Best Wednesday Goal

Guest D0ncaster0wl

gary bannister away at oldham 81 i think. corner came over and was headed out and bannister volleyed it in from about 20yrds. u wont see a cleaner strike than that

Are you sure it was Bannister, sounds very similar to the Sterland one I referred to earlier in the thread. It was 83/84 season and Goram literally never saw it. We won 3-1 (Shelton and Bannister got the others). He did something similar (though not quite as good) the following week at Hillsborough v Blackburn (we won 4-2)

Have to say Harkes who score the memorable goal at Derby. The Goal won goal of the season and was one of the few occasions that Wednesday was on equal term with the big clubs.

happy time as we went on to be promoted and won the cup.

^^^^^ this

best thing about it is it's on YouTube , never get bored of watching it

Brian Hornsby at Millmoor '79 I think

Whelans at Cardiff was a sweet strike too

I was there for both of them. Hornsby's was a really sweet volley from just outside the box in front of the Tivoli (not sure if it wasn't 77 or 78 though), and all four goals at Cardiff that day were priceless. I came over from Jersey for that one and it cost me an absolute fortune just in phone calls (almost 40 quid, I'd called on my mobile and had to wait over an hour to get through the switchboard was jammed!) just to get the darn ticket.!

Are you sure it was Bannister, sounds very similar to the Sterland one I referred to earlier in the thread. It was 83/84 season and Goram literally never saw it. We won 3-1 (Shelton and Bannister got the others). He did something similar (though not quite as good) the following week at Hillsborough v Blackburn (we won 4-2)

that was a cracking goal of sterlands, i believe it was on match of the day as well, i remember bannister scoring a screamer in that game but it was disallowed.

terry curran at the lane easter 1980, flippingBRILLIANT

that was a cracking goal of sterlands, i believe it was on match of the day as well, i remember bannister scoring a screamer in that game but it was disallowed.

terry curran at the lane easter 1980, flippingBRILLIANT

If it was on Match of the Day, then I have to get a copy! Presumably must be somewhere on You Tube as well?

I was there for both of them. Hornsby's was a really sweet volley from just outside the box in front of the Tivoli (not sure if it wasn't 77 or 78 though), and all four goals at Cardiff that day were priceless. I came over from Jersey for that one and it cost me an absolute fortune just in phone calls (almost 40 quid, I'd called on my mobile and had to wait over an hour to get through the switchboard was jammed!) just to get the darn ticket.!

Yeah it was before 79. I was in the Tivoli..... err... hiding my scarf :st2:

Cardiff was a fun weekend

Yeah it was before 79. I was in the Tivoli..... err... hiding my scarf :st2:

Lucky sod, it looked great from the railway end but from you were it must have looked incredible! :biggrin:

Have to say Harkes who score the memorable goal at Derby. The Goal won goal of the season and was one of the few occasions that Wednesday was on equal term with the big clubs.

happy time as we went on to be promoted and won the cup.

Agreed. Definitely the stand out goal for me

I know Hirst scored a lot of great goals but the one at Southhamton were we had a shot keeper saved and it fell to Hirst on the edge of the box and he hit it first time and nearly broke the net

That Hirsty screamer was on my list as well - was a million x better "in the flesh" than it ever appeared on TV though

Another one is Shezza's goal (the 4th) in the "Palmer hattrick" game against QPR - superb move and absolutely sublime finish.

Another Hirsty - against Man City at home when he ran from the halfway line and a posse of City defenders trailed in his wake til he smashed the ball home.

Bright's Volley at Selhurst against Wmbledon in the league cup

Ante Mirocevic against Notts County sticks in my mind - we lost 1-2 at Hillsborough

Guest James-The-Owl

Esajas vs Sheff Utd

Esajas vs Rochdale

Spurr vs Fulham

Brunt vs Coventry

Brunt vs Leeds

Tudgay vs Sheff Utd