Playing to Win

Guest Anglofile

Guest Anglofile

Great quote below:

There is a time to take counsel of your fears, and there is a time to never listen to any fear.

George S. Patton

Heard threads about quality of players but is it more a matter of looking like a deer caught in front of a cars headlights instead? Interested if you believe players will step up and play at or above their ability; whatever level that may be. My opinion is that the Owls are playing for pride on this one (personal and club) more than any other match this season. That's why I believe the Owls will win.

Joe

Great quote below:

There is a time to take counsel of your fears, and there is a time to never listen to any fear.

George S. Patton

Heard threads about quality of players but is it more a matter of looking like a deer caught in front of a cars headlights instead? Interested if you believe players will step up and play at or above their ability; whatever level that may be. My opinion is that the Owls are playing for pride on this one (personal and club) more than any other match this season. That's why I believe the Owls will win.

Joe

You still here?

Joe, on your last thread you said you hadn't spoken to the C9S guys for months.

Yet when we played Leicester at home 6 weeks back said you spkke to one of J's daily.

Why did the contat stop? When did it stop? Was it when deal died?

Can't believe our club is being taken for a ride like this - even allowing them on our website.

As for the question - we need to go for the jugular, get the fans involved, none of this two banks of four and hope Varney/JJ pull a rabbit out of the hat. Does Irvine 'get it?'

Does he have the charisma for such an occasion? Time will tell.

Edited by lincolnowl

Playing not to lose can be effective providing you actually don't lose...

We have nothing to fear from the next three games because, IMO, we're pretty much all but relegated. It could work in our favour as players play without pressure.

A lot will depend on the results on Saturday. If a gap opens up then it could hae an impact on our players.

Playing not to lose can be effective providing you actually don't lose...

We have nothing to fear from the next three games because, IMO, we're pretty much all but relegated. It could work in our favour as players play without pressure.

A lot will depend on the results on Saturday. If a gap opens up then it could hae an impact on our players.

Are you mad?

Do you honestly think that the players will be going into this game thinking that we are already down? Do you think AI will send them out saying "oh well lads, we're down, so you may aswell go out there and enjoy it"? If you think that you are either thick, or fishing (in other words; attention seeking).

There will be more pressure than any other game this season!

Can I ask you whether you are nervous?

Are you mad?

Do you honestly think that the players will be going into this game thinking that we are already down? Do you think AI will send them out saying "oh well lads, we're down, so you may aswell go out there and enjoy it"? If you think that you are either thick, or fishing (in other words; attention seeking).

There will be more pressure than any other game this season!

Can I ask you whether you are nervous?

What the **** is your problem?

Did I come on here insulting you? No. I put forward an opinion.

If you go around thinking everyone is thick because they have an opinion then you are a complete and utter tool.

Great quote below:

George S. Patton

Joe

Looking at the stats from the Bristol and Boro games I would not expect the style to change - chances were being created. More than ever, keeping good shape and good discipline are important.

If we didn't have chances in the last two games I'd advocate change, which is why we'll not see FJ9 start a game again.

We need JJ to be fit and not get sent off.

Edited by fife_owl

Looking at the stats from the Bristol and Boro games I would not expect the style to change - chances were being created. More than ever, keeping good shape and good discipline are important.

If we didn't have chances in the last two games I'd advocate change, which is why we'll not see FJ9 start a game again.

We need JJ to be fit and not get sent off.

That's what I was getting at. We had a weight of expectation in those games which would have resulted in a lot of pressure. I don't think many fans would expect us to get much out of the next 3 games, and I think that could work in our favour.

What the **** is your problem?

Did I come on here insulting you? No. I put forward an opinion.

If you go around thinking everyone is thick because they have an opinion then you are a complete and utter tool.

No offense meant, although it is a pretty damning response by me. Quick typing + not proof-reading = not putting my point across properly, and I apologise for that.

But your post is a ridiculous assumption that the pressure is off the players... in my opinion

No offense meant, although it is a pretty damning response by me. Quick typing + not proof-reading = not putting my point across properly, and I apologise for that.

But your post is a ridiculous assumption that the pressure is off the players... in my opinion

Apology accepted, and I apologise for my rather aggresive response.

My point is that we tend to have failed in games we expected to get something out of.

The next two games I doubt many fans expect us to get maximum points, and that reduced expectation could work in our favour as it reduces the pressure on the team.

Great quote below:

George S. Patton

Joe

Is that from the same book of quotes that Lee Strafford uses?

Apology accepted, and I apologise for my rather aggresive response.

My point is that we tend to have failed in games we expected to get something out of.

The next two games I doubt many fans expect us to get maximum points, and that reduced expectation could work in our favour as it reduces the pressure on the team.

I think that most wednesdayites think that we have a chance of getting something from all our games... certainly Palace, with the pigs being unpredictable, with the least hope lying with the Cardiff game.

Lets see how we handle the difference between "expecting" to win, and "needing" to win - its a massive mental change and one that will define our position

Guest Anglofile

Is that from the same book of quotes that Lee Strafford uses?

No, but I'm a big Patton fan and have read several biographies about him, Ike, Marshall (who lived his retirement here in Pinehurst) and MacArthur.

Clearly, Georgie was was the most colorful and best tactical field commander we had. A true leader of men.

Joe

Guest Anglofile

Forget the quotes :angry:

Actions speak louder than words...........................

We've needed action all season...........................IMO it's to late for words.

MS

Can't quite bring myself to say **** all. St. Jude, patron saint of lost causes and possibly Wednesday.

Best,

Joe :blush: