Sheffield Wednesday Fans Invest

Guest becauseofboxingday

While I applaud the sentiment I don't think I am prepared to give even more of my hard earned money to overpaid footballers to buy their new Merc/BMW etc. Then when we do get the premiership our new fat cat owners will reap the (financial) benefit.

I'll stick in a grand if it is repaid with a grandstand season ticket for three seasons when we get to the premiership.

How about a half price season ticket for 3 years - no matter what the division?

Or all the wealthy could buy 20 season tickets each and raffle them off if it makes people feel better.

With the way Lee runs things we all have clarity on how many tickets are sold and what that means to the player budget.

Buying a season ticket or numerous tickets is the single best way to swell AI tranfer budget

I've been thinking about this and I think its a fantastic idea. According to the above there is 11500 pledged.

That can buy around 20 season tickets. So you raffle off a pair or one season ticket anywhere in the ground, a tenner a virtual ticket (similar to a paypal donation).

Give the proceeds of the raffle to SWFC as well. That way season ticket sales increase, budget is increased and there's money made on top of that via the raffle as well.

Supporters won't buy season tickets in the numbers wanted by the club so what makes you think the same persons would want to put any kind of money into said fund.

We are told the the debt is not a problem due to small servicing cost of half a million so money must be there for players, these players have a lot to answer for this season because more was spent on the squad last season than in previous years.

You're right - there is no guarantee that it will work, but as I said, I cannot believe that with the size of our fan base and the size of the city (and amongst them some wealthy people) that it wouldn't have a decent chance of success IF promoted by the club.

There may be those inside and outside the club who might think we should not be degrading ourselves by getting the begging bowls out, but in difficult times, needs must. And no-one is forcing anyone to do anything - it's down to each individual or business. So in that sense there is little to lose and everything to gain.

I agree that it appears the squad has underperformed and our debt service is very low and perhaps that does give rise to legitimate questions about how much of our turnover is being spent on the squad and whether the money being spent on non-squad resources is properly balanced. I would like to think that LS and NP will be painfully aware of this balance and the need to keep the bank onside who might start asking questions if we blow some of our turnover on new players and not on repaying debt.

Any 'new' revenue, albeit a one-off and donated for a specific purpose is ringfenced from that balancing act and therefore can only help. As I said, it is not without risk as the player/s bought might be useless or get injured in the first minute of their first match - but if the club are happy to accept funds from whatever (legal) source and promote it, and people are prepared to participate with their eyes wide open then why not?

For every black side, there is a potential upside - it's ok saying we might get a crap player - but then again, we might get a gem who we go on to sell for 4 million and that can then be churned back into the playing budget.

If you keep doing the same things then expect to achieve the same results. In my view it's better to try and fail than to not try at all.

Edited by Daz

Guest becauseofboxingday

For every black side, there is a potential upside - it's ok saying we might get a crap player - but then again, we might get a gem who we go on to sell for 4 million and that can then be churned back into the playing budget.

If you keep doing the same things then expect to achieve the same results. In my view it's better to try and fail than to not try at all.

^^^^^^^^^^

This

This is a fantastic idea and one I've toyed about posting about for a long time. Now I am in nowhere near a good enough financial position to contribute anything like the amounts others have mentioned but would be happy to make a regular contribution. I personally think that this would be a way that would interest a far greater number of fans and therefore generate more funds in the long run. Another benefit would be that if the money came into theclub monthly fans are less likely to notice it going out of the account and it would also be there monthly to pay the players wages.

The attendance on Sunday was in excess of 35k and although this is not a constant it shows the potential the club has ( and yes i know a few thousand were pigs) but people who for whatevever reason were unable to regularly attend but classed themselves as fans but stil wanted to contribute it gives them a way to do so.

I love the idea of every pound contributed beking recognised as again any contribution would be recognised by the club.

The average is in excess of 22k so far this season with another big gate set for the final game of the season. Just imagine 22k fans paying say £10 per month

22,000 x £10 x 12 = £2,640,000

over £2.5 million if the average fan paid just £10 er month into the fund. Imagine what a difference that could make.

UTO & WTID

I've been thinking about this and I think its a fantastic idea. According to the above there is 11500 pledged.

That can buy around 20 season tickets. So you raffle off a pair or one season ticket anywhere in the ground, a tenner a virtual ticket (similar to a paypal donation).

Give the proceeds of the raffle to SWFC as well. That way season ticket sales increase, budget is increased and there's money made on top of that via the raffle as well.

Who is it within the club that we would need to talk to about this? Deejay, are you listening? I wouldn't want this to end up being a(nother) flash in the pan, as this has got good mileage in it.

I'm happy for people to transfer all these pledges to my Swiss bank account today whilst it is fresh in their mind.

I will then transfer the funds to the club at the appropriate time (less my admin fee of 75% and sundry expenses of 5%).

I'm happy for people to transfer all these pledges to my Swiss bank account today whilst it is fresh in their mind.

I will then transfer the funds to the club at the appropriate time (less my admin fee of 75% and sundry expenses of 5%).

Now we know why accountants make so much money.... the smell of a fee eh??? :rolleyes::biggrin:

This is a fantastic idea and one I've toyed about posting about for a long time. Now I am in nowhere near a good enough financial position to contribute anything like the amounts others have mentioned but would be happy to make a regular contribution. I personally think that this would be a way that would interest a far greater number of fans and therefore generate more funds in the long run. Another benefit would be that if the money came into theclub monthly fans are less likely to notice it going out of the account and it would also be there monthly to pay the players wages.

The attendance on Sunday was in excess of 35k and although this is not a constant it shows the potential the club has ( and yes i know a few thousand were pigs) but people who for whatevever reason were unable to regularly attend but classed themselves as fans but stil wanted to contribute it gives them a way to do so.

I love the idea of every pound contributed beking recognised as again any contribution would be recognised by the club.

The average is in excess of 22k so far this season with another big gate set for the final game of the season. Just imagine 22k fans paying say £10 per month

22,000 x £10 x 12 = £2,640,000

over £2.5 million if the average fan paid just £10 er month into the fund. Imagine what a difference that could make.

UTO & WTID

Why do our fans always go bezerk at ticket price increases but are happy to pay £10 extra per month into a fund? Always found this odd.

Guest becauseofboxingday

We need to know whether the club would have any interest in this. Although I am struggling to see a reason why they wouldn't as there is no further dilution of the share base to potentially put off future investors.

We need to know whether the club would have any interest in this. Although I am struggling to see a reason why they wouldn't as there is no further dilution of the share base to potentially put off future investors.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem, as I recall LS at the last Wednesdayite "Forward Together" meeting in February saying he'd take money from anywhere. I imagine this would particularly be the case if it was offered to the club as a gift. That's tough though, because it's a huge punt whereby we might give money to the club on the chance of decent football/promotion, and get absolutely nowt back!

Still, that's life....!

too late mate I have already negotiated banking rights :cool:

Seriously this idea has always had legs and probably needed the investment talk to die away before people get behind it. IMO that time is now and the club should get behind or publicly declare recognition and it will take off.

BOBD's brilliant offer has been added to and I know a few more that will

Guest PAUL.

I'm in with this but can't we put it towards getting the very best manager possible who will get us to where we want to go, contribute to his wages as they don't earn as much as the players. The money raised via him then from doing his job and getting us up the league will self finance player aquisition.

Just a thought :ph34r:

Guest Housey

You're right - there is no guarantee that it will work, but as I said, I cannot believe that with the size of our fan base and the size of the city (and amongst them some wealthy people) that it wouldn't have a decent chance of success IF promoted by the club.

There may be those inside and outside the club who might think we should not be degrading ourselves by getting the begging bowls out, but in difficult times, needs must. And no-one is forcing anyone to do anything - it's down to each individual or business. So in that sense there is little to lose and everything to gain.

I agree that it appears the squad has underperformed and our debt service is very low and perhaps that does give rise to legitimate questions about how much of our turnover is being spent on the squad and whether the money being spent on non-squad resources is properly balanced. I would like to think that LS and NP will be painfully aware of this balance and the need to keep the bank onside who might start asking questions if we blow some of our turnover on new players and not on repaying debt.

Any 'new' revenue, albeit a one-off and donated for a specific purpose is ringfenced from that balancing act and therefore can only help. As I said, it is not without risk as the player/s bought might be useless or get injured in the first minute of their first match - but if the club are happy to accept funds from whatever (legal) source and promote it, and people are prepared to participate with their eyes wide open then why not?

I agree that we have to do something other than sit by as we drop down the divisions into oblivion, we need an injection of cash in order to progress but i would not be happy to hand it over to the very people who are responsible for our current position. I think that any group of supporters who were willing to put together a fans consortium and raise cash for the benefit of the squad should be given a seat on the board, none of the present person have come up with any ideas that appeared to have worked wso they should not be trusted to spend other peoples money.

Guest utOwlz

Why do our fans always go bezerk at ticket price increases but are happy to pay £10 extra per month into a fund? Always found this odd.

I think because paying the £10 a month is a choice, but ticket price increases are not our choice and some people get annoyed

Id love it if LS could set up a "donate now" button on the OS abit like the one on here, and try get the message out that we want around 12-15k fans each month to give £10, and not have it as a direct debit just a donate now where fans get the choice exactly when and how much they donate each month. Its probably unrealistic to expect all 22k fans that reg attend to do it thats why i say we could get 12-15k fans each month and i think thats realistic. I know id donate every month without fail if i knew it was being spent on players/wages. also im sure there would be some fans that would donate more than £10 each month, if we could get on average 12k fans each month to donate £10 that would mean an extra £1.44m a year and if it was 15k then it would mean £1.8m more.

I think the ideas of this thread are definatly something for LS to think about

I think because paying the £10 a month is a choice, but ticket price increases are not our choice and some people get annoyed

Id love it if LS could set up a "donate now" button on the OS abit like the one on here, and try get the message out that we want around 12-15k fans each month to give £10, and not have it as a direct debit just a donate now where fans get the choice exactly when and how much they donate each month. Its probably unrealistic to expect all 22k fans that reg attend to do it thats why i say we could get 12-15k fans each month and i think thats realistic. I know id donate every month without fail if i knew it was being spent on players/wages. also im sure there would be some fans that would donate more than £10 each month, if we could get on average 12k fans each month to donate £10 that would mean an extra £1.44m a year and if it was 15k then it would mean £1.8m more.

I think the ideas of this thread are definatly something for LS to think about

A much, much better idea would be to put 50% of the players wages at risk - then have a button on this site you press if you want £10 deducted from their pay for that week for p*ss poor performances. People can only click once and the most a player can be docked is 50% of their pay.

Money needs to be taken out of the game and RETURNED to supporters, not the other way round.

I am happy for those fans with loads of dosh to start a fund - in fact, i welcome it with open arms. It sickens me though to think of cash strapped owls giving up their hard earned to fund the already pampered lifestyle of a footballer.

I agree that we have to do something other than sit by as we drop down the divisions into oblivion, we need an injection of cash in order to progress but i would not be happy to hand it over to the very people who are responsible for our current position. I think that any group of supporters who were willing to put together a fans consortium and raise cash for the benefit of the squad should be given a seat on the board, none of the present person have come up with any ideas that appeared to have worked wso they should not be trusted to spend other peoples money.

It's a good point, but doesn't that begin to muddy the investment waters? As it stands, whilst you're absolutely right in what you say, what other options exist? I keep coming back to the notion of gifting the money to the club, but that grates even worse with everyone who holds the same view as you do. I have a feeling that keeping it clean might give away the option of some kind of power, but it keeps the transaction clean.

A tough question of trust.

But as FG said, above, the choice is down to the individual; just don't expect a guaranteed good result!