Sheffield Wednesday Fans Invest

Guest becauseofboxingday

Guest becauseofboxingday

I wouldn't want to create another Fans Group or put money into the existing one. The last thing we need is to risk any more political divides.

Neither would I want to put money into a black hole of debt.

However, if the club could create a fund that would be specifically ringfenced for player recruitment. AND if enough money could be raised so that it collectively made a difference. AND if I got the money back when Wednesday reached The Premier League, I would gladly give £1,000 to the club.

Could we raise £1,000,000 in this way? That seems achievable to me and would make a huge difference to our playing budget (especially in League 1 :dry: ).

A trust could be set up and you would effectively get 1 share in the trust for every £1 put in. The trust places a debenture over the club which is only redeemable upon reaching The Premier League. When we get to The Premier League we either get cash back or if the club preferred a voucher to that value that could be offset against future season tickets we purchased.

Heck, if enough people commit, I would give £5,000 through my company.

I know that many people are skint but there are also a lot of people with some spare cash, can't we club together? There are plenty of high profile Wednesday fans who have been happy to speak in the media, why not put your/our money where your mouth is?

p.s. If you can't/won't put any more money into this club, this is fine but there is no need to turn this thread into a negative slagathon of the club.

It would be great if this could happen. Logistically thought it would be a nightmare.

You own a business and could contribute a big chunk, but how many other Wednesday fans are business fans who would want to invest?

I personally love the idea of a self help situation.

The fans are this club and I've always felt we are the solution, recognising that not everyone has the resource to assist and that's fine. But for those who do, then this is great, but it needs to be fully committed to by the club, fully promoted and with clear rules and objectives.

Clearly we are skint but at the same time we are desperate for a catalyst. This might well be it and it doesn't mean the plc shareholders potentially facing a massive dilution which is almost inevitable with outside investors.

There are risks and downsides with anything - for example we might not raise enough, the money might be used unwisely etc etc - but unless you try then you never have a chance.

Great post by the original poster.

Guest becauseofboxingday

It would be great if this could happen. Logistically thought it would be a nightmare.

You own a business and could contribute a big chunk, but how many other Wednesday fans are business fans who would want to invest?

I know what you are saying and I have no idea how many fans could contribute. BUT we would only need 200 willing to commit £5,000, this might be possible, I don't know. There are also some extremely wealthy people who could contribute more without even noticing.

Guest Housey

You would not want to give the persons responsible for our massive debts anymore money to waste, neither would you want to give a manager like Irvine money for him to waste it on defenders.

I cannot believe that a fanbase of our size and a city the size of Sheffield could not make this work as long as the club went hell for leather in promoting it.

We did something on similar lines back in the 70's with 'Save Our Owls' and that was exactly the shot in the arm and catalyst which assisted the Big Jack era - the following 15-20 years then spoke for themselves.

I know the stakes are higher nowadays compared to then with money dominating everything, but we need an inspired signing or two to bring belief back to the boardroom, the manager and coaches, the playing squad and youngsters trying to break through. And most important of all, we need an inspired signing or two to end the desperation and frustration amongst the fans who've had to put up with excuses and dross for more than a decade now.

If you only do the same you cannot expect a different outcome - so something like this is well worth a shot in my opinion.

Guest becauseofboxingday

If this happens count me in.

This is obviously not a legal commitment but to give a rough idea can anybody state roughly what they would be willing to invest. If we get to say £100,000 it is probably worth looking at more formal dialogue with the club. That is £5K from me. How much are you in for GHS?

Also, is there any chance this could be pinned at the top for a few days just to see if there is any interest?

Edited by becauseofboxingday

It is a great idea in principle but I to think the operational side of a scheme like that could potentially be a nightmare.

If we had 20,000 people willing to part with money for a season ticket we would be fine....

Or all the wealthy could buy 20 season tickets each and raffle them off if it makes people feel better.

With the way Lee runs things we all have clarity on how many tickets are sold and what that means to the player budget.

Buying a season ticket or numerous tickets is the single best way to swell AI tranfer budget

I know what you are saying and I have no idea how many fans could contribute. BUT we would only need 200 willing to commit £5,000, this might be possible, I don't know. There are also some extremely wealthy people who could contribute more without even noticing.

If 200 did put in, then the 200 should have a vote from a list of players of who to buy. Like that non league club owned by various people and they vote on player sales/purchases, etc.

£500k on the player and the rest towards wages

Guest Housey

I cannot believe that a fanbase of our size and a city the size of Sheffield could not make this work as long as the club went hell for leather in promoting it.

We did something on similar lines back in the 70's with 'Save Our Owls' and that was exactly the shot in the arm and catalyst which assisted the Big Jack era - the following 15-20 years then spoke for themselves.

I know the stakes are higher nowadays compared to then with money dominating everything, but we need an inspired signing or two to bring belief back to the boardroom, the manager and coaches, the playing squad and youngsters trying to break through. And most important of all, we need an inspired signing or two to end the desperation and frustration amongst the fans who've had to put up with excuses and dross for more than a decade now.

If you only do the same you cannot expect a different outcome - so something like this is well worth a shot in my opinion.

Supporters won't buy season tickets in the numbers wanted by the club so what makes you think the same persons would want to put any kind of money into said fund.

We are told the the debt is not a problem due to small servicing cost of half a million so money must be there for players, these players have a lot to answer for this season because more was spent on the squad last season than in previous years.

Absolutely - the club needs a figurehead or two on the pitch. I know it's way above where we're at, but remember the impact Keegan had on Newcastle when he arrived as a player. I'm not saying we could sign someone of that quality, but I'm convinced a signing along the lines of Kevin Phillips would have made a difference this season.

This is obviously not a legal commitment but to give a rough idea can anybody state roughly what they would be willing to invest. If we get to say £100,000 it is probably worth looking at more formal dialogue with the club. That is £5K from me. How much are you in for GHS?

Also, is there any chance this could be pinned at the top for a few days just to see if there is any interest?

I'm in for defo 1k.

It could be more if this Volcano carries on as I will be stuck in Ghana, and I get paid a day rate. more time worked more money.

Oh the joy!! :angry:

I've pm'd you mate

There is interest mate

If 200 did put in, then the 200 should have a vote from a list of players of who to buy. Like that non league club owned by various people and they vote on player sales/purchases, etc.

Then what happens when the player doesn't get picked by the manager if they are out of form etc etc

Leave AI to look after the team we have enough mud slinging as it is nevermind tantrums from some fans if the player 'they' bought wasn't getting a game

ME!

I support entirely the people who are prepared to commit further money to the club in times of recession. You are outstanding fans. We have debated long and hard the downside of such a scheme in the past (I am of the view that it will cause more harm than do good) but for any fan to be prepared to commit such a large sum of money to the club is to be admired greatly, and I hope the club and the fans interested can work to a solution that will satisfy both parties.

Guest vaughns pork slapper

count me in £2500 sshhhhh dont let our lass find out....

Guest becauseofboxingday

Second time I've posted this today!.....Yes, it's a facebook group, but it's a good place to gather names (PS - JJ's in there!)

lets find 30,000 people who wil chuck a grand in and WE'LL take over SWFC

That would be brilliant, like Barcelona.

I think its probably more realistic to find a few hundred businesses / wealthy individuals to give the manager a fighting fund than to find 30,000 people who can afford £1,000.

Especially as the club could commit some sort of advertising to the businesses that committed to at least give some sort of marketing/recognition back.