Alan Irvine

Guest Sheff Owl

Motivation?

Tactical nounce?

Stamping his own mark on the squad?

The side he picks, the formation and style of play is a Laws carbon copy - its a con.

You can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

I think we've seen enough from AI to show that he is far more tactically astute that BL ever was.

It is difficult for AI to stamp his mark on the squad when he had no money to spend.

Also, I would argue that we've seen more systems under AI employed than we ever did under BL.

Shreeves, Yorath and Laws took over worse teams in worse form that this one and kept them up. As a bonus Taffy took us to a cup semi and Laws got us in the top 10.

Only Turner has taken us down - if we go down this season Irvine goes into the same bracket.

Guest totemowl

Motivation?

Tactical nounce?

Stamping his own mark on the squad?

The side he picks, the formation and style of play is a Laws carbon copy - its a con.

Where's the two wingers?

Where's the total detachment from defence to midfield, and midfield to attack?

(Granted, the latter does keep resurfacing big time, but Irvine has got them playing a lot more like a team).

Guest Sheff Owl

I think we've seen enough from AI to show that he is far more tactically astute that BL ever was.

It is difficult for AI to stamp his mark on the squad when he had no money to spend.

Also, I would argue that we've seen more systems under AI employed than we ever did under BL.

:laugh:

That is so true, Brian ONLY knew 4-4-2.

"You, you're not doing good enough you're dropped - more effort in training please"

"You, you're fit and we need something different - have a good game and the place is yours"

"You, you're not doing good enough you're dropped - more effort in training please"

"You, you're fit and we need something different - have a good game and the place is yours"

AI sees more of the squad than we do - by a long shot. AI doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke who takes bullshit. If he doesn't think changing X for Y is worth it, then I trust his judgement.

This summer, regardless of which league we are in, is where we will really see AI's ability to mould this squad into what he feels we need.

Bloody hell AB, have you ever thought about going into football management?

Guest Sheff Owl

AI sees more of the squad than we do - by a long shot. AI doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke who takes bullshit. If he doesn't think changing X for Y is worth it, then I trust his judgement.

This summer, regardless of which league we are in, is where we will really see AI's ability to mould this squad into what he feels we need.

And there is my worry, if he decides that most of this squad a worth keeping/renewing contracts etc

:laugh:

I think people have already forgot just how awful we were towards the end of Laws' reign. The task of transforming this team's results into play-off form just to keep us up was HUGE.

How on earth did anyone expect AI to easily turn things around working with this sorry bunch and with no money to bring in replacements??

The task of keeping us up has been hugely over stated - hugely

And what play-off form have we been in?

Guest totemowl

Shreeves, Yorath and Laws took over worse teams in worse form that this one and kept them up. As a bonus Taffy took us to a cup semi and Laws got us in the top 10.

Only Turner has taken us down - if we go down this season Irvine goes into the same bracket.

No. The team were in worse form when Irvine arrived than when Laws arrived.

The problem i'm seeing is that the same people are giving the same poo poo performences that they gave under Laws and he never dropped them, so now under AI it's the same, yes he can't make wholesale changes but CHANGE BLOODY SOMETHING!!

A lot of players are in comfort zones and it's wrong.

You've lost me AB... You've lost me...

Thats because I've just opened the red wine.

I like that Al is at Hillsborough but its obvious Bri was out of his depth.

Maybe one day we will get back to the days of Big Ronny but the quicker we forget the days Dan, Pete, Tel and Turns the better.