Tommy Spurr & The Long Throw

Rory Delap was a schoolboy javelin champion. This season for Stoke, he has had 10 throw-in assists, 5 of them in the PL. Some good stats and analysis on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Delap.

The question is, would it be worth getting Tommy Spurr (or anyone else, for that matter) to learn the same javelin-throwing technique, if fast, low, long throws net as many goals as they do. For me, the answer's a clear yes.

10 more goals this season would have been handy...

Rory Delap was a schoolboy javelin champion. This season for Stoke, he has had 10 throw-in assists, 5 of them in the PL. Some good stats and analysis on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Delap.

The question is, would it be worth getting Tommy Spurr (or anyone else, for that matter) to learn the same javelin-throwing technique, if fast, low, long throws net as many goals as they do. For me, the answer's a clear yes.

I'd prefer him to learn football first.

Not sure it would be that easy to learn - it isnt Football Manager.

That lad from Peterborough (Exodus somethingorother) - now there wasa guy who could chuck a ball long!

Most players can throw a long ball.

Delap's throws however are low, fast and hold a consistant height right through the delivery.

He can also get wicked bend and dip on them.

Cricket throwing benefitted massively from adopting baseball pitching, and I reckon there's a lot in cross-disciplinary training.

I don't think it would be worth it to be honest. For all the hype that Stoke get, I would be interested to know what the stats are like for other teams scoring from throw ins in the last third?

And then you get the likes of West Ham placing additional advertising closer to the touchline to negate the impact of his run-up.

Guest bartos

Tommy ain't bad, has caused problems before and will again. He should take them from the right as well and Nolan should drop in at left back temporary as EN struggles with his and it's rare we get anyone showing or wanting the ball

Guest bartos

Tommy ain't bad, has caused problems before and will again. He should take them from the right as well and Nolan should drop in at left back temporary as EN struggles with his and it's rare we get anyone showing or wanting the ball

Guest Airborne