WHO'S TO BLAME?

Guest Paul Oxley

Anyone who has ever played organized football at any level knows that it is ultimately the players performance week in week out that matter more than anything else.

However it is up to the manager to select / recruit the players who will either get him a new contract or the sack.

So in Wednesdays case is the former Manager who is responsible for assembling the squad.

They did indeed get him the sack as a result of their performances and it is only when the current manager is allowed to recruit his own players that he can carry the can in any way.

In short Mr Laws is at fault but he’s gone so the sooner his recruits follow in his footsteps the better.

I thank you

1. The Players - Precious few of them seem to have a backbone..................and unfortunately the few that do have very limited ability.

2. Brian Laws - The majority of his signings (Hinds , Buxton , Clarke , Potter , etc) were awful..............as were the majority of his loan signings (the Feeney debacle was the last straw) continually picked under performing players , yet was obsessed with substituting JJ who despite his inadequacies was usually our best attacking threat , also handled messrs Wood and Beevers appalingly.

3. Lee Strafford - Nothing to do with investment as i genuinely believe hes doing his utmost to bring some in..................but he has dropped a few clangers......................................No.1 Leaving it too long to sack Laws..................No.2 His bolshy attack on stayaway fans after the Scunny game (left a very bad taste)........................No.3 The month of inactivity between Laws leaving and Irvine arriving...................I,m convinced that they were hoping McAuley would turn things around so no new appointment would be necessary , and only pounced for Irvine when it became apparent that McAuley was woefully out of his depth.

Fair play to Irvine he has improved results....................but i,ll stand by what i said when he was appointed that in the LONG TERM he wasnt the right choice.

I hope to God he proves me wrong but his Preston side were really dull to watch and if his choice of Soares as a loanee and his recent bigging up of Buxton are anything to go by then im not too hopeful about the quality of his future signings.

Finally , why is Sean McAuley held in such high regard...........................most of the GOOD young uns weve produced in recent years were Mark Smiths proteges...........................i,ve seen a fair bit of the academy side over recent years , the results have been pitiful and almost to a man all the promising players of a few years ago have gone backwards.