!969-1970 Relegation

40 years ago on a very wet night in front of a packed hillsborough we lost 2-1 to Man city and Palace were safe.

It only seems like yesterday I cried all the way home.

Tomorrow let all our season's good luck come in one final game, whatever there will be no tears from me

this time. Just us old un's now drown our sorrows.

tony coleman scored a 30 yard screamer to bring us level but sadly all to no avail ........wednesday just never turned up that night

From what I've seen of the 15 games I've managed to get too this season our 2009 - 2010 team have been trying to emulate that night all season..

Guest calne eagle

I seem to remember that Man City were doing their level best to help us win that one (apart from scoring themselves).

Is that how you recall it Big J or is my grey matter misfiring?

I was waitng very tensely for the result to come through. Of course, in those days, it was a case of waiting for the sports bulletin after the radio news.

I have somewhere the 1970 Palace Supporters' Club Season Review,and there is a tale of two Palace fans (not Eagles then, of course) who travelled to Hillsborough to watch the game. They reported that whoever it was who scored the winning goal for Citteh was celebrating pretty much on his own, with his teammates looking at him as if to say 'you weren't supposed to do that'.

I was waitng very tensely for the result to come through. Of course, in those days, it was a case of waiting for the sports bulletin after the radio news.

I have somewhere the 1970 Palace Supporters' Club Season Review,and there is a tale of two Palace fans (not Eagles then, of course) who travelled to Hillsborough to watch the game. They reported that whoever it was who scored the winning goal for Citteh was celebrating pretty much on his own, with his teammates looking at him as if to say 'you weren't supposed to do that'.

Ian Boyer who came on as sub.

Pouring rain. 45,000. I went to Old Trafford the week before expecting defeat but we came back from 2-0 to draw 2-2. It was City who didn't turn up! Deliberatley! But we still couldn't score! Doyle rolled the ball to Grummit when they got a penalty. I hold a grudge against Ian Bowyer to this day! I came back sat on rubble in the back of a builders van and out of the tiny, wet windows I saw the neon sign "Crystal Palace" under Heeley Bridge. I think this was a bingo hall. Awful, miserable night. Never thought 40 years later we'd be in a worse position and I'd have to go through it all again!

Guest anstonowls

40 years ago on a very wet night in front of a packed hillsborough we lost 2-1 to Man city and Palace were safe.

Tomorrow let all our season's good luck come in one final game, whatever there will be no tears from me

We only needed a draw that night, so roles are reversed this time. But I can imagine Wednesday will do everything possible to give Palace the draw they need and make a mess of that and win instead, sending palace down.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

I seem to remember that Man City were doing their level best to help us win that one (apart from scoring themselves).

Is that how you recall it Big J or is my grey matter misfiring?

Like you I was never as miserable football-wise as that night.

That's exactly how I remember it, they were giving us the ball at every opportunity....

It was devastating, everyone considered us a major Div 1 club then, it seemed unthinkable that we would go down...

I couldn't believe it on the way home with my dad and family it was as though someone had died.... awful .....

That's exactly how I remember it, they were giving us the ball at every opportunity....

It was devastating, everyone considered us a major Div 1 club then, it seemed unthinkable that we would go down...

I couldn't believe it on the way home with my dad and family it was as though someone had died.... awful .....

Just as I remembered it too. It really was one of the most pivotal matches ever, so many people said they'd never step foot in Hillsborough again after that shameful performance. Although I was but a kid I can honestly say that this match feels so much like the City game except that they were easing up ahead of a Cup Winner's Cup Final the following week whereas Palace are fighting for their lives. That 69/70 season felt like this one too with poor performances all season and luck never being on our side. Everton went on to be champions but were incredibly fortunate to beat us 1-0 at Hillsborough.

Many swear that the City penalty taker told Grummitt where the ball was going and my memory is that the ball only just reached the goal-line. Coleman's goal was stunning but we didn't seem bothered that night. Bowyer came on as sub playing for his place in the Euro final and the rest is history. It took years to recover from the blow.

We only needed a draw that night, so roles are reversed this time. But I can imagine Wednesday will do everything possible to give Palace the draw they need and make a mess of that and win instead, sending palace down.

No....we needed to win. Which is why we had to push on after Tony Coleman's equaliser.

I don't think any Wednesday fan in the crowd that night thought we wouldn't do it. The previous game we'd been away to Man Utd and if we'd lost we would have been down and at 0-2 after 15 minutes it seemed all over. But Wednesday produced a stunning fightback to equalise and did everything but win. All we had to do was the same (actually much less as it turned out) but the players seemed scared and just couldn't string two passes together. It was just unbelievable to watch.

When I was going home I was in tears. We'd seen teams like Plymouth, Swindon, Barrow (!) come to Hillsborough for cup games but they seemed like park teams to me. Now we were going to have to play them in the league....

Was long trip home that night for us London Owls. Soaked through after standing on Kop, midnight train to London which got back at about 5am. Then had to wait for underground to open ... and 14 years to get back into the top flight. What wonderful memories!

Awful night, didn't have a coat only my newish school blazer, which I managed to rip a hole in when stood on the railings at the back of the Kop trying to see the game. Me and my mate holding on to each other for dear life!

We both fell off when Grummitt saved the pen....

Got soaked and a good hiding off me mam when I got home....

Oh Happy days!!

sheffix mentioned Everton beating us 1-0. This game was the first time I can remember a corner being taken with the ball OUTSIDE the quadrant. Everybody does it now, why I can't think, what difference does a few cms make? I think it was Alan Ball taking the corner and I think they socred from it. I rememebr thinking that cheating could win them the league and, more importantly, send us down.

Guest clumber58

I was an eleven year old schoolboy that night. It was the worst night of my young life so far (I've had far worse since).

Years later I had a pre-match meal with Mike Summerbee at a Man City v Wednesday game. He was playing host to the corporate guests that day. MS broke his leg in the 1970 game which was a personal disaster for him as it was World Cup year and he was an England international at the time.

He admitted that most of the City players wouldn't have minded Wednesday winning that night. The journey from Manchester to Shefifield being alot easier than the journey to South London (no planes or overnight stops in those days). Unfortunately, young substitute Ian Bowyer was playing for a first team place and scored two goals after coming on.

Come on Wednesday!