:We have a Championship squad

Irvine: We have a Championship squad

Sat, 03 Jul 09:43:13 2010

Buzz Up!

Alan Irvine believes the squad he has assembled during pre-season is good enough to challenge in the npower Championship let alone in League One.

The Owls manager spoke of his excitement as he prepares his relegated squad for the 2010/11 season after completing the signing of 27-year-old Preston striker Neil Mellor on a season-long loan.

Irvine, who has now drafted in seven new recruits during the close season, said: "Neil is a player I know very well from my time at Preston and I'm delighted to bring him to Sheffield Wednesday for the season.

"We've worked really hard to bring Neil and all the other new players to the club and I'm very pleased with the business we have done. I'd be excited about the squad we have assembled for the Championship, never mind League One."

Sheffield-born Mellor, a graduate from the Liverpool academy, has had loan spells in the Barclays Premier League and the Championship with Wigan and West Ham respectively.

He joined Preston for £500,000 in the summer of 2006 and went on to score 34 goals from 69 starts for the Lilywhites

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/03072010/63/irvine-championship-squad.html