Buying a new camera....

I currently have a nice compact Panasonic Camera, it takes the photos I want although the zoom is frustrating!

So I've decided to upgrade - problem is I'm eyeing two very different types of camera

the Panasonic FZ38 which is a bridge camera

&

the Nikon D5000 which is an SLR

Anyone have any suggestions about which I should go for? Or a completely different camera. (Bearing in mind the D5000 is my absolute max budget!)

I currently have a nice compact Panasonic Camera, it takes the photos I want although the zoom is frustrating!

So I've decided to upgrade - problem is I'm eyeing two very different types of camera

the Panasonic FZ38 which is a bridge camera

&

the Nikon D5000 which is an SLR

Anyone have any suggestions about which I should go for? Or a completely different camera. (Bearing in mind the D5000 is my absolute max budget!)

The Panasonic FZ38 is a very nice camera and I personally can't tell much difference between this and a proper SLR camera. It takes great pictures and the wide angle lens and 18x digital zoom is a brilliant feature for a camera in this price range. If your interested, the video isn't bad either but like with most camera's (including the Nikon D5000) the audio doesn't quite match up to the great picture.

I always think that the allure of the Nikon camera's never really justify it's massive price tag. Yes the picture that you can get can be stunning but to obtain them you usually have to purchase several different filters and a gigantic lens to go on to of it. The swivel screen is a nice feature but in my opinion it can do without it unless you take photo's upside down or something :laugh:

So, in my opinion you should get the Panasonic FZ38 because I never really feel that the Nikon ever lives up to expectation (just my opinion though) and you can spend money on it like crazy just to get the shots you want. Also, the Panasonic has a lecia lens as standard which I always find gives an extra sparkle to a photo.

Hope this helps :-)

If you want to get more into photography and over the next few years buy a couple of extra things like different lenses, filters etc then buy the Nikon.

You can grow and steadily build your skills with an SLR.