stop slating potter!!!

Guest CDswfc

why are we all so adament on slating potter. ??? he was the only player apart from spurr who actuallly wanted the ball, he passes it well, he has a great technical ability, one the best in the squad.. he has an eye for goal. he can take set pieces. . he didnt have the best of seasons we know, but he can do a good job for us next year? thoughts????

Hi Darren / Darren's brother / Darren's dad or whichever relation you are.

Potter was our worst player last year - never in space to receive the ball, never making runs or getting in dangerous positions, never playing through balls or even forward passes, never beating a man to create something, never putting in a decent corner or free-kick, never working hard, never getting stuck in or even tackling, never marking the opposition central midfield players.

In short he was absolutely crap, and what is worse quite possibly not because of a lack of ability - needs to realise that to be a good footballer first and foremost you need to apply yourself. If one player could sum up what was wrong with SWFC last season it is Darren Potter. Hopefully this experience will be a reality check for him and make him re-evaluate his contributions to the team.

why are we all so adament on slating potter. ??? he was the only player apart from spurr who actuallly wanted the ball, he passes it well, he has a great technical ability, one the best in the squad.. he has an eye for goal. he can take set pieces. . he didnt have the best of seasons we know, but he can do a good job for us next year? thoughts????

It could be because Clarke is no longer with Wednesday.

I don't feel as embarrased about my McMahon thread now, thanks!

Of a bad bunch, I think Potter showed the least desire and application and he was totally ineffective in the majority of games.

Guest CDswfc

Hi Darren / Darren's brother / Darren's dad or whichever relation you are.

Potter was our worst player last year - never in space to receive the ball, never making runs or getting in dangerous positions, never playing through balls or even forward passes, never beating a man to create something, never putting in a decent corner or free-kick, never working hard, never getting stuck in or even tackling, never marking the opposition central midfield players.

In short he was absolutely crap, and what is worse quite possibly not because of a lack of ability - needs to realise that to be a good footballer first and foremost you need to apply yourself. If one player could sum up what was wrong with SWFC last season it is Darren Potter. Hopefully this experience will be a reality check for him and make him re-evaluate his contributions to the team.

I do agree that if he applied himself a bit more he would do better and would b more liked... time t get rid?

I do agree that if he applied himself a bit more he would do better and would b more liked... time t get rid?

Time for him to get his head down. To sell a player you have to have offers for him, the player then has to be happy with the wage offered.

Cant see anyone making an offer for him at present, and if they did i cannot see them matching his current wage. If he doesnt begin to put more into his game this will be the highest wage he ever gets.

It could be because Clarke is no longer with Wednesday.

The worst thing about Potter is that he actually has plenty of ability but just did not apply himself in more than a couple of games last season (whereas Clarke is just poo ). If Potter had shown a fraction of the ability he showed in his first season with us when he was playing for a contract then we would have stayed up. Same goes for Gray although he has the excuse that he's getting on a bit (and AI wouldn't play him)

Guest Sniper1

Players who contributed less than Darren Potter last season

Frank Simek

Richard Hinds

Lewis Buxton

Tommy Miller

Sean McAllister

Ettienne Esajas

Luke Boden

Micheal Gray

Tom Soares

Francis Jeffers

Leon Clarke

Akpo Sodje

This is why we are where we are, not because of one flippingplayer.

Potter is a good footballer, we are/were a poor team.

None of our players had a good season because we were relegated.

New season, new start.

Lets not dwell on last season, time to move on.

Edited by Sniper1

New season, new start.

Lets not dwell on last season, time to move on.

This season hasn't finished yet. Not until the 1st July...

Soooooo...

Potter played the Kenny Lunt, hole, O'Brien, invisible man etc, role.

Wouldn't mind but he was bought to keep the flow in a passing game.

But every pass he played was sideways at best. And in the end the passing game got Laws sacked.

AI came in and started playing more direct. Therefore making Potter even more useless. And leaving us in need of one more battling midfielder to go with JOC.

Even in the right system he played like a ghost. In the wrong system it showed how much of a luxury he is.

Other than a handful of games Potter was poo last season. Consistently ineffective and a major reason why we were relegated. I hope to Christ he won't be taking our set pieces next season. Next season is a new season and a new start though so he does deserve a clean slate.

I'm trying to think of anything useful that our so called creative flair player actually did last season.

Goals scored - 3

Assists - very few

Pointless passes to fullbacks - 8,319

Passed ball forwards - 2

Tackles won - 0

Tackles bottled - 55,814

Number of league games spent sitting in a deckchair in centre circle - 46

So tell me, what does he actually do?

:biggrin: Good but you forgot...

Corners to the first man 102

Corners floated into the keepers arms 158

Guest Jenkins

Possession is key and Potter was pretty handy keeping possession and controlling the play but no some people expect gun-ho football, ridiculous.

Guest DSC_UK

Probably because he under performed badly last season along with lots of other players but in the centre of midfield and you do badly you will have a massive impact on the team.

I have to assume that you’ve never seen Darren Potter play.

Possession is key and Potter was pretty handy keeping possession and controlling the play but no some people expect gun-ho football, ridiculous.

But what's the point in "keeping possession" when 9 times out of 10 when he had the ball he'd just pass it out to the fullbacks who'd hoof it forward and lose possession anyway?

Surely you'd expect more from the so called creative flair player in midfield?

But what's the point in "keeping possession" when 9 times out of 10 when he had the ball he'd just pass it out to the fullbacks who'd hoof it forward and lose possession anyway?

Surely you'd expect more from the so called creative flair player in midfield?

The biggest problem i have with Potter that apart from perhaps EE, he was probably the most technically capable player at the club. He has all the right attributes to be a very good centre midfielder.

There were one or two games over the last two seasons where we've seen this (PNE away for example). His biggest flaw is that he doesn't have the balls/nerve/confidence (call it what you will) to take the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate the game. He has the ability, but on far too many occasions he just shys away from the game, fails to offer himself for the ball, then when he does, looks to give a nothing ball.

People slate Buxton and Spurr but for me, they were/are bog standard players who were playing out of form last season - you couldn't really question their attitude. Potter on the other hand has all the attributes but just didn't look to apply himself. The same could be said for Tudgay, Clarke, EE etc.... These players deserve to be critised because we quite rightly expected more from them.

That said, the new season is a fresh start for me, Potter will get my backing with me fully expecting him to put in the shifts this coming season. If he doesn't then he will be getting ripped again!!