Possible replacement for grant

Guest thewill

Guest thewill

Don't get me wrong, Lee Grant has been by far one of the best players we have had all season. kept us in many games, his shot stopping ability is second to none, at times he does struggle to command his area, but he is getting better. A well deserved player of the year!

However, there have been reports that he has attracted interest from other clubs, mainly more successful clubs in a higher division, so i think we'd be soft if we didn't take advantage of the possible £millions of income into the club (providing it was used wisely). If he did leave, that would leave a big gap in the squad. with Kasper Schmeichel available on a free, we should at least get in line to sign him. If (and it is an if, not a certainty) we were relegated, league 1 requires a certain type of goalkeeper of which Kasper Schmeichel is. However if we pull our fingers out on sunday and win, Kasper Schmeichel could be a decent back up for one of our reserves to step up such as o'Donnel.

Thoughts?

Guest OwlertonG

Don't get me wrong, Lee Grant has been by far one of the best players we have had all season. kept us in many games, his shot stopping ability is second to none, at times he does struggle to command his area, but he is getting better. A well deserved player of the year!

However, there have been reports that he has attracted interest from other clubs, mainly more successful clubs in a higher division, so i think we'd be soft if we didn't take advantage of the possible £millions of income into the club (providing it was used wisely). If he did leave, that would leave a big gap in the squad. with Kasper Schmeichel available on a free, we should at least get in line to sign him. If (and it is an if, not a certainty) we were relegated, league 1 requires a certain type of goalkeeper of which Kasper Schmeichel is. However if we pull our fingers out on sunday and win, Kasper Schmeichel could be a decent back up for one of our reserves to step up such as o'Donnel.

Thoughts?

I think this is going to be the start of many threads, as a ton of players are released at the end of the season

But Kasper would be a good aquasition

Kasper Scheichel was on £15k a week at County which is why they released him. Therefore we can't afford him.

Also he is poo and trading on his Dads name imo. He has looked brilliant in League 2 but the two times I have seen him (and my mate who watched him week in week out for Oldham/Stockport (can't remember which team it was!)) he has flapped more than a flapping flapper. I would compare him to Brad jones personally...

Guest SWFC_J.S

Tbh, i wouldnt be that fussed it grant went at the end of the season. Yes hes a good shot stopper, but thats pretty much where the talent ends. he doesnt come off his line (except coventry), and his distribution is awful. He is a very average championship keeper.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Tbh, i wouldnt be that fussed it grant went at the end of the season. Yes hes a good shot stopper, but thats pretty much where the talent ends. he doesnt come off his line (except coventry), and his distribution is awful. He is a very average championship keeper.

And Mr. Average has secured Player of the Year......

If it wasn't for Lee Grants performances and attitude, our negative goal difference would be double.

He does not deserve that critique, whereas that cannot be said for certain others - however they still have one match to regain some credibility.

Guest Irvinesbarmyarmy

Did anyone think that the Palace keeper pulled off some great saves v West Brom the other night? I thought he played a blinder..

Guest thewill

Did anyone think that the Palace keeper pulled off some great saves Vs West Brom the other night? I thought he played a blinder..

Yes, Speroni had a great game, although west brom weren't as clinical as they could/should have been in-front of goal.

Also, do you think we will be able to use our head of recruitment? (and i quote):

"Henderson comes with an excellent track record in analysis and recruitment of senior players, having set up the independent Scouting Network - a comprehensive database of more than 40,000 players which the Owls can now tap into."

Like someone else said above, its the end of the season and we will see 100s of players become available. Lets hope this time we get the recruitment right!

Guest Stereophonics

Don't rate that Speroni that much. Few good reflex saves but was very slow and indecisive when coming off his line.

Don't rate that Speroni that much. Few good reflex saves but was very slow and indecisive when coming off his line.

Its like a lot of players at this and lower prem level. Great shot stoppers but dodgy at crosses and commanding the area. 10 a penny really. The best ones are the keepers that instill total confidence in the defence

He's only young in goalkeeper terms, commanding his area and organising the backline is something that will ocme with age and experience.

Look at Brad Friedel, he looked average at Liverpool and is now one of the best in the Prem.

If we get relegated, do we even need a new keeper?

Unless we get a too good to refuse offer I don't think Grant will leave if we stay up. However, if we go down would that be the time to give two apparently highly rated keepers in O'Donnell and Jameson a chance to show what they can do? If they're any good they've got to start playing some time.