Austria game confirmed

Except it won't....

I agree with Fras

Why? Will it not? Genuine question.

Is it not accepted that the reason why Kenyan's and Ethiopian's are better runners are because they train at higher altitudes. It is something about making lungs work harder so they get stronger. A weeks running in the Alps will get you fitter than a weeks running in the Peaks?

There is the obvious benefit of the whole squad going away which will allow them to bond. Almost half of the squad (8 plus the 3 kids) will not have been with the current players week in week out all season.

There is also the altitude training which will improve fitness and get players fitter quicker.

The Malta trip was a great trip for the fans (i.e. Grandad and his lad) but turned our team into a pampered bunch of also-rans.

This bonding rubbish doesn't wash either.

A team can bond where ever the hell they want.

There's absolutely no need to travel half way across Europe.

I must admit, I posted my thoughts expecting to be given some real positive reasons as to why we have chosen such a country and circumstances to train during pre-season.

But there isn't a reason is there? It's just bullshit. Also there's plenty of hills in Scotland if they want altitude training...and it won't cost nowhere near the amount we'll have paid to go to Austria. But like Scram has said, training at altitude will have little if no effect during the course of a 46 game season.

Is it not accepted that the reason why Kenyan's and Ethiopian's are better runners are because they train at higher altitudes. It is something about making lungs work harder so they get stronger. A weeks running in the Alps will get you fitter than a weeks running in the Peaks?

I don't think a week up in the mountains will make a bit of difference.

If you live in the mountains, train up there week in week out, year in, year out...then I'd imagine you might get a slight advantage.

Over a short space of time, I'd assume the difference will be negligible if anything at all.

Basically...the training camp to Austria is a waste of money. Exactly what the club need to be spending they never ending supply of wonga on.

I must admit, I posted my thoughts expecting to be given some real positive reasons as to why we have chosen such a country and circumstances to train during pre-season.

But there isn't a reason is there? It's just bullshit. Also there's plenty of hills in Scotland if they want altitude training...and it won't cost nowhere near the amount we'll have paid to go to Austria. But like Scram has said, training at altitude will have little if no effect during the course of a 46 game season.

Bloody hell calm down! lol

It aint that far or expencive and the Manager believes the altitude and facilities will be of benefit. Its very popular so he aint on his own. Its to get them off to a flyer, who says anything about it keeping them fit all season! :blink:

Fecking nit picking! :rolleyes:

Edited by Donny__Owl

People who benefit from altitude training usually live there - or train there for some considerable time - acclimatisation alone can be 7-10 days.

So going for a week is a pointless watse as far as altitude training is concerned because the body won't adapt and acclimatise in time.

Basically the lower oxygen content in the air means the body produces more red blood cells to increase the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood - but this doesn't happen straight away - in fact some people can't train optimally for a while at altitude because they cannot cope as well with the reduced oxygen.

Once acclimatised altitude training is undoubtedly beneficial - but once altitude training stops the increased effects are lost within 7-10 days of returning to normal altitude.

Your lungs develop the ability to extract more oxygen out of the thinner air, but the advantage wears off about three weeks after returning to normal altitude. It makes you train harder though and push your limits. The biggest downside is that yer can't make a decent cup of tea at altitude no matter whether you use PG or Yorkshire tea bags!

OK so you don't really have any reasons why it is a bad idea then!!

Taking teams (sports teams, teams in any work) away from the normal circumstances (i.e. on tour for a sports team, or out of the office for another job) is tried and tested and successfull. Have you ever been on tour with a sports team? I have an it improved morale and got people to know each other much better. It had benefits for the whole season.

Your point about Scotland doesn't answer the point about altitude. Austria is a lot higher up than Scotland (12,000ft compared to 4,000ft)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_highest_point

Bloody hell calm down! lol

It aint that far or expencive and the Manager believes the altitude and facilities will be of benefit. Its very popular so he aint on his own. Its to get them off to a flyer, who says anything about it keeping them fit all season! :blink:

Fecking nit picking! :rolleyes:

It's not nit picking.

But we plead poverty and claim to rely solely on the fans to provide the playing budget.

But because our manager fancies a trip to Europe in July, we are happy to waste a sizeable amount of money (money we haven't got, or could have been put to better uses) on a trip with absolutely no benefits.

It's crazy.

But hey ho. Alan likes it in Austria, so it's fine.

People who benefit from altitude training usually live there - or train there for some considerable time - acclimatisation alone can be 7-10 days.

So going for a week is a pointless watse as far as altitude training is concerned because the body won't adapt and acclimatise in time.

Basically the lower oxygen content in the air means the body produces more red blood cells to increase the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood - but this doesn't happen straight away - in fact some people can't train optimally for a while at altitude because they cannot cope as well with the reduced oxygen.

Once acclimatised altitude training is undoubtedly beneficial - but once altitude training stops the increased effects are lost within 7-10 days of returning to normal altitude.

Thanks for a decent answer!

But I was under the impression that British runners go abroad for altitude training all the time? As the majority of running meets are not at high altitude surely they wouldn't do this if it was a complete waste of time? Perhaps all this is done so we really hammer Grimsby in the first pre-season game...

OK so you don't really have any reasons why it is a bad idea then!!

Taking teams (sports teams, teams in any work) away from the normal circumstances (i.e. on tour for a sports team, or out of the office for another job) is tried and tested and successfull. Have you ever been on tour with a sports team? I have an it improved morale and got people to know each other much better. It had benefits for the whole season.

Your point about Scotland doesn't answer the point about altitude. Austria is a lot higher up than Scotland (12,000ft compared to 4,000ft)

http://en.wikipedia....y_highest_point

But neither will make a blind bit of difference to altitude training!!!

Scotland's a damn sight cheaper, closer and provides a location "away from normal circumstances" so the team can bond in a "tried and tested and successfull (sic)" way.

Like I have said, I just think it's a waste of money. The money could have been put to more useful purposes.

It's not nit picking.

But we plead poverty and claim to rely solely on the fans to provide the playing budget.

But because our manager fancies a trip to Europe in July, we are happy to waste a sizeable amount of money (money we haven't got, or could have been put to better uses) on a trip with absolutely no benefits.

It's crazy.

But hey ho. Alan likes it in Austria, so it's fine.

Maybe Al should run his ideas past you in future? lol

I agree with 'rica' on this...

Esepcially important as they'll be so many new players.

Maybe Al should run his ideas past you in future? lol

I agree with 'rica' on this...

Esepcially important as they'll be so many new players.

Why do we have to spend money to go abroad though?

Bonding can be done anywhere. Wales, Scotland, Ireland.

There's no explanation.

Anyway, I've said my bit. It's a stupid idea and a total waste of resources (FACT biggrin.gif) and that's the end of it.

But neither will make a blind bit of difference to altitude training!!!

Scotland's a damn sight cheaper, closer and provides a location "away from normal circumstances" so the team can bond in a "tried and tested and successfull (sic)" way.

Like I have said, I just think it's a waste of money. The money could have been put to more useful purposes.

Well if your point is about the budget then if we are spending £6m on a sports team for a season then why can't spend 1% of that on the pre-season the manager wants?

(apologies for the poor grammar)

Thanks for a decent answer!

But I was under the impression that British runners go abroad for altitude training all the time? As the majority of running meets are not at high altitude surely they wouldn't do this if it was a complete waste of time? Perhaps all this is done so we really hammer Grimsby in the first pre-season game...

It's not a complete waste of time per se - but it is for a week - becuae of acclimatisation and very little carry over effect which is soon lost

No serious athlete will go for a one-off week of altitude training - but they might go for several weeks - and/or choose to live (or be generally based) at altitude

Guest Deleted member

ahhhh you mean like Malta??

Why do we have to spend money to go abroad though?

Bonding can be done anywhere. Wales, Scotland, Ireland.

There's no explanation.

Anyway, I've said my bit. It's a stupid idea and a total waste of resources (FACT biggrin.gif) and that's the end of it.

lol

TBH it might not be much different in cost to Scotland.

It's not a complete waste of time per se - but it is for a week - becuae of acclimatisation and very little carry over effect which is soon lost

No serious athlete will go for a one-off week of altitude training - but they might go for several weeks - and/or choose to live (or be generally based) at altitude

Cool - makes sense. I will stick to running round town then.

They wont need to acclimatisation , they aint playing in those conditions all season.

The training will be tougher straight away because of the alltitude, and get them fitter quicker.