Crystal Palace live on BBC?

Taken from BBC 606:

Thanks for your email, which Roger Mosey has forwarded to me.

For clarification, the BBC has the right to televise ten live Championship matches per season. These have to be picked about two months in advance, which has made picking them decidedly difficult.

We have tried to avoid covering the same teams too often, but naturally have tended to cover those sides going for promotion.

Here is the list of BBC live games to date :

( 1 ) West Bromwich Albion v Newcasle United

( 2 ) Ipswich Town v Newcastle United

( 3 ) Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

( 4 ) Cardiff City v Nottingham Forest

( 5 ) Newcastle United v Middlesbrough

( 6 ) Bristol City v West Bromwich Albion

( 7 ) Leicester City v Coventry City

( 8 ) Nottingham Forest v Cardiff CIty

( 9 ) West Bromwich Albion v Middlesbrough

On the last Sunday of the season, the BBC has first pick and can defer that selection until Tuesday, 27th April. At present Sheffield Wednesday v Crystal Palace is the most likely pick.

I was very tempted by the Sheffield derby this weekend, but it was difficult to schedule because of the need for an early kick off and the start of the World Snooker Championship this weekend.

I felt two months ago that this might be the weekend that West Brom went up. Sadly, Forest fell away and West Brom are already promoted. Fortunately, Boro can still secure a play off place.

You win some, you lose some...

In mitigation, I thought that Wednesday would keep going well under Alan Irvine and that Sheffield United would fall short in race for the play offs. I was right on one count !

All the best

Andrew Clement

Editor, Football

BBC TV Sport

I was very tempted by the Sheffield derby this weekend, but it was difficult to schedule because of the need for an early kick off and the start of the World Snooker Championship this weekend.

And there we have why the BBC are a bag of horseshit when it comes to covering football

And there we have why the BBC are a bag of horseshit when it comes to covering football

To be fair to the BBC, it would be virtually impossible to schedule the derby game on Sunday. They're already committed to the snooker, F1 and rugby league and only have the two main channels broadcasting on an afternoon.

They broadcast MotD, the Football League Show, 10 live Championship games, Late Kick-off, Five live commentary and radio coverage of virtually every team in the country - hardly horseshit.

A choice between the Snooker and one of the bigest and most important Sheffield derbies in years?

FFS BBC.

Although they've probably put at least 5k on our attendance by not choosing it so every cloud etc etc.

Yeah it's only the world championships.

Get a grip man.

Yeah it's only the world championships.

Get a grip man.

The first flipping round of it though, that's my qualm- it's not an exciting final is it...it's going to be someone good absolutely hammering some no-hoper and not losing a frame in doing so.

They only needed 2 hours to show the Steel City Derby- as has been said, just stick the snooker on the red button for a few hours and everyone is happy.

A choice between the Snooker and one of the bigest and most important Sheffield derbies in years?

FFS BBC.

Although they've probably put at least 5k on our attendance by not choosing it so every cloud etc etc.

This is only the thoughts of most Wednesday fans so there for the BBC doesnt take the same stance obviously as they will look at bigger picture. Although I think it could effect ticket sales if Palace match does get shown. If I wasnt a season ticket holder and didnt have alot of cash I would watch it on TV.

This is only the thoughts of most Wednesday fans so there for the BBC doesnt take the same stance obviously as they will look at bigger picture. Although I think it could effect ticket sales if Palace match does get shown. If I wasnt a season ticket holder and didnt have alot of cash I would watch it on TV.

Obviously football fans from Sheffield are bound to be biased, and i hold my hands up to that.

But this game would interest a lot of neutrals IMO- United with a chance to hammer another nail in our increasingly closing coffin, 2 pretty big clubs who it could be argued should both be in the Premiership based on stature etc etc

It's not just an end of season pre season friendly-esque kickabout- it's one of the most important games left this season in the Championship between two big clubs.

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

The first flipping round of it though, that's my qualm- it's not an exciting final is it...it's going to be someone good absolutely hammering some no-hoper and not losing a frame in doing so.

They only needed 2 hours to show the Steel City Derby- as has been said, just stick the snooker on the red button for a few hours and everyone is happy.

You'd be surprised how many tough matches there are in the first round.

Like I said, it's the world championship, it means more to everybody else outside of sheffield than our match against the pigs.

The BBC have been absolutely appalling in their choice of games this season.

How can teams like West Brom and Newcastle get three games each so far this season, and Nottingham Forest, Cardiff and Middlesbrough all get two each when sides like Sheffield United and Wednesday haven't even been on once?

Not a single game featuring a side from the four South Yorkshire clubs has been shown so far. That's pretty disgusting when the BBC's mandate doesn't require them to go chasing ratings figures like Sky and ITV have to.

Guest Aaron

I hope this doesn't affect the attendance that much. Any Sheff Wed supporter/fan who can afford to go to the discounted match, but decided to watch it on TV should be ashamed of themselves. I still predict a 35k attendance, maybe a lot less Palace fans coming down though!

To be fair to the BBC, it would be virtually impossible to schedule the derby game on Sunday. They're already committed to the snooker, F1 and rugby league and only have the two main channels broadcasting on an afternoon.

Last time I checked the Palace game is also on a Sunday