Irvine Out

Getting rid of managers every 6 months does not work!

Give the guy a chance to bring in his own players and his own style of play.

Maybe the reason he has been so negative is due to the poor players we have and this may change once he has players he feels he can rely on.

I do not know how anyone can possibly judge the man when:-

a.) he hasn't had chance to get rid of players he doesn't rate

b.) he hasn't been given the opportunity to sign any of his own players.

He inherited a very poor team that had just 19 points half way through the season. The fact he has even got close shows he has done a half decent job in my opinion.

You have proven my point. The EXACT same reasons were given for keeping Turner when we went down and it was a disaster.

Shreeves, Yorath, Laws were also denied the opportunities you note- YET KEPT US UP in the same, if not worse circumstances.

If we go down he does not deserve the chance to rebuild. He has never managed or coached in League 1 and has never in his managerial history been promoted - there is no reason at all to keep him if we go down.

Guest becauseofboxingday

The only justifications for keeping Irvine if we go down are the very same ones we said when we kept Turner. It is virtually an identical scenario.

We cannot make the same mistake again.

I do not know how anyone can possibly judge the man when:-

a.) he hasn't had chance to get rid of players he doesn't rate

b.) he hasn't been given the opportunity to sign any of his own players.

He inherited a very poor team that had just 19 points half way through the season. The fact he has even got close shows he has done a half decent job in my opinion.

Guest becauseofboxingday

You have proven my point. The EXACT same reasons were given for keeping Turner when we went down and it was a disaster.

Shreeves, Yorath, Laws were also denied the opportunities you note- YET KEPT US UP in the same, if not worse circumstances.

If we go down he does not deserve the chance to rebuild. He has never managed or coached in League 1 and has never in his managerial history been promoted - there is no reason at all to keep him if we go down.

How can you possibly sack Irvine just because you should have sacked Turner. I have never heard such rubbish in all my life.

Man Utd stuck with Atkinson and it all went wrong. Therefore, by your logic they should have sacked Ferguson after his dire early seasons.

Guest Theboylangers

We should give him til Xmas surely? Chance to build in the summer and see how we fare in league 1. We have no money anyway so getting rid of him will cost us some proper money we cant afford. We've chopped and changed to our detriment before.

I would hope that our beloved chairman would have had it written into Irvine's contract that if he didn't save us from relegation, his compensation would be minimal should we get rid of him.

And as I pointed out on another thread, yes, this team is largely Laws's mess, but Irvine had the chance to make different loan signings in January. He chose the players that Laws had signed, i.e. Varney and Soares. Soares, for me, is useless, Varney no better than any player at the club already.

And after watching another of our players, Clarke, trying to be a footballer last week I find it difficult to understand why Irvine has persisted with him.

Guest totemowl

So are you saying we should appoint Shreeves? Or should we go a season without a manager?

What's your solution?

Guest anstonowls

I think we have to start at the top and Lee Strafford needs to go if Wednesday don't stay up. Lee appointed Irvine in place of Laws. At the time I said I was gutted and I standby that. In a full season Wednesday have gone from just failing to be in the playoffs to looking certain to go down. As far as I understand the budget for players has increased from last season, so our position should have improved. As far as I am concerned the culture at Wednesday is now more down beat than when Lee arrived.

Yes he inherited a sack of poo , but weve got exactly what i thought we would from him........................an improvement in the goals against tally , but stultifyingly boring going forward , i said when he was appointed that he wasnt the right choice (should have been Warnock) but we,re stuck with him even if we go down.

The reason for this being that instead of being cute about it like Bristol City have done with Coppell ( one year rolling contract ) we jumped in feet first with a THREE AND A HALF year deal.

So it looks like he,ll get his chance to build his own team...................................i hope he proves me wrong but i,m not in the slightest bit confident that he,ll turn us around.....................................and if investment does come i hope to god we dont give him free rein with the coffers if his signings at Preston are anything to go by!

Guest totemowl

anyone know where i can find a website where i can look at the league table from various points in this season? such as when laws was sacked, & 5 weeks after irvine took over.

Go to swfc.co.uk and look at the fixtures. Click the TB symbol to see the table after each match.

Guest totemowl

we missed out on the best manager we could of possibly got imo his name? STEVE COPPEL! he will do wonders with bristol next season, watch this space.

Did we? Please tell us why we missed out on him?

(Don't forget to mention the mileage, the money, the transfer budget, etc).

alan irvine you flippingtool. all those years as a number 2 dont mean flip all,dishing out bibs and putting the cones out

So is this a different Alan Irvine to the one we set on ( 111 games)? :mellow:

er.. you flippingtool

Edited by BIG D