Canadian Owls

Hi folks,

I'm heading over to Canada on a working holiday visa I'm looking as it stands to start in Vancouver and move around as and when it suits me.

I'm just wondering if you guys can give me an update on how the jobs climate and what cost rent roughly is in area's where you guys live. I'm a electrician so hoping work should be relatively easy to come by though I'm prepared to be proved wrong on that.

Also can you guys tell me about how much you paid for car insurance as a foreigner when you first went over if you emigrated from england and what the laws are where you live, I have done some research and it seems British Colombia is the easiest place to sort these things out.

Many thanks

While it's true I live here in Vancouver I have been here nearly thirty years so my giving advice on setting up would be a little out of date. All I can tell you is that it is one of the greatest cities in the world in a fantastic setting. You may want to PM Indiana as he did the one year permit thing here a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. As far as work if you are a construction electrician you should be OK. Even though the Olympics are over there are no signs of the boom letting up. PM me if you have any more questions.

Vancouver is a great place and "trades people" in general are always in demand here in Canada. For an electrician, I believe their is some sort of exam that you need to pass before you can undertake that type of work. I presume you have/will be doing this?

They always joke, BC means Bring Cash. A great city, fantastic scenery and an ocean lifestyle don't come cheap unfortunately. I know, I went on a day trip to Victoria once :biggrin: .

It'll be a great experience for you. Canada's a fantastic place. Enjoy !!!!!!

Edited by Maple Staple

OK forget all this nonsense about British Columbia.

All the rain there has dulled their senses :biggrin:

Come to sunny Alberta and enjoy some real fun.

No sales tax, seriously low cost of living, jobs all over the place, pick-up trucks all over..............................oh, and it's a dry cold so you'll not get frozzen to t'bone.

More seriously, though, like Maple suggests above I would imagine you'll have to 'prove' your trade qualifications are acceptable. In Alberta electricians are in demand in the oil patch but to get a job may need you to go through a union hiring process.

Like Mickjj, I've been over here for 30 years so I have to think back a long way for answers to your insurance and other "start-up" questions. As I recall you don't get any credit for previous good driving records and you'll basically be starting from scratch - they fob you off with "we drive on the right here you know"

The biggest shock to your system might be that you can't buy booze at the supermarket - you have to go to the Liquor store. In Alberta these are privatized so they are like off-licenses but elsewhere they are government run. Dunno if BC have seen the light and done the private thing too.

Overall cost of living is good - the strong dollar reduces the value of the pound but once you start getting paid in dollars you'll be OK.

Make sure to visit Banff and Jasper and go skiing/boarding. PM me if you have more questions and get in touch if you make it to Edmonton

Like Mickjj, I've been over here for 30 years so I have to think back a long way for answers to your insurance and other "start-up" questions. As I recall you don't get any credit for previous good driving records and you'll basically be starting from scratch - they fob you off with "we drive on the right here you know"

I brought a letter from my UK insurance company showing full no claims bonus (6+ years) and got full no claims with my Canadian Insurance Company. That was in 2000.

Maybe I should've moved to Canada then! Came to US 6 months ago with claims free letters from my Car and Bike insurers and got Jack!

What hurts most is I've worked in the industry for over 30 years and it always worked the other way round for people moving to blighty from Canada/US!

:biggrin:

You don't disappoint

Plus 30 here last 2 days and I've been landscaping in it.

The beer went down easily, though

What were you doing Dave building retaining walls to keep the drifts back :rolleyes:

Last winter wasn't too bad down here even though we're 5,00ft up in the Rockies! At least the cold is dry and you can wrap up against it, it's the wet cold back home that gets me, particularly when the rain is coming in horizontally off the back of a40/50mph gale! :cool: :cool:

Last winter wasn't too bad down here even though we're 5,00ft up in the Rockies! At least the cold is dry and you can wrap up against it, it's the wet cold back home that gets me, particularly when the rain is coming in horizontally off the back of a40/50mph gale! :cool: :cool:

*points at mickjj*

See, Mick, it's a dry cold - makes all the difference :wink: :biggrin:

Edited by edmontonowl

top work guys i may pm a couple of you in the coming weeks for more advice.

great start to the game tonight come on the owls

I'm new to OT and new to Canada having moved to Calgary from the north of England in July this year.

If I can offer some advice to you (going off my mistakes), here are a list of priorities for when you get here:

1. Get your social security number as soon as you can (i.e when you get a job), it makes a lot of other things easier

2. Make sure you come with a lot of cash (esp. since you are going to Vancouver)- although I am paid fairly well you wont be allowed a Canadian credit card unless you have built up a credit history in Canada or can provide the bank with a 'retainer' - i.e. $1000 quid 'deposit' so to speak so the bank have some security if you do one. This might just be with my bank, BMO however.

3. The rest falls into place after that actually - once you have a bank account and SIN.

Cheers, enjoy it.

I'm new to OT and new to Canada having moved to Calgary from the north of England in July this year.

If I can offer some advice to you (going off my mistakes), here are a list of priorities for when you get here:

1. Get your social security number as soon as you can (i.e when you get a job), it makes a lot of other things easier

2. Make sure you come with a lot of cash (esp. since you are going to Vancouver)- although I am paid fairly well you wont be allowed a Canadian credit card unless you have built up a credit history in Canada or can provide the bank with a 'retainer' - i.e. $1000 quid 'deposit' so to speak so the bank have some security if you do one. This might just be with my bank, BMO however.

3. The rest falls into place after that actually - once you have a bank account and SIN.

Cheers, enjoy it.

Welcome aboard AlbertanOwl. Hope you are enjoying the snow this week. :rolleyes:

Cheers, enjoy it.

Ooo I have company. Watcha doin' in Calgary?

Welcome aboard AlbertanOwl. Hope you are enjoying the snow this week. :rolleyes:

Shurrup you