Sheffield Wednesday Fans Invest

Guest becauseofboxingday

Guest becauseofboxingday

It is a great idea in principle but I to think the operational side of a scheme like that could potentially be a nightmare.

If we had 20,000 people willing to part with money for a season ticket we would be fine....

Or all the wealthy could buy 20 season tickets each and raffle them off if it makes people feel better.

With the way Lee runs things we all have clarity on how many tickets are sold and what that means to the player budget.

Buying a season ticket or numerous tickets is the single best way to swell AI tranfer budget

The business man in me can't help but not want to put money in that I am not going to get back only for some other business person to profit from my money via a takeover when the club is on the up again. At least with the original idea I get the money back when we reach The Premier League.

Well we're up to £8,500. Not bad for 30 minutes :cool:

Edited by becauseofboxingday

That would be brilliant, like Barcelona.

I think its probably more realistic to find a few hundred businesses / wealthy individuals to give the manager a fighting fund than to find 30,000 people who can afford £1,000.

Especially as the club could commit some sort of advertising to the businesses that committed to at least give some sort of marketing/recognition back.

I would agree - I set this up 2 years ago in August when GS was floating around and had forgotten about it, but the principle is the same. I don't think it would take £30 million now to be honest - It sounds like it could be as little as £8m to get control of the club.

There's no reason why LS couldn't stay as Chairman and NP as Chief Exec. The main issue would be to get hold of the shares.

There are two things that concern me about this.

Firstly - are we actually skint? Its occurred to me a few times recently that as far as I am aware, we spend circa 500k pa on servicing the debt and we do so with the blessing of the co-op bank. Now I realise that half a mil is a fair wedge of cash but, in footballing terms, is that actually a lot of money? Relatively speaking? Clearing the debt in its entirety would, and please correct me if I'm wrong, ultimately only see us 500k a year better off. Surely its the case that, actually, we are one of few clubs spending within our means. If that's the case then the only logical conclusion would be that we are spending badly.

My second issue is with the nature of a one off injection of cash in relation to financial commitment.

Basically, if as suggested, we raise 1m that is ringfenced as a player fund, we cannot then go out and buy a 1m player can we? You have to take into account the contract value and length, the issue of improved contracts elsewhere in the team, etc etc. It would be vital, in my opinion, that any money raised was integrated with the current financial structure but, ultimately, that means the only way such a scheme would be successful is if the donors were able to commit to an annual renewal of their donation in order to sustain the extra financial burden.

In short, if we build a decent team and spend the raised cash - but fail to achieve promotion - how do we then service the increased financial burden? Isn't that how we got here in the first place?

I'm starting to feel that a rich benefactor isn't healthy - but then ultimately unless there is a dramatic shift in the playing field or we unwisely attempt to roll the dice and take a gamble - we are simply destined to yo-yo around the lower tiers of english football.

We had our day in the sun and arguably, we are now back where we belong. If the cost of servicing the debt is so minimal then I can't see any other conclusion - we are either wasting money on poo poo or, basically, we are poo poo.

Then what happens when the player doesn't get picked by the manager if they are out of form etc etc

Leave AI to look after the team we have enough mud slinging as it is nevermind tantrums from some fans if the player 'they' bought wasn't getting a game

AI would compile the list of 5 players to buy for the vote, all of whom he would want in his squad. Surely a player at around 500k mark would walk into our side. I don't see it being a major problem.

I've pm'd you mate

There is interest mate

I'm still here, steelowl, no less frustrated than when we last talked about it, when the January transfer window was still open!

My own opinion is this:

If it's investment, then we need to have something back from the club (shares etc).

If it's a gift, we don't.

I once lent £1k to a mate. He promised to pay it back and never did. We're still mates, but it strained the relationship badly. In the end I gave it to him, our friendship being worth more than £1000.

See where I'm coming from?

Very frustrated at the moment. So much good will.

The business man in me can't help but not want to put money in that I am not going to get back only for some other business person to profit from my money via a takeover when the club is on the up again. At least with the original idea I get the money back when we reach The Premier League.

I know what you're saying and i hope this can be successfull

I just think with things like this there is always an initial push then it fades away, but with Lee in charge now i'm sure there is no better time/chance of it working.

I'm still here, steelowl, no less frustrated than when we last talked about it, when the January transfer window was still open!

My own opinion is this:

If it's investment, then we need to have something back from the club (shares etc).

I once lent £1k to a mate. He promised to pay it back and never did. We're still mates, but it strained the relationship badly. In the end I gave it to him, our friendship being worth more than £1000.

pm on its way mate

My own opinion is this:

Will you be my friend??

Me for another £1k, just 21 minutes later...

The OP is a great idea

My main question is why haven't a group of businessmen whoa re Wednesdayites already come forward with a consortium. Or have they already with purchases of season tickets and exec boxes?

Anyway, this model was used by our NHL Edmonton Oilers with about 20 (I think) in the consortium that came together to buy out the previous owners. On ice success has been limited with the exception of reaching the Stanley Cup Final in 2006.

But, I'm in for a grand for now

See this is where everyone complicates matters.

A great idea that has been suggested several times on this board, and is usually ignored despite the fact we know all the powers that be read the board.

Anyway, any money invested / given should be done so on the premise that we have no say on how the money is spent except that is spent on a player/s. So the money given covers contract and fee if applicable. If you don't trust the managers ability to make a decision on player/s, don't bother giving.

Guest becauseofboxingday

There are two things that concern me about this.

Firstly - are we actually skint? Its occurred to me a few times recently that as far as I am aware, we spend circa 500k pa on servicing the debt and we do so with the blessing of the co-op bank. Now I realise that half a mil is a fair wedge of cash but, in footballing terms, is that actually a lot of money? Relatively speaking? Clearing the debt in its entirety would, and please correct me if I'm wrong, ultimately only see us 500k a year better off. Surely its the case that, actually, we are one of few clubs spending within our means. If that's the case then the only logical conclusion would be that we are spending badly.

My second issue is with the nature of a one off injection of cash in relation to financial commitment.

Basically, if as suggested, we raise 1m that is ringfenced as a player fund, we cannot then go out and buy a 1m player can we? You have to take into account the contract value and length, the issue of improved contracts elsewhere in the team, etc etc. It would be vital, in my opinion, that any money raised was integrated with the current financial structure but, ultimately, that means the only way such a scheme would be successful is if the donors were able to commit to an annual renewal of their donation in order to sustain the extra financial burden.

In short, if we build a decent team and spend the raised cash - but fail to achieve promotion - how do we then service the increased financial burden? Isn't that how we got here in the first place?

I'm starting to feel that a rich benefactor isn't healthy - but then ultimately unless there is a dramatic shift in the playing field or we unwisely attempt to roll the dice and take a gamble - we are simply destined to yo-yo around the lower tiers of english football.

We had our day in the sun and arguably, we are now back where we belong. If the cost of servicing the debt is so minimal then I can't see any other conclusion - we are either wasting money on poo poo or, basically, we are poo poo.

As I see it, the investment could work in a few ways:-

1. It finances quality loan players with no future financial burden. Not the preferred way as the club then has no asset to potentially sell for a profit in the future.

2. It is used for transfer fees of players who's wage demands fit in with our budget. i.e. at the moment we can afford the £7K a week wages for a player but only if they are a free agent. This way the manager could buy lets say 5 x £200,000 players who's wage demands were less or similar to the likes of the departing Simek, Jeffers, Esajas, Clark and Gray.

3. It is used for players over and above our budget and therefore the whole contract needs to be ring fenced. i.e. We get Kevin phillips on a 2 year £10,000 a week contract and the notional £1 million pays this. Or preferably (from my point of view), we get a few players with potential on much less money and hope that they develop like Whelan, Brunt, Bougherra, Kenwynne Jones, Lee Grant, Frank Simek (before the injury) etc

Edited by becauseofboxingday

While I applaud the sentiment I don't think I am prepared to give even more of my hard earned money to overpaid footballers to buy their new Merc/BMW etc. Then when we do get the premiership our new fat cat owners will reap the (financial) benefit.

I'll stick in a grand if it is repaid with a grandstand season ticket for three seasons when we get to the premiership.

AI would compile the list of 5 players to buy for the vote, all of whom he would want in his squad. Surely a player at around 500k mark would walk into our side. I don't see it being a major problem.

You've just highlighted the problem, you 'expect them to walk right into the side' what happens if thats not the case, as Brownlad says further up what would be the impact with in the squad the money would have to be spent with regards to the whole players contract as a one season injection would leave you short in years 2 and 3 when you look at it if a player is on 5k per week thats £780,000 over 3 years, you are not going to be getting a player of great quality as we have found out this season to our cost.

I just think we should leave all team matters to AI and all politics/investment to LS and support the team, i'm as frustrated as the next guy, but I am yet to see where any kind of scheme like this has been a success

While I applaud the sentiment I don't think I am prepared to give even more of my hard earned money to overpaid footballers to buy their new Merc/BMW etc. Then when we do get the premiership our new fat cat owners will reap the (financial) benefit.

I'll stick in a grand if it is repaid with a grandstand season ticket for three seasons when we get to the premiership.

Therein lies the beauty of it. Nobody is asking you to put anything in so you don't have to.