Why I am so sad

I watched Mick Prendergast and Brian Joicey up front together. I loved prendo, all guts and effort, and a decent scorer too. I remember us beating palace at Villa park and the papers headline the next day "What rejoiceying". I loved Andy Mc Culloch and Mick Pickering, and the crazy terry curran, who just loved playing for Wednesday. Gary Shelton going into tackles against blokes twice his size and coming out with the ball at his feet. Miky Lyons having his face stitched up and still carrying on playing. Mel Sterland putting wingers in Row Z of the North stand and saying "You want some more of that", and then running the full length of the field knocking people out of his way. Brian Hornsby screaming one in at the Tivolli end, and celebrating like it was the winner in the world cup final. Nigel Pearson sticking his head into situations nobody else would. Ticker Taylor heading that goal at blackburn. And then the elegance. Waddle ripping WHU to pieces. The wonderful Roland Nilson. And Hirsty. flippinghell Hirsty.

And why am I sad?

Because the current squad dont have one ounce of the guts that any of those players had. Clarke is (maybe) a better "footballer" than Joicey was. But not fit to lace his boots. Purse couldnt look either Pearson or Pickering in the eyes. Not one mid fielder capable of making one Gary Shelton tackle in their entire careers, Forwards who should be honoured to wear the shirt once worn by Nilson, Hirst and Waddle, but probably neither know or care who they were.

You know Mick Prendergast, Brian Joicey, Gary Shelton, Lawrie Madden, Ian Knight, and even Mel Sterland, werent the most gifted or talented players ever to wear the shirt: but they flippingcared. And thats why as far as I am concerned Clarke, Jeffers, Esseyas, Potter and the other wasters who have stolen a wage from our fantastic club can go and join the dole queues next week.

I dont even care now if we go down. we will rebuild, we will be great again, but some of the current squad, when they leave S6 next Sunday night should be doing so, with their heads held in deep deep shame.

I watched Mick Prendergast and Brian Joicey up front together. I loved prendo, all guts and effort, and a decent scorer too. I remember us beating palace at Villa park and the papers headline the next day "What rejoiceying". I loved Andy Mc Culloch and Mick Pickering, and the crazy terry curran, who just loved playing for Wednesday. Gary Shelton going into tackles against blokes twice his size and coming out with the ball at his feet. Miky Lyons having his face stitched up and still carrying on playing. Mel Sterland putting wingers in Row Z of the North stand and saying "You want some more of that", and then running the full length of the field knocking people out of his way. Brian Hornsby screaming one in at the Tivolli end, and celebrating like it was the winner in the world cup final. Nigel Pearson sticking his head into situations nobody else would. Ticker Taylor heading that goal at blackburn. And then the elegance. Waddle ripping WHU to pieces. The wonderful Roland Nilson. And Hirsty. flippinghell Hirsty.

And why am I sad?

Because the current squad dont have one ounce of the guts that any of those players had. Clarke is (maybe) a better "footballer" than Joicey was. But not fit to lace his boots. Purse couldnt look either Pearson or Pickering in the eyes. Not one mid fielder capable of making one Gary Shelton tackle in their entire careers, Forwards who should be honoured to wear the shirt once worn by Nilson, Hirst and Waddle, but probably neither know or care who they were.

You know Mick Prendergast, Brian Joicey, Gary Shelton, Lawrie Madden, Ian Knight, and even Mel Sterland, werent the most gifted or talented players ever to wear the shirt: but they flippingcared. And thats why as far as I am concerned Clarke, Jeffers, Esseyas, Potter and the other wasters who have stolen a wage from our fantastic club can go and join the dole queues next week.

I dont even care now if we go down. we will rebuild, we will be great again, but some of the current squad, when they leave S6 next Sunday night should be doing so, with their heads held in deep deep shame.

They should be yes, but unfortunately their heads will more than likely stuck to their mobiles while they speak to their agents with a " I don't care who I play for or what division they are in, just make sure you get me as much money as you can".

Agree with the rest of your post by the way apart from the bit about Clarke being a better footballer than Joicey. My 85 year old mother in law has 2 replacement knees & is waiting for a new hip but she's a better footballer than Clarke. Of the many transfer disasters made by Laws, Clarke is by far the worst. The term footballer should never be used when describing his talents.

And why am I sad?

good post plonk I was probably in the crowd with you watching those past players.

The sad thing is and quite probably the major reason we are where we are today is that they won't hang their heads in shame or even glance over their shoulder as they are whisked off to pastures new by their leech agents.

And why am I sad?

Very well put - couldn't agree more. Some great names there, I loved watching Shelton, did he ever have a bad game.

As for Clarke, I don't think I've seen a worse player (maybe Peter Feeley) in a Wednesday shirt

We've been relegated before, we've been in the 3rd division before, but this is by far and away the lowest Sheffield Wednesday have ever been