Sign in to follow this  
i used to be sc_owl

Playing budget next season

So we have a fair few players out of contract. Say we end up with a similar budget to this season of around £6.5M (I think?) would it be worth forking out £2M to bring in a couple of proven goalscorers from the lower leagues? And having less money available for wages?

I think it would be personally. I'd look to offload Tudders in the summer also, which should free up some cash.

£4M would still pay a squad of 20 players about £3,800 p/w....

A lot will depend on which division we are playing in!

We would not attract much quality in league 1

We need proven strikers with solid records.

But I'd hope we could avoid large transfer fees because my view is that the sort of players who will command higher wages will be better long term investments.

A lot will depend on which division we are playing in!

We would not attract much quality in league 1

Southampton splashed out £1M on Lambert I think? And if they hadn't had that points deduction they would be up there...

Also, the average arm chair fan who just reads the star might get a bit more excited to see us splashing out a bit of cash.

For me a good couple of loan players for the season could make a massive difference.

For me a good couple of loan players for the season could make a massive difference.

To be fair this is the only thing we've never tried since everyone else started doing it.

It might work....

how about 17 loan players? made a massive difference for the pigs? :rolleyes:

i get what you're saying, but loan players still leave at the end of the season. it doesn't help build the squad, add to permanent quality, or increase other player's interest in joining us. nothing but stop-gaps.

i think we've found this season what a gamble the loan market can be. one, maybe two quality players if we can get them - fine. anything above that and it wrecks whatever little "team spirit" we currently have.

Spending money on a couple of decent goalscorers would be worth it IMO, regardless of what division we are in. We've scoured the freebies for long enough and it's not got us anywhere. I'd be perfectly happy to see the club reduce the overall wage budget and take a punt on a couple of decent strikers.

Spending money on a couple of decent goalscorers would be worth it IMO, regardless of what division we are in. We've scoured the freebies for long enough and it's not got us anywhere. I'd be perfectly happy to see the club reduce the overall wage budget and take a punt on a couple of decent strikers.

Yeah look at Huddersfield picking up Jordan Rhodes from Ipswich undisclosed fee (can't imagine that would be much) just shows you if you look around what you can pick up.

Could anyone who has time please complete my survey. It'd really help me with course work and I'd really appreciate it if you'd complete it.

Thanks,

LukeTheOwl.

Survey.

• Disagree 1

Could anyone who has time please complete my survey. It'd really help me with course work and I'd really appreciate it if you'd complete it.

Thanks,

LukeTheOwl.

Survey.

Stop spamming. Make a topic about it.

Stop spamming. Make a topic about it.

Already have done.

Have you taken the survey yet?

I think we are screwed either way. Transfer and wage budget set by ST sales. were only at 50% of that target!

if we are in the Championship - relegation battle again

if we are in League One - Our Budget still probably wont be a promotion budget like Southampton/Leeds/Nots County?

I think that we can build a good young squad that should get us promoted and develop along the way.

If we get relegated, it will be the right time to build ourselves new squad right from the start.

Goalscorers aren't cheap though - and if they're from the lower leagues then they're a gamble as well

Lambert is doing well but it's still in league 1 - not saying he can't make the step-up but it's by no means certain.

Not withstanding the emiotnal baggage around Lee Hughes i thought he would have been a decent - and relatively cheap - signing

How many are there out there though?

If we are in L1 id try and sign Ruben Reid as he does well at lower level and cant see West Brom wanting to keep him! Also Varney did well in League 1 with Crewe. Might get him cheap!

Goalscorers aren't cheap though - and if they're from the lower leagues then they're a gamble as well

Lambert is doing well but it's still in league 1 - not saying he can't make the step-up but it's by no means certain.

Not withstanding the emiotnal baggage around Lee Hughes i thought he would have been a decent - and relatively cheap - signing

How many are there out there though?

We might have to splash out a fair bit of cash (in relative terms) to get a goalscorer, but can we afford not to?

Guest aphextwins

Which ever league we end up in next season we have to sign a Striker.

We haven't had a regular goal scorer since Macca really.