Just got back.....

Guest arobert

The result in my view diguises what could easily have been a heavy defeat yesterday at Loftus Road yesterday.

When 1-0 down we cleared two QPR efforts off the line and Priskin put a good chance just over the bar.

Not until the 60th minute did we manage an effort on goal - a tame O'Conor header.

But then JJ and Leon Clarke finally came on and the game changed.

JJ was able to run with the ball and Leon gave us a presence up front.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

Although I was getting pretty frustrated while listening to the first half and the start of the second half with the tactics and game plan ACTUALLY it worked just as AI planned and in fact if it was not for sloppy defending on their goal we could have won it.

JJ coming back was never going to play a full game (does he ever) and therefore to close them out in first 60 and then hit t hem with the speed of JJ and the presence(cough) of the big lad when they were tiring ended up with a pretty good outcome really and Buxton did a reasonable job on their "star" player, got skinned a couple of times but kept him reasonably quiet, so although it was frustrating it worked quite well in retrospect.

Well done AI you seem to have many many times more idea of how to hold our own tactically than BL (nice man) ever did.....

Just need to win on Monday now....

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

Guest Sheff Owl

I thought the 4-5-1 was spot on today, Irvine got it right IMO. We conceded a sloppy goal we should have cleared a lot sooner.

But the longer the game went on it was clear we weren't going to score with the defensive formation but Irvine didn't panic and left it late. If we had gone more attacking sooner then we may have conceded again when chasing the game. Have to say it was a very well worked goal.

Qpr looked good going forward yet dodgey at the back, and jj really changed the game, and leon did well too.

Thought Buxton did well considering he has been out so long and tarrabt is a fantastic player and joc worked his socks off, as did tudgay who was clearly frustrated at the lack of service and carney didn't help him at all today.

I've defended potter in the past but he was poor today, but on a narrow pitch he was never going to get time on the ball and was closed down at every opportunity. another good point away from home, need to win on Monday and I think we'll be fine.

Yep down the side of Spurr again, when is he ever gonna get closer to his man and try and stop the bloody cross in? He may not have been at fault for the goal but we concede most goals from down his side he has to start getting tighter.

Yep down the side of Spurr again, when is he ever gonna get closer to his man and try and stop the bloody cross in? He may not have been at fault for the goal but we concede most goals from down his side he has to start getting tighter.

It wasn't from a cross from spurrs side? They had a corner on the opposite side which o

Connor failed to clear at first and then they put a cross in to the far post which we only cleared to the edge of the area and we then failed to clear the ball again. Not sure how spurr was at fault, several players had a chance to clear the ball.

His cross for soares yesterday was superb.

BBC SPORT 'NEWS'

QPR 1 - 1 Sheff Wed

Tom Soares scored a crucial late equaliser to keep Sheffield Wednesday two points above the relegation zone and only three points behind the hosts.

Alejandro Faurlin scored his first goal for QPR to put them ahead with a half-volley from Damion Stewart's header.

On-loan striker Tamas Priskin almost doubled the lead but his shot was smartly saved by keeper Lee Grant.

Jermaine Johnson came off the bench to save the day for the Owls as he crossed for Soares to nod in at the far post.

Wednesday substitute Leon Clarke could even have stolen all three points in the dying seconds but could only shoot straight at keeper Carl Ikeme.

The draw left the Owls in 20th spot in the Championship with five games remaining, with Rangers in 18th with six matches still to play.

Nice one BBC.

After reading the reports and views on here, it is amazing how biased the BBC are as a journalistic entity.

Reading match reports on the Beeb and watching the football league last night, anyone would have thought they would have ripped us a new arsehole and should have won 6 or 7 one.

How geographical location can influence how good a team you are !!

After reading the reports and views on here, it is amazing how biased the BBC are as a journalistic entity.

Reading match reports on the Beeb and watching the football league last night, anyone would have thought they would have ripped us a new arsehole and should have won 6 or 7 one.

How geographical location can influence how good a team you are !!

I agree that the BBC is biased (NEWCASTLE ARE THE BEST TEAM/CLUB/FANS ON THE PLANET!!!!!!!!!). But if I'm remembering right, QPR had 14 total shots, we had 3. They had 8 on target, we had 1.

I agree that the BBC is biased (NEWCASTLE ARE THE BEST TEAM/CLUB/FANS ON THE PLANET!!!!!!!!!). But if I'm remembering right, QPR had 14 total shots, we had 3. They had 8 on target, we had 1.

Where do the "it wouldn't have been an injustice if we would have won" comments stem from then ?

Sounds like a one sided affair to me....

Where do the "it wouldn't have been an injustice if we would have won" comments stem from then ?

Sounds like a one sided affair to me....

we were rumbleing dreadful. Proper poo poo. poo poo, flat, uninspiring game.

And they were marginally less poo poo.

The most telling difference was the quality in their side. I was impressed by Ephraim, Taarabt and the goalscorer (can't remember his name)

Taarabt in particular had incredibly quick feet and looked very, very useful on the ball, Ephraim wanted it all the time and attacked our right side no end.

Saying that, we looked solid defensively. Purse was excellent again and Beevers won a lot in the air. Tommy was mediocre defensively but his distrbution - minus the cross for Soares - was appalling. he killed several of our attempted breaks.

The game turned on it's head when Johnson and Clarke came on and I can't help thinking that players like Johnson are ultimately the players we need to be looking at building a team around. Purely because there was just no magic there before his and Clarke's arrival. There was no spark, or creativity or anything that could give the team a lift and without them the game would have fizzled out in a boring 1-0 loss. I'm positive about that.

Johnson and Clarke came on and gave them no end of poo poo. Soares' goal came from Johnson drawing about half the team over to try and get the ball off him because he was running riot. As soon as he had a load of QPR players round him he just pinged the ball into Spurr's path who planted it straight on Soares' head who was barely marked as everyone was stood watching Johnson and scratching their balls.

The lack of quality in our team.... In terms of that little bit of class, that ability to make the right movements, or pick that perfect pass or execute a slick move... it's just non-existant.

Johnson isn't a great player but he has that spark and without him we would have lost and put ourselves in the poo poo yesterday.

The most telling difference was the quality in their side. I was impressed by Ephraim, Taarabt and the goalscorer (can't remember his name)

Taarabt in particular had incredibly quick feet and looked very, very useful on the ball, Ephraim wanted it all the time and attacked our right side no end.

Saying that, we looked solid defensively. Purse was excellent again and Beevers won a lot in the air. Tommy was mediocre defensively but his distrbution - minus the cross for Soares - was appalling. he killed several of our attempted breaks.

The game turned on it's head when Johnson and Clarke came on and I can't help thinking that players like Johnson are ultimately the players we need to be looking at building a team around. Purely because there was just no magic there before his and Clarke's arrival. There was no spark, or creativity or anything that could give the team a lift and without them the game would have fizzled out in a boring 1-0 loss. I'm positive about that.

Johnson and Clarke came on and gave them no end of poo poo. Soares' goal came from Johnson drawing about half the team over to try and get the ball off him because he was running riot. As soon as he had a load of QPR players round him he just pinged the ball into Spurr's path who planted it straight on Soares' head who was barely marked as everyone was stood watching Johnson and scratching their balls.

The lack of quality in our team.... In terms of that little bit of class, that ability to make the right movements, or pick that perfect pass or execute a slick move... it's just non-existant.

Johnson isn't a great player but he has that spark and without him we would have lost and put ourselves in the poo poo yesterday.

Cheers

Fab summary

Cheers

Fab summary

I say Johnson pinged the ball into Spurrs path... that's not quite accurate. If you watch the highlights Johnson dragged half their team across from the right side of the pitch... Spurr came on the overlap and he slipped it straight into his path and Soares attacked the hole at the far post which Johnson had created.

Really well worked goal but a classic example of that ability to execute a slick move.

Before Johnson and Clarke came on I really cannot explain how dire a game it was.

Although I would say it's strange that the BBC seem to think they dominated. It might just be me but I found it boring, not depressing because we were being hammered.

Aside from their goal which was a bit scrappy in truth, I never actually felt threatened by QPR. They were pretty average, aside from the players I mentioned above.

they didn't 'dominate' by any stretch. Deserved a win, perhaps, but only because we were so utterly gash.

It was nice to see JJ get his head up and pick out tommy on that particular occasion.

Mark Bright was slagging him for not doing it more often though....and for making poor choices in advanced positions.

If he makes ten bad choices and 1 good one leading to a goal though, he'll do for me.

If he makes ten bad choices and 1 good one leading to a goal though, he'll do for me.

to be fair the fact he was on the pitch for twenty minutes and in that time put us in with a shout of winning the game, he can make as many bad rumbleign choices as he likes! :biggrin:

the rest of the team had 70 minutes to make the right choices... failed specatcularly.

It was a strange one.... I never felt like we were going to get tonked, but never felt like we would score either. It was just rumbleing poo .

the rest of the team had 70 minutes to make the right choices... failed specatcularly.

I'm not sure they did fail though. I think that AI set the team up to contain QPR and limit them to little more than half chances. AI then knew that he had the players on the bench to change the game and get us back in it or complete the smash and grab (had we not gone behind).

A technical although unispiring game plan by AI that was well executed.

Edited by Sam779