Hirst or Deane.

As several people have said already, Brian Deane was a decent top division striker. He was a James Beattie or a Kevin Phillips (dare I say it, even a Clinton Morrison).

Hirst was a class above - if things had turned out differently, he certainly had it in him to be a Shearer or a Rooney. The only other player I can think of at the time who had the same level of promise was Matt Le Tissier and I still wouldn't have swapped.

Personally, I thought Deane was better than that - more of a Les Ferdinand, as where Hirsty was an Alan Shearer.

Brian Deane was a fine player and his record speaks for himself.

But Hirst...?

Left foot, right foot, head, pace, flair...

He was the complete striker.

A fair and reasoned post. hirst was a better striker than deane but with fairness deane was an excellent for them.

The toothless piranha v willo a lot closer and two very different players in my opinion. Although I always felt that PW was the forgotten man at S6 and served us very well.

Guest DrAdam

As you said earlier, left foot, right foo, head, pace, guile and vision.

When I watch this video it makes me realise what an unbelievable talent we had. I honestly don't think we'll ever have a striker like this again.

Ridiculously talented. Brian Deane???!!!...pffftt........

This vid brings a tear to my eye and gives me goose bumps. The goal at 2mins fully describes what hirst was about...... pure class

The best striker i'v seen in a blue and white shirt , dont forget he made a good stand in keeper, early in his career against man city , presman went of injured i think he played half a game in the net ,and i think he scored in the first half .

No contest !

Guest emza82

Another Iron in the fire, Sad but true:

Wasn't Deane more or less consistent wherever and whoever he played for as for Hirst only ever doing anything for us?

Just a thought