when does the Championship TV deal expire?

I guess that the current deal for the Championship rights excludes the option of pay per view-internet streaming of matches- why I don't understand - it could be a decent income for all involved. I would gladly pay to be able to watch games. A friend of mine can watch all NFL-games online (several options available - full season, only one club etc.) The lack of this option shows the shortsightedness of those involved in making these deals. I hope that the next deal includes this streaming option.

If your guess is that I'm pissed off by not being able to watch the derby on Sunday, you're absolutely right. If the option was there I would gladly pay 10-15 £ to watch the game online and my guess is that there are many like me. Make it happen, somebody!

Sure it will happen at some point - you can't hold back the tide etc.

But I guess at the moment there are too many parties who would vote against it (TV stations and smaller clubs being the main culprits). Imagine if it had been an option this year? The majority of Championship games, watched either online or on TV, would have been Newcastle games. (More fans = more viewers). Also, if all those geordies are paying to watch games on the internet, no TV company would want to pay very much for basic TV rights.

So TV revenue would fall and naturally, Newcastle would expect the vast majority of the internet subscription revenue. It would be very hard to justify giving clubs like Sflaphorpe, Doncaster, Blackpool etc anything like the revenue they'd get from a collective TV deal.

It works for the NFL, as the teams are all franchises of the league - so it's relatively easy to force revenue sharing on the owners. It happens across the board, from merchandising to sponsorships, to TV and internet money. Dallas and Washington may generate the most cash, but lowly Jacksonville still does quite nicely from the sharing.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

The Football League renew tv deals, if we were to opt out of any such future deal im not sure what the consequences would be, we'd certainly lose out on ALOT of revenue that we'd have to generate ourselves.

Infact as members of the League i doubt we would even be able to opt out without losing league status itself???.....

As for comparison to the NFL, dont forget tv deals for us are different to the actual deals in America where fans are still forced to go to home games to watch their own team (its only televised in the event of a sell out)

But I guess at the moment there are too many parties who would vote against it (TV stations and smaller clubs being the main culprits). Imagine if it had been an option this year? The majority of Championship games, watched either online or on TV, would have been Newcastle games. (More fans = more viewers). Also, if all those geordies are paying to watch games on the internet, no TV company would want to pay very much for basic TV rights.

So TV revenue would fall and naturally, Newcastle would expect the vast majority of the internet subscription revenue. It would be very hard to justify giving clubs like Sflaphorpe, Doncaster, Blackpool etc anything like the revenue they'd get from a collective TV deal.

It works for the NFL, as the teams are all franchises of the league - so it's relatively easy to force revenue sharing on the owners. It happens across the board, from merchandising to sponsorships, to TV and internet money. Dallas and Washington may generate the most cash, but lowly Jacksonville still does quite nicely from the sharing.

I understand the difference in ownership re NFL and thus their special circumstances. But even as it is now Newcastle has had the most games televised and the most viewers (thus getting a bigger slize of the cake (I would assume) - the smaller clubs lose out either way. Football being a social sport I and I would expect most people to prefer watching games at pubs and not at home - thus the TV companies will still have an income stream. But at the moment so few Championship games are televised that I thought that the viewing figures would drop significantly in the short term. I never watch other Championship games than Wednesday's anyway.

I guess that the current deal for the Championship rights excludes the option of pay per view-internet streaming of matches- why I don't understand - it could be a decent income for all involved. I would gladly pay to be able to watch games. A friend of mine can watch all NFL-games online (several options available - full season, only one club etc.) The lack of this option shows the shortsightedness of those involved in making these deals. I hope that the next deal includes this streaming option.

If your guess is that I'm pissed off by not being able to watch the derby on Sunday, you're absolutely right. If the option was there I would gladly pay 10-15 £ to watch the game online and my guess is that there are many like me. Make it happen, somebody!

You can watch all NFL, MLB games online, only if you dont live anywhere near where the games are being played, [several hundred miles]

For example, nobody can watch the Toronto Blue jays live, online, anywhere in the whole of Canada. The games are only available "as live" with a time delay after the game has finished.

All NFL games are blacked out to TV viewers locally, [virtually state-wide] in the same way, unless the game is a sellout.

I understand the difference in ownership re NFL and thus their special circumstances. But even as it is now Newcastle has had the most games televised and the most viewers (thus getting a bigger slize of the cake (I would assume) - the smaller clubs lose out either way. Football being a social sport I and I would expect most people to prefer watching games at pubs and not at home - thus the TV companies will still have an income stream. But at the moment so few Championship games are televised that I thought that the viewing figures would drop significantly in the short term. I never watch other Championship games than Wednesday's anyway.

You'll never get tv (or internet deals) anytime soon that allow you to watch Home Games at a price (other than normal televised games whereby the club is compensated) because its lost revenue for the club (gate money). Thats why blackouts exist, not just in football, but in other sports (NFL being a good example) around the world.

The rest of the world can watch Premiership or Championship games at 3pm just like we can watch Serie A games at 2pm on a Sunday (but Italians cant)

I dont see that changing in subsequent tv deals for the forseeable future.

The Football League renew tv deals, if we were to opt out of any such future deal im not sure what the consequences would be, we'd certainly lose out on ALOT of revenue that we'd have to generate ourselves.

Infact as members of the League i doubt we would even be able to opt out without losing league status itself???.....

As for comparison to the NFL, dont forget tv deals for us are different to the actual deals in America where fans are still forced to go to home games to watch their own team (its only televised in the event of a sell out)

I don't advocate that we break away and try doing it ourself but it must be something they must factor in in the future - and I'm not talking about local fans (they should go to game - why would anyone want to watch on computer or TV when the real deal is down the road) but someone like me (in Denmark) would love the option of being able to watch all games - as it is now with Wednesday Player we already have something like I'm advocating albeit on a much smaller scale.

I don't advocate that we break away and try doing it ourself but it must be something they must factor in in the future - and I'm not talking about local fans (they should go to game - why would anyone want to watch on computer or TV when the real deal is down the road) but someone like me (in Denmark) would love the option of being able to watch all games - as it is now with Wednesday Player we already have something like I'm advocating albeit on a much smaller scale.

Yeah i agree for people abroad it could be an option in the future.

Thats how NFL Gamepass currently works (which i also use)

Ive watched all 16 of my teams games last season (cost me obviously!!) In actual fact ive had better coverage than someone who lives 2 miles from the Stadium who wont have seen a single home game (because all 8 sold out unless they went!!)

The NFL probably has the best model for this both internally in the States and Worldwide and its something both the Premier League and Football League need to look at for future deals....

*Although Gamepass itself still has retrictions whereby live games on Sky are blacked out for us because they have exclusive uk rights for that particualr game*

Edited by mark77

Yeah i agree for people abroad it could be an option in the future.

Thats how NFL Gamepass currently works (which i also use)

Ive watched all 16 of my teams games last season (cost me obviously!!) In actual fact ive had better coverage than someone who lives 2 miles from the Stadium who wont have seen a single home game (because all 8 sold out unless they went!!)

The NFL probably has the best model for this both internally in the States and Worldwide and its something both the Premier League and Football League need to look at for future deals....

*Although Gamepass itself still has retrictions whereby live games on Sky are blacked out for us because they have exclusive uk rights for that particualr game*

That sounds like the way to go - I could easily live with the black out as long as I was given an option to see the game elseway.

Streaming CCC games is a non starter for one reason - all the games with 1 or 2 exceptions are only covered with one camera, there's no replays or close ups. People would not pay for such basic coverage and no commentary either.

The prem is a different matter. ALL games are covered with at least 8 cameras, full coverage with replays close ups and commentary. The problem is once those pictures start getting sent via Satellite then the chance is there for people to obtain the pictures FOC.

Streaming CCC games is a non starter for one reason - all the games with 1 or 2 exceptions are only covered with one camera, there's no replays or close ups. People would not pay for such basic coverage and no commentary either.

The prem is a different matter. ALL games are covered with at least 8 cameras, full coverage with replays close ups and commentary. The problem is once those pictures start getting sent via Satellite then the chance is there for people to obtain the pictures FOC.

I would pay for a basic one camera view, the commentary would have to come via Radio Sheffield like 'Player' radio commentary comes now.

the one Camera view that you get for the highlights at S6 is fine. After all its a side view just like if you were in the South Stand.

The exiled/cant go /does not want to go to football market is enormous and surely this is only a matter of time. This nearly live stuff is crap weare now accustomed to live football on TV nothing else will make me subscribe.

I suppose it depends on your pricing target.

Prehaps over seas owls would GLADLY pay £10 a match to watch streaming with one camera.

Its far cheaper than attending a game, and you could possibly make money with this model ?

One SWFC grandstand & Cameraman. Cost £200-500 for the match ?

Based on the viewers for the live broadcast S6 events - say 500 people at £10 a match = £5K revenue.

less cost of £500 quid for streaming the match.

£4.5K profit over 90 minutes.

Based on overseas IP restrictions model.

I would also opt out of the PTV deal personally and setup a SWFC Itunes video channel, so instead of uploading everything to the PTV site, everything is uploaded to itunes and anone can watch the videos for £1 or something similar.

I'd also stick full matches on there for the same price as dvd, post game.

Thus you use the camera man you paid £500 to stream the game live to gain even more revenue, buy uploading the footage produced, post game straight to iTunes, so anyone can download and watch the match in FULL, rather than just hightlights.

1000 overseas fans at £10 for a download or less means your profit from employing a cameraman at £500 for a couple of hours could reach £9.5k. With live streaming and downloads.

Prehaps over seas owls would GLADLY pay £10 a match to watch streaming with one camera.

Its far cheaper than attending a game, and you could possibly make money with this model ?

Well the cameraman is already there - so no cost involved.

Also most games an uplink truck is there too for Sky Sports, so the infastructure is there already.

I guess the problem is the TV rights to actually do it.

btw

Shows how far we've dropped, most games now - even the live ones - they don't have a Sat Truck it's all done daan fibre init!!

Based on the viewers for the live broadcast S6 events - say 500 people at £10 a match = £5K revenue.

less cost of £500 quid for streaming the match.

£4.5K profit over 90 minutes.

Based on overseas IP restrictions model.

I would also opt out of the PTV deal personally and setup a SWFC Itunes video channel, so instead of uploading everything to the PTV site, everything is uploaded to itunes and anone can watch the videos for £1 or something similar.

I'd also stick full matches on there for the same price as dvd, post game.

Thus you use the camera man you paid £500 to stream the game live to gain even more revenue, buy uploading the footage produced, post game straight to iTunes, so anyone can download and watch the match in FULL, rather than just hightlights.

1000 overseas fans at £10 for a download or less means your profit from employing a cameraman at £500 for a couple of hours could reach £9.5k. With live streaming and downloads.

I'd pay every week.