:We have a Championship squad

Irvine: We have a Championship squad

Sat, 03 Jul 09:43:13 2010

Alan Irvine believes the squad he has assembled during pre-season is good enough to challenge in the npower Championship let alone in League One.

The Owls manager spoke of his excitement as he prepares his relegated squad for the 2010/11 season after completing the signing of 27-year-old Preston striker Neil Mellor on a season-long loan.

Irvine, who has now drafted in seven new recruits during the close season, said: "Neil is a player I know very well from my time at Preston and I'm delighted to bring him to Sheffield Wednesday for the season.

"We've worked really hard to bring Neil and all the other new players to the club and I'm very pleased with the business we have done. I'd be excited about the squad we have assembled for the Championship, never mind League One."

Sheffield-born Mellor, a graduate from the Liverpool academy, has had loan spells in the Barclays Premier League and the Championship with Wigan and West Ham respectively.

He joined Preston for £500,000 in the summer of 2006 and went on to score 34 goals from 69 starts for the Lilywhites

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/03072010/63/irvine-championship-squad.html

We should win the league with this squad. Irvine's signings have been very impressive for this league and I have no doubt they are capable of performing at a higher level. Anything but promotion this coming season will be seen as a failure.

Whilst I think challenging in the Championship is perhaps a step too far in optimism the Championship is a far weaker league this coming season. The 3 relegated teams are in no way certs to be challenging for the playoffs nevermind promotion. It's a huge shame we got relegated.

It looks good on paper, if the players are as mentally strong as AI believes then thats what will help us.

The travesty about last season for me was that the majority of the team had proved previously that they could finish comfortably in mid table, but for some reason they totally lost the plot between Nov and Boxing Day and didnt pick up a single point. There were worse teams than us who survived due to their attitude. Weve added to that group so Id agree it is a team that had we stayed up couldve held its own in a relegation battle.

Edited by Bluesteel

Shame we didn't have one last season, though...

There was little difference between the squad that went down and the season that was 12th the season before. If anything Purse and Miller added to it.

They let themselvse down and everyone else and that passing system we adopted eventually ruined their confidence. United should take note of that if Blackwell is going to try and do the same. That coupled with some attitude problems is what sent us down.

I still think that other than say 8 or 9 teams in the championship the rest is just a merrygo round where you can finish either 10th or 22nd depending on all sorts of minute factors.

It looks good on paper, if the players are as mentally strong as AI believes then thats what will help us.

The travesty about last season for me was that the majority of the team had proved previously that they could finish comfortably in mid table, but for some reason they totally lost the plot between Nov and Boxing Day and didnt pick up a single point. There were worse teams than us who survived due to their attitude. Weve added to that group so Id agree it is a team that had we stayed up couldve held its own in a relegation battle.

agree with that

Irvine: We have a Championship squad

Sat, 03 Jul 09:43:13 2010

Alan Irvine believes the squad he has assembled during pre-season is good enough to challenge in the npower Championship let alone in League One.

The Owls manager spoke of his excitement as he prepares his relegated squad for the 2010/11 season after completing the signing of 27-year-old Preston striker Neil Mellor on a season-long loan.

Irvine, who has now drafted in seven new recruits during the close season, said: "Neil is a player I know very well from my time at Preston and I'm delighted to bring him to Sheffield Wednesday for the season.

"We've worked really hard to bring Neil and all the other new players to the club and I'm very pleased with the business we have done. I'd be excited about the squad we have assembled for the Championship, never mind League One."

Sheffield-born Mellor, a graduate from the Liverpool academy, has had loan spells in the Barclays Premier League and the Championship with Wigan and West Ham respectively.

He joined Preston for £500,000 in the summer of 2006 and went on to score 34 goals from 69 starts for the Lilywhites

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/03072010/63/irvine-championship-squad.html

Let's hope he's right, but which of the players he's signed would a championship team pay a fee for?

Guest Irvinesbarmyarmy

He could have said he had a Premier League squad, but that would have been a tad too optimistic I suppose :|

Guest Irvinesbarmyarmy

Alan didnt take us down(well he did but I dont blame him for our relegation). Was down to a certain unambitious board and chairman who refused to stick their neck out and strengthen the squad. Alan did the best he could IMO; the players on that pitch were an embarassment to everyone associated with the club...

If he was good enough do you think Preston would have off-loaded him for the whole season?

or could it've been that him and Ferguson didn't like each other very much.

Guest Irvinesbarmyarmy

Put it this way, we could have Sir Alex as manager and he probably wouldnt get us promoted within one season tbh (with the limited resources Irvine has)