If circumstances were different.............

Guest ka58

Football is a different game these days - you can't rise through the league these days so where you are currently is more a status thing than a representation of how good you are. For example how many championshop sides could realistically say they could be anything like a force in the prem.

Local bragging rights count for a lot though.

So - if it wasn't for the fact that Donny and Barnsley and most importantly United were gonna be in the championship next season, would you prefer to see Wednesday challenging at the top end of L1 everyseason or finishing lower half championship every season.

Might sound obvious, but were talking maybe regularly home wins, play offs, some decent away wins etc.

I'm playing devils advocate - I don't know in my own mind really, I do know I'm sick of watching us being mediocre though.

We are traditionally a little higher than that-more bottom half division 1-top of division 2 ish. (In old money!)

Occasionally flirting with the top of the league and unfortunately the 3rd division.

Wouldn't mind returning to those days, although the advent of the 'Greed is Good-parachute payments-gimme your zillions so we can pay the players' Premier League has seen an end to those days.

Unfortunately.

Now tell me footies better now than 20 years ago...............

Its not. Its poo compared with 20 years ago. Its a load of sides struggling to make ends meet to keep up with 6 sides in the top league who couldn't give a monkeys about the rest. Gone are the days when you can do what we did and rebuild after a relegation and come back to challenge.

I love football but hate the way its become since the Premier League (and sky) arrived. A worthless league cup, devalued fa cup, devalued UEFA cup, extinct Cup Winners Cup, I'm ranting and its off topic but its sad to think that without someone coming with hundreds of millions of pounds we'll never see Wednesday challenge at the top.

Which is why I raised this question. Whats worse, being succesful in a lower league or doing nothing in the league were in? Apart from being lower than sides we've traditionally been better than.

Guest Acid Hoot

Football is a different game these days - you can't rise through the league these days so where you are currently is more a status thing than a representation of how good you are. For example how many championshop sides could realistically say they could be anything like a force in the prem.

So - if it wasn't for the fact that Donny and Barnsley and most importantly United were gonna be in the championship next season, would you prefer to see Wednesday challenging at the top end of L1 everyseason or finishing lower half championship every season.

Might sound obvious, but were talking maybe regularly home wins, play offs, some decent away wins etc.

I'm playing devils advocate - I don't know in my own mind really, I do know I'm sick of watching us being mediocre though.

This makes my bum laugh - we go down this time and it's years down the drain and who knows what else.

This makes my bum laugh - we go down this time and it's years down the drain and who knows what else.

Whats down the drain?

We where one of the main 'players' in the creation of the Premier league where we not? Sir Dave in his personal crusade of power; but we where not complaining about being elite. Did we care for the lower division clubs then? i think not!

Think as fans we became complacent expecting premier league football week in week out; some still to this day seem to think we have a divine right and in doing so dont bother supporting us when the chips are down and are happy to complain and *****. The atmosphere at Hillsborough is generally dire - do we expect to be 'entertained' with Waddle raiding down the right?

After that night game when Arsenal relegated us (we where 3-1 up and drew 3-3) sky sports after the game on camera asked me what the future was, in my naviety i said 'we will bounce straight back'.

How little I knew!

I find it very interesting, being both alarmed yet amused, at the number of supporters we have that see us challenging for promotion or the play offs next year (move aside sheffield wednesdays here)....mmmm with whats left of brian's lads after those with ability and age on their side have departed, those keen as mustard lion hearts who have so far this season worn our shirts with pride, passion, and distinction, whilst showing the ball control of maradonna will have their hands full keeping us outa the fourth....