you think this is bad.......

Even the diversion of the FA Cup failed to offer any cheer, as a creditable performance away to First Division Chelsea saw the Owls take a two-goal lead only for Chelsea to net three in the last 15 minutes, including two from that quicksilver goal-poacher, Micky Droy.

...lol...we were fookin' poo ....

This season has been probably no worse than 2003-03 or 2003-04.

That team was bloody hopeless - i still to this day curse the name of Brian Barry-Murphy.

The problem this time is that a fair few of us didn't really see it (relegation) coming.

We had a decent last season, so naturally we expected to kick on.

Sadly things haven't worked out that way.

Edited by SiJ

Guest intercity0wl

Yeah that was pretty bad but if we are relegated now this will be much much worse. I.m sure we will struggle on but at some point it will end in administration and the loss of ten points.

This wont be half as bad as it was then, but in a strange way i enjoyed them days especcialy the away ones, and the Oxford game and poor crowd i remember like yesterday.

The problem this time is that a fair few of us didn't really see it (relegation) coming.

We had a decent last season, so naturally we expected to kick on.

Sadly things haven't worked out that way.

Did anybody see relegation as likely, even a couple of months into the season?

Worse times for me was the Turner era

Absolutely shocking appointment - but strangely embraced by some fans - but virtually every game was like another dagger - it was the death by a thousand cuts as we went from bad to worse to incompetent to comedic

It was the lowest point ever for me as an Owls fan - yes i was there the previous time we journeyed to division 3 - but going back there especially after the renaissance under Big Jack, Wilko and BFR was truly gut wrenching

What made it worse was i knew from the day he was appointed what was going to happen - it was like watching a film of your life and see you're going to crash your car round a bend - but not being able to do anything about it.

And we've never recovered

I think although we'd been off the boil already, the severity of the West Brom defeat at home was a big turning point.

It was such a beating and a sheer embarrassment and it just seemed to set off a new level of bad feeling around the whole place.

The reason I say it will be worse, is because we as a club are in complete disarray, huge debt, disinterested board, poor squad devoid of any morale whatsoever, unproductive youth set up and a dwindling fanbase.

On top of this we will be going into a league that is much tougher than it used to be, where probably 50% of the teams will have a better playing budget than us.

The first time I thought we looked like a really poor side was away at Watford (october time??) when we made them look like absolute world beaters. I'm not saying Watford didn't play well but the way they just went through us at will was worrying.

I thought we were likely to go down in the run up to xmas, the Swansea game being the one to tip it,

AI gave some hope and I still don't think we're dead yet but I always thought when people were talking about us having to win 11 of next 25 (or something like that), when we'd only won 4 all season up to that point that we were gonna be in the sh*t.

I remember it well and it IS worse now. And the football is no better.

WHY?

Because in 1974-75, the outcome was that we got relegated down to the third tier - FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. We eventually climbed back to the second tier in 1980 after 5 seasons down and got back to the top tier in 1984.

We were relegated down to the third tier for the second time in 2003 and were promoted in 2005. If we end up being relegated again to the third tier, then it will be twice in less than 10 years and the only time we have come back from the third tier and gone down again without getting back to the top tier.

That would be the lowest point the club has ever reached and I only wish the players were as concerned as most of us are.

WHY?

Because in 1974-75, the outcome was that we got relegated down to the third tier - FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. We eventually climbed back to the second tier in 1980 after 5 seasons down and got back to the top tier in 1984.

We were relegated down to the third tier for the second time in 2003 and were promoted in 2005. If we end up being relegated again to the third tier, then it will be twice in less than 10 years and the only time we have come back from the third tier and gone down again without getting back to the top tier.

That would be the lowest point the club has ever reached and I only wish the players were as concerned as most of us are.

i agree with these comments, it's worse now as we don't even appear strong enough to maintain a regular position in the second tier of english football, we look like yo yoing between the second and third tier

I remember it well, I was 11 years old in 1974, they were my formative years as a Wednesday fan.

It felt worse then, don't know why.

It took a proper manager to turn it round then, J.C.

A.I. feels like the first proper manager we've had in years so hopefully if we can stay up this year it may be a turning point <hopes>.

Guest chezzyowl

I was 14 and it didn't feel as bad as it does now for me.

The 7000 crowds, the echoed shouting by players, the seat cushions been thrown onto the pitch at the end of the game or even sometimes during it!!

Edited by chezzyowl

Guest Deleted member

Quicksilver goal poacher???????

Mickey Droy??????????

He was a centre half that would make Herman Munster look good.

I think you may have forgotten to switch on your sarcasm monitor lol

Guest Briscoe Inferno

I was 14 and it didn't feel as bad as it does now for me.

The 7000 crowds, the echoed shouting by players, the seat cushions been thrown onto the pitch at the end of the game or even sometimes during it!!

Those were years that I remember but my first match was in 1970 - I didn't know any different......

Dropping down [again] does not worry me and in fact it's all very nostalgic - I have enjoyed my days out at the likes of Torquay and Mansfield equally as much as some of the top tier highlights. For some of those fans that missed out on the promotions I imagine it is devastating but close ranks and it can be brilliant if you want it to be........

We have the right manager and a forward thinking Chairman and CEO.

I have the same feeling that I had when we went down with Atkinson - blow the entire transfer budget on two decent strikers, keep three or four of the current first team including Purse if we can and make up the rest with hungry young'uns.....

See you at Yeovil..... :cool:

Going down this season would be far worse for me.

The 2003/04 season wasn't a nice experience, but at the time I was in my early 20's and was something new - Wednesday would dominate games and we would develop this winning mentality (how wrong was I!!). The second season in League One was awful, and after the 4-2 win against Hartlepool it really hit home just how much I don't want to go back to League One - ever.

Half a decade later, and the start of a season that promised so much - finally a chance to challenge at the right end of the table and for our highest league standing since the Premiership, where do we end? On the brink of League One football again. Pure misery, but I'm hanging on to the faint hope that we will survive the drop and never drop to the third tier of English football again in my life.

WHY?

In short, it means we are now a "yo-yo" club of a different kind. Between the 2nd and 3rd tiers, rather than the top 2 as we have been known in the past.

Rather than being a West Ham/Sunderland type club, are we more of a Preston/Burnley type now?

Depressing.