Mellor signs on loan - OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED

Another top top signing for this league. Thats me going for a half st now for def. I said I would wait to see if the club were ambitous and they have been. Been a while since our summer transfers have actually got me excited. Think this is going to be a bit like Wilkos first year in charge....."mean mean mean machine!!!"

Fantastic signing, and a season long loan so no fee involved either (and maybe even not full wages).

No way would Mellor have dropped down to LG1 if it wasnt for Irvine imo, great work AI.

The Wednesday manager said: "Neil is a player I know very well from my time at Preston and I am delighted to bring him to Sheffield Wednesday for the season.

"We've worked really hard to bring Neil and all the other new players to the club and I'm very pleased with the business we have done.

"I'd be excited about the squad we have assembled for the Championship, never mind League One." I agree :biggrin:

mellor tudgay heffernan

those 3 will put the fear of god up the majority of league 1 defenders.

backed up with a strong midfield and a steady defence and obviously granty...we are looking strong.

roll on august.

Guest domSWFC

Yeah..Mellor and Heffernen would be a very decent partnership...both natural goalscorers.

Tudgay better pull his finger out now.

I agree with the Mellor and Heffernen partnership, so maybe Tudgay will be competing with Sedgwick and JJ for a place out wide?

He's brought in versatile players, so he has go so many options on how to set the team up, I'm excited to see what he does.

The thing which excites me is the options.

Last season until around November we knew JJ was on the right and Gray was on the left. We didnt actually have any other options.

Who is going to start on the left next year? We have numerous players who can play there.

Who will start on the right? We have tons who can play on the right too.

Genuine competition is what we have desired for years.

Guest intercity0wl

It just goes to show, if Irvine had been manager for more of last season, with these sort of signings we could of seen a comfortable mid table finish. I honestly believe that we now have a much stronger squad than last season, and we finally look to have strength in depth, something that we haven't really seen since our Premiership years. Well done to the club and well done to Alan Irvine. He's beginning to shape his own squad, and the vital thing is, he's got the players in with ample time to gel before the season starts. I'm sure it doesn't really have to be said knowing us, but let's get behind the lads!

This post is in no way aimed at you,but wish i could be arsed to look back at all those on here who were questioning the ability of AI to attract players and assemble a squad of his own and one which would give us hope, and are now posting again heaping praise on the him for doing just that.

Give the guy credit he has done wonders in who he has got to put pen to paper so far.

Guest intercity0wl

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of whether or not Mellor is an Owl or a Blades fan?

Whichever one it is he will only be scoring goals for one of them wont he.

Guest utOwlz

I like this signing, would be good for the Championship like Irvine says, but im still abit worried that we only have Mellor, Tudgay and Heffernan which means if just one of them get injured then our strike force picks itself, we need another striker but i know we probably cant afford it. Not sure about JJ as a striker yet too, yes he has pace but his finishing is terrible

All in all though it does look a good squad for this league, lets just prey that they stay fit because it will only take a few injurys and we will be looking vulnerable.

Guest YorkOwl89

tudgay is going to struggle to get a start, might make him work a bit harder!

lets bloody hope so, at uni i had loads of mates asking bout tudgay cos he had such a good season 08/09 by the way york chris owl, where bouts in york u live?