Alan Irvine

Guest Sheff Owl

The players we have are nothing to do with AI, it's not his fault.

Now when it comes to either 'going for it' or being negative then you have to look to AI and say did we do enough?

That is a huge worry are we doing enough, i'm not sure, could we do more?

Is AI the right man, so far he has done well, when he first took over, he had sorted the defence and got us some wins, if he had been 5 games earlier then you could say could we have been safe now? who know's.

Now i guess next season will be the true test for AI, get his own players in, flip some of these off and start from scratch, rebuild.

Yep, agree with that.

Drop them for who though? The bench just isn't good enough. And I do think he's done a good job with the hand he was dealt.

If we stop up he'll have done a great job.

This isn't an attack on Irvine and I am 'content' that he is our manager. Its clear we are in a sorry state.

If he keeps us up then yes he will have done a good job.

But I refuse to allow the mindset that he is faultless if we go down. We have had more than enough games to turn things round and if we do go down I can't see how Irvine can say he has tried everything at his disposal.

Guest Sheff Owl

Drop them for who though? The bench just isn't good enough. And I do think he's done a good job with the hand he was dealt.

That's the thing some of the players are in a comfort zone, its shocking, every week they play no matter what performence they give.

Yes the bench might be poor BUT how do you know how these players will react if given a chance they have not played for a couple of months or so, maybe they will surprise us, but like i said before if you don't try you won't know, it can't be worse that what we have currently playing.

The thing is if these players had a chance and blew it fair play no problem, but they haven't, we have to do something, it's like we are going down without a fight.

We need to try something, something different, what we are doing at the moment is not working, ovbviously we are losing, not scoring.

That's the thing some of the players are in a comfort zone, its shocking, every week they play no matter what performence they give.

Yes the bench might be poor BUT how do you know how these players will react if given a chance they have not played for a couple of months or so, maybe they will surprise us, but like i said before if you don't try you won't know, it can't be worse that what we have currently playing.

The thing is if these players had a chance and blew it fair play no problem, but they haven't, we have to do something, it's like we are going down without a fight.

We need to try something, something different, what we are doing at the moment is not working, ovbviously we are losing, not scoring.

I understand your point of view but we'll have to differ on what changes would have been for the best. Think he will start with JJ and EE next week though. :biggrin:

He clearly isn't doing a good job.

Uninspired selections, late substitutions, won't drop players, negative play...

Have a look on the Middlesborough v Sheffield Wednesday thread where I replied to darra about how we should have treated the manager situation after Laws had gone.

Sadly, it seems to take too long for this penny to drop at Hillsborough.

Pleat, Wilson, Turner, Laws - all given another game to turn it round, and then another...and another.

The only manager who's dismissal has been seen as premature in recent times was Sturrock.

I'm not saying sack Irvine, but just because he makes the right noises and LS makes gives him a glowing recommendation doesn't mean he's blameless if we don't stay up. Whether we go down or not, if, by Christmas we are below par again questions shoud be asked - but giving AI a long contract coupled with our financial predicament has scuppered that, so we better hope he is the man.

It was only the start of the season when most people were saying this was our strongest squad for years. The majority of this squad produced good football and good runs of results at times under Laws. Infact, they've already produced a decent spell under Irvine.

Irvine's brief was to keep us up. If he doesn't he's failed.

Lee Straffords tasks so far have included finding investment, increasing season ticket sales and finding a manager to keep us up.

Alan Irvine may be doing lots of good stuff. Lee Strafford has done lots of good stuff, but you can't escape the facts, and you can't move the goalposts for Managers and Chairman when they miss the goal. Managers are judged on getting teams promoted or keeping them up. Chairman are judged on finding the right manager. There are many other factors, but these are the key indicators - if we're still supporting a team and not a brand.

If you fail to deliver your target, questions have to be asked - if they're not then it could be classed as apathy, and nobody likes apathy.

I wasnt happy with his appointment and said so at the time..............................but i guess he will be ultimately judged when hes had time to build his own team..............................however im not at all confident , and it also looks like being in league one............................what a f@cking awful , awful season!

The alternatative appointment would have been?.

There could be some decent League One teams next season, it's gonna be really difficult.

Many of these players have been here for a couple of years or so and it's not like they don't know each, so there is no excuse really.

Yet we keep seeing the same poo from the same players, every week, how long can this carry on?

If we go down and keep many of them and come straight back up then we are gonna be in the same position with players that can't handle it, so we could have to rebuild again, for me i think this is a perfect time to get rid of many of them and get some hungry, young players in.

I'm sick of seeing the same players, giving the same poo . ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

?

The players we have are nothing to do with AI, it's not his fault.

Now when it comes to either 'going for it' or being negative then you have to look to AI and say did we do enough?

That is a huge worry are we doing enough, i'm not sure, could we do more?

Is AI the right man, so far he has done well, when he first took over, he had sorted the defence and got us some wins, if he had been 5 games earlier then you could say could we have been safe now? who know's.

Now i guess next season will be the true test for AI, get his own players in, flip some of these off and start from scratch, rebuild.

We are playing tight at the back, and hoping to probe in slightly more strength in the last 15 mins. The truth is we need to be tight at the back for 30 mins, and then look to push forward in stronger numbers, at the 60 minute point we need to adopt an all out attack style, 1-0 and 2-1 defeats will not keep us up.

Can you imagine what he thought the first twice he saw them on the training ground, i say twice as he wouldn't believe what he'd seen the first time.

Guest Sheff Owl

We are playing tight at the back, and hoping to probe in slightly more strength in the last 15 mins. The truth is we need to be tight at the back for 30 mins, and then look to push forward in stronger numbers, at the 60 minute point we need to adopt an all out attack style, 1-0 and 2-1 defeats will not keep us up.

We seem to worry more about the opposition than ourselfs.

Guest Sheff Owl

Can you imagine what he thought the first twice he saw them on the training ground, i say twice as he wouldn't believe what he'd seen the first time.

Think he phoned Brian Laws and said wtf have you bought here? Thanks!! :biggrin:

Edited by Sheff Owl

Pleat, Wilson, Turner, Laws - all given another game to turn it round, and then another...and another.

The only manager who's dismissal has been seen as premature in recent times was Sturrock.

I'm not saying sack Irvine, but just because he makes the right noises and LS makes gives him a glowing recommendation doesn't mean he's blameless if we don't stay up. Whether we go down or not, if, by Christmas we are below par again questions shoud be asked - but giving AI a long contract coupled with our financial predicament has scuppered that, so we better hope he is the man.

It was only the start of the season when most people were saying this was our strongest squad for years. The majority of this squad produced good football and good runs of results at times under Laws. Infact, they've already produced a decent spell under Irvine.

Lee Straffords tasks so far have included finding investment, increasing season ticket sales and finding a manager to keep us up.

Alan Irvine may be doing lots of good stuff. Lee Strafford has done lots of good stuff, but you can't escape the facts, and you can't move the goalposts for Managers and Chairman when they miss the goal. Managers are judged on getting teams promoted or keeping them up. Chairman are judged on finding the right manager. There are many other factors, but these are the key indicators - if we're still supporting a team and not a brand.

If you fail to deliver your target, questions have to be asked - if they're not then it could be classed as apathy, and nobody likes apathy.

Good points

AI doesn't like to take a risk ...

like a poster has said, he prefers to keep it settled and hope for a bit of luck

we had roger all to lose today after being 1-0 down. no way of scrapping back into the game so chuck 3 up front, and either work a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 system ...

hell tell the fullbacks to bomb on and overload the midfield, they would have crumbled

Guest Sheff Owl

AI doesn't like to take a risk ...

like a poster has said, he prefers to keep it settled and hope for a bit of luck

we had roger all to lose today after being 1-0 down. no way of scrapping back into the game so chuck 3 up front, and either work a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 system ...

hell tell the fullbacks to bomb on and overload the midfield, they would have crumbled

But now is the time you have to and that's what i thought we might have done by now, we are just changing like for like, i have said this for time now take off a flipping Defender and go for it, but yet with 3 games remaining now and looking in a right mess we still do the same thing's, something has to change.

I don't think we are doing enough to score a goal never mind win, we have to do more might as well lose 2-0 knowing that you have done everything possible, than go down thinking maybe we could have done this or that, too late then.

I would like to hear a response to all this from the club tbh.

The alternatative appointment would have been?.

As I've said in another post, without a shadow of a doubt - Warnock..

He would have come as well - if only to humiliate United, he was virtually applying for the job post the Palace cup win.

Prejudices from within the club and a section of supporters would never have allowed that appointment. Just like some didn't want big Ron back for the second time (again wrongly IMO).

Warnock's enthuisiasm, arrogance and aggression is infectious.

Big mistake by United IMO - Bigger mistake by us.

We wouldn't still be in this poo poo if he'd arrived post Christmas.

Guest Sheff Owl

As I've said in another post, without a shadow of a doubt - Warnock..

He would have come as well - if only to humiliate United, he was virtually applying for the job post the Palace cup win.

Prejudices from within the club and a section of supporters would never have allowed that appointment. Just like some didn't want big Ron back for the second time (again wrongly IMO).

Warnock's enthuisiasm, arrogance and aggression is infectious.

Big mistake by United IMO - Bigger mistake by us.

We wouldn't still be in this poo poo if he'd arrived post Christmas.

If Laws had gone after the 4-1 Vs Watford maybe we would be ok by now.

Huge mistake letting him carry on.