go away embarassed - in fact we created a few chances ourselves. We didnt look much like scoring, but in the second half we did look more likely than you. Whether it is as you claim, because Wednesday took their foot off the gas though, is another thing entirely. I was proud of Dagenham, no matter what gets said. We conceded a silly goal, we didnt recover and fell two behind - probably due to inexperience, but after that you didnt really look like a team who were two divisions above us last season. In fact, the stats tell of a story of a game with pretty even possession, and more attempts at least, from Dagenham. Yeah we need to be better, but if we were that bad the fact is - you do too.

There was a rather large lady right at the end of the row of seats you lot were in, she got some gentle ribbing from our fans

As for the game, for a large part you were our equals, some may even say better as the game wore on but we had the game won, I don't recall our goalkeeper making a save of much note barring a fluked cross, from where Dagenham have come it's phenomenal to be playing each other in a leaguer game but you lot rightly earned that, you've not been dragged through the leagues with a rich benefactor but you've worked hard and attracted players that have things to prove and it's worked, extremely well.

Our side had 5 new faces in the starting line up and another 4 on the bench, our goalkeeper had only signed on the Thursday and it was his first game with the defence, we could have turned it up another gear had it been required but it wasn't, we won and we have 3 points in the bag but you lot will have come out of that game with more positives than us.

Guest jerkfromdagenham

There was a rather large lady right at the end of the row of seats you lot were in, she got some gentle ribbing from our fans

As for the game, for a large part you were our equals, some may even say better as the game wore on but we had the game won, I don't recall our goalkeeper making a save of much note barring a fluked cross, from where Dagenham have come it's phenomenal to be playing each other in a leaguer game but you lot rightly earned that, you've not been dragged through the leagues with a rich benefactor but you've worked hard and attracted players that have things to prove and it's worked, extremely well.

Our side had 5 new faces in the starting line up and another 4 on the bench, our goalkeeper had only signed on the Thursday and it was his first game with the defence, we could have turned it up another gear had it been required but it wasn't, we won and we have 3 points in the bag but you lot will have come out of that game with more positives than us.

Ahhhh, i see, i heard fat illegitimate chants but assumed they were aimed at Roberts.

Its games like Exeter, the sides who were promoted with is, and teams like Hartlepool, Yeovil, Walsall etc where we need to pick up our points. If we go down, we go down, its still to a division higher than where we are used to playing!

to be fair, i think you'll do ok at home but i fully expect you to struggle to stay up - if just because your wage budget is nothing compared to the rest of the division.

Although we created very little all afternoon, i dont think you really troubled us either - at 2-0 up after 15 monutes, we pretty much closed the game off and you never looked like coming back into it.

Fairy tale story and the best of luck to you, but your manager is clutching at straws thinking you could have got something from that game.

Guest jerkfromdagenham

to be fair, i think you'll do ok at home but i fully expect you to struggle to stay up - if just because your wage budget is nothing compared to the rest of the division.

Although we created very little all afternoon, i dont think you really troubled us either - at 2-0 up after 15 monutes, we pretty much closed the game off and you never looked like coming back into it.

Fairy tale story and the best of luck to you, but your manager is clutching at straws thinking you could have got something from that game.

Actually, in fairness he isnt clutching at straws - but i do agree with you that we'll struggle. I think we have enough in us to stay up - wages not being much of an issue when you look at players like Danny Green and Roman Vincelot who needs to spend shedloads on wages anyway?

Cheers!

I think we'll be okay, the thing i thought we struggled with against at your place was your use of the whole width of the pitch, spreading the ball out wide. I want to see you do that at our place!! Aint happening! I dont think you'll be staying in League One, and thats not based on Saturday as day one of the season isnt reflective enough, but i thought that before.

Enjoyed my trip to Hillsborough very much, was less eerie than something historical going through that tunnel and being in that stand though.

So you think we'll be going down then? :ohmy:

And I would love it (Keegan styleee) if you stayed up. Best of luck.

Guest thetruthisoutthere

Actually, in fairness he isnt clutching at straws - but i do agree with you that we'll struggle. I think we have enough in us to stay up - wages not being much of an issue when you look at players like Danny Green and Roman Vincelot who needs to spend shedloads on wages anyway?

Hope you do make it but dont think you will

You were lucky to have played us the first game

Why ? Because we don't yet have a team, we have a load of spare parts that are still being put together, We were missfireing in many departments and only played for 20 minutes and still stumbled through an easy 2-0 win.

Cant wait to go to your place

Dont think you will go down bottom by the way but do think you will go down

Good luck for the rest of the season anyway

Guest jerkfromdagenham

Very narrow pitch down at our places and your players are at arms reach for the majority of fans. You wont like it.

And no, i dont think Wednesday will be going down. For the record, i think you'll go up.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

a bit like some of the grounds we endured last time

colchester, grimsby, bournemouth, torquay

shitty grounds aren't that much of a stranger to us

Is this the same Danny Green who's just gone to the mighty Braintree Town. Oh Dear :huh:

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Is this the same Danny Green who's just gone to the mighty Braintree Town. Oh Dear :huh:

no it isn't, they have two Danny Greens in their squad.

Danny Green (the good one) scored 15 from midfield last season

Guest jerkfromdagenham

Well thats just confusing. Now I've got a massive dollop of egg on my face :angry::angry::laugh:

Yeah i think we're going to get this a lot.

But fair play for your condescending comment on Braintree, who you likely know nothing about.

He really is. You were never going to get anything from that game, and it was only down to us being a collection of parts as mentioned earlier that you didnt get a serious hiding, in my opinion. at 2-0 up with 15 minutes gone, if we had carried on attacking down the flanks you would have been destroyed.

Like i said, at your place i think you will be difficult to beat, but i cant honestly think of one stand out player you had.

And wages do matter - ask anyone in the league, they will tell you ultimately the higher the wage budget, the more likely you are to do well and vice cersa. Instances like Hull, Blackpool etc are random examples, who ultimatly cant sustain it due to... lack of wage budget...

We were never at our best but still could have been 4 up after 30 mins. The rest was played out in a friendly type atmosphere with no goalmouth action at all. I'll take that nice to hear fans, players and management coming out making the same noises ie expecting us to impove too