Wapentake Owls

I was a regular in the Wapentake during my youth (70's and 80's) and always kept bumping into familiar faces from the Wap at away matches. Okay, the Wap is long gone but anyone still around?

I was a regular in the Wapentake during my youth (70's and 80's) and always kept bumping into familiar faces from the Wap at away matches. Okay, the Wap is long gone but anyone still around?

used to work on the doors round that time friend,

used to work on the doors round that time friend,

Those were the days!

Long hair, denims and leather or you stuck out like a sore thumb!

Great music too, still go to plenty of rock gigs, off to see Rush tonight! :cool::cool:

top place mate ,Les write and Ken were the dj's

in my time , some brill nights were had at that place let me tell you,

Yeah, got to agree. The Christmas season was always brilliant! Think my ears are still ringing from it, and that was just when the DJ's were on, never mind the odd occasion when a band played there!:biggrin::biggrin:

Yeah in spite of the beer being g**ts it was a great atmosphere and great music. Shame it's gone.

If I remember rightly the mural was black or dark brown on a cream background and had a definition of what a 'Wapentake" was.

Edited by Utah Owl

I used to go in and stick to the carpet........it was filthy

had some good nights in there but I was mainly a Buccanneer regular as my mate was the DJ

beer was bad in both.........plastic glasses......urgh

Carpet went around '78 to be replaced by some heavy duty vinyl flooring. You still stuck to it by the end of the night mind! :blush:

Guest PenangOwl

Certainly can!

Are you still having trouble getting auto insurance in the US mate? (I read somewhere on another post) I was on a contract in Arkansas for 2 years and it took me sometime but I got fixed up with a company. Let me know and I can dig out the paperwork if you need it. That also reminded me about being in the Wapentake was like being in the south as we always heard the classic "Freebird!"

Ah! The Wap and Rebels!!

Happy days (errr, nights)!!! :biggrin:

(not forgetting a mushroom cheese burger from that little take away in the arches opposite the exit from Pond St bus station!!)

Edited by Ogsowl

The Wap / Rebels / Sportsman / Yorkshireman.....................happy memories indeed.

I had a spell around 83 - 86 when i was a regular in the Museum and used to go to the Wednesday away games with John the landlord and a bunch of rockers that used to frequent the establishment Paul , Steve , Ian ( went on to become landlord of Sportsman ) are just a few of the names i remember.

At one stage we all chucked a tenner in a pot and bought a second hand transit van for £150 which took us on a fair few away games....................................and this all happened at the time when we were promoted under Howard Wilkinson which made for very happy days indeed........................Great memories!!

Ah the days of Pitculi oil, Afghan coats and Freebird