Post match discussion

I think I'm going to live a few years less for having sat through that match. Thoughts went from relegation, to potentially safe, back to relegated, then ending on potentially safe.

Summary for those that didn't go:

First half was awful, genuinely wretched. Really poor atmosphere because we were all pooing it. AI sorted them out at half time because we came out well, cracking goal from Nolan (skinned two of their players and then smashed it in at the near post), and looked like we could get another until we gave away a cheap free kick on the edge of the area which Cleverley floated into the top corner whilst looking like he was barely trying. Nervy from then on, plenty of mistakes. Then either Tudgay or Clarke (at the time I thought it was Tudgay but the SWFC fan page on facebook says Clarke) made a quality pass from one side of the pitch to the other, putting Varney clean through on goal. I think everyone in the ground stood up with their mouth hanging open hoping he wouldn't fluff it. He smashed it in off the near post and everyone went effing mental. Question for the trivia buffs, one that I don't know the answer to: Was that the first time we've got a late winner since the Lee header against Bristol down in League One? Can't remember any others but that's probably because I drink too much and I'm used to them happening against us.

The league table looks a lot sexier now, and matching Palace's results for the rest of the season will see us safe. Still worried about our shambolic goal difference though.

Guest carlg

I think I'm going to live a few years less for having sat through that match. Thoughts went from relegation, to potentially safe, back to relegated, then ending on potentially safe.

First half was awful, genuinely wretched. Really poor atmosphere because we were all pooing it. AI sorted them out at half time because we came out well, cracking goal from Nolan (skinned two of their players and then smashed it in at the near post), and looked like we could get another until we gave away a cheap free kick on the edge of the area which Cleverley floated into the top corner whilst looking like he was barely trying. Nervy from then on, plenty of mistakes. Then either Tudgay or Clarke (at the time I thought it was Tudgay but the SWFC fan page on facebook says Clarke) made a quality pass from one side of the pitch to the other, putting Varney clean through on goal. I think everyone in the ground stood up with their mouth hanging open hoping he wouldn't fluff it. He smashed it in off the near post and everyone went effing mental. Question for the trivia buffs, one that I don't know the answer to: Was that the first time we've got a late winner since the Lee header against Bristol down in League One? Can't remember any others but that's probably because I drink too much and I'm used to them happening against us.

The league table looks a lot sexier now, and matching Palace's results for the rest of the season will see us safe. Still worried about our shambolic goal difference though.

UTO. Too shattered to type much - God, we make hard work of it, don't we? Well done, Varney, Nolan, Purse. That was exhausting to watch.

Summed it up perfectly, I think both teams looked awful in the first half.

So glad we came out with a bit more purpose in the second half, managed to get a great goal by Nolan and then looked like we could get more, then they get a goal back and we go back to being scared to do anything again.

They looked more likely to ****** a winner and then Varney pops up and scores the winner for us.

I can't remember the last time we won a match so late on.

Was that the first time we've got a late winner since the Lee header against Bristol down in League One?

Brunt against Barnsley, or maybe Tudgay at Palace (although I think that might have been a few minutes from the end).

Question for the trivia buffs, one that I don't know the answer to: Was that the first time we've got a late winner since the Lee header against Bristol down in League One? Can't remember any others but that's probably because I drink too much and I'm used to them happening against us.

I was wondering about this on the way home, surely we must have had one in the Championship since promotion?

The last one I remember was James Quinn, away against Hull in the penultimate game of the season. It was the goal that secured our play-off place, so was certainly as important as Varney's goal tonight too.

Brunt against Barnsley, or maybe Tudgay at Palace (although I think that might have been a few minutes from the end).

Without checking, I'm going to say Richard "The traitor" Wood against Coventry not that long ago.

I remember that game cos JJ played right back and basically gave them a goal.

Will we ever learn that we are unlikely to score by continually putting square crosses into the box? I think we played our usuall crap standard last night, I mean what's the point in passing the ball to someone so that the receiver has to to take it on the chest or something? By the time the ball is under control a tackle will have come in and we will have usually lost the ball. Far too many times we tried to pass the ball too hard or not hard enough and didn't even look where we were licking it.

Without checking, I'm going to say Richard "The traitor" Wood against Coventry not that long ago.

I remember that game cos JJ played right back and basically gave them a goal.

Technically it was an equaliser to make it 1-1.

Felt like a winner though.

I've not seen as bad a first half for years if ever.It was diabolical.

We came out well after half time but then it was awful again as soon as they scored . Did very well to win it because we were shocking.

I know it's singling people out but Soares, Tudgay and Spurr were the worst offenders.

Spurr looked like the game was new to him, to say Tudgay looked half-arsed would be being kind,and I know Soares is playing out of position but he is just simply not good enough.

Varney was totally anonymous until thE first ten mins of second half. Having said that,he looked a threat from the wing at times and I think he should stay there until JJ is fit.

Guest carlg

Trying to remember the outcome of Crossley's last-minute goal - was it just an equalizer?

A good summary of the match. We may be 3 points nearer safety but the general performance by the team was very poor. Other than 25 minutes at the start of the 2nd half - when the team played football on the ground, and Clarke's pass and Varney's goal, we could have been a pub Sunday League side - bad passes, high balls to nobody, passing back when we had an advantage going forward. Tommy Spurr seems to be under instructions from AI not to go forward with the ball but to stay back - this has destroyed his natural game and sapped his confidence and he made a series of howlers which explains why Grant always hoofs it as far as he can rather than throw it out - the worst example when he passed it to Spurr from a goal kick.

We may just stay up but I have limited confidence that AI will transform the team into a proper footballing squad next season. The strange thing is that the players are capable of playing proper football - they did it in the early part of the season under Laws but failed to make it count. Three of my friends who are "occasional attenders" were there last night and, other than the result, I cannot think of a worse advert if we are trying to get people to buy season tickets for next year. Tell me I am being pessimistic please.

Edited by Andrew Robinson

I honestly thought we'd fooked it at half time. We just kind of stood round shaking our heads questioning why we bother and what went wrong. Then 2nd half we looked better and went 1 up. Went absolutely mad, falling over seats and everything. Retreated back into our shells when they scored, which was a shame cos if we'd have gone 2 up in that 10 minutes or so after that would have buried Watford. For some reason though towards the end I got a really good feeling we'd nick it. Sure enough we did. And if we went mad for the first the celebration for the 2nd was massive. I wish there was a photo of our group. 6 blokes all basically falling over each other and the seats with little me stood behind staying out of the crush, arms outstretched and screaming at the sky. Amazing the pent up tension thats released when that net ripples.

Did anyone notice whether many left early, ie before the goal. Must admit I was sat at front of Kop on left so thought I'd see more people leaving. Either I was engrossed in the match or people stayed behind in greater numbers.

My Thoughts:

Irvine got the team all wrong

Having Potter play is like playing with 10 men

The players aren't up for it - what a poor start and needed a bollocking at half time. More worrying than anything else

Purse was outstanding and led by example.

Guest owls_4_life

I honestly thought we'd fooked it at half time. We just kind of stood round shaking our heads questioning why we bother and what went wrong. Then 2nd half we looked better and went 1 up. Went absolutely mad, falling over seats and everything. Retreated back into our shells when they scored, which was a shame cos if we'd have gone 2 up in that 10 minutes or so after that would have buried Watford. For some reason though towards the end I got a really good feeling we'd nick it. Sure enough we did. And if we went mad for the first the celebration for the 2nd was massive. I wish there was a photo of our group. 6 blokes all basically falling over each other and the seats with little me stood behind staying out of the crush, arms outstretched and screaming at the sky. Amazing the pent up tension thats released when that net ripples.

Did anyone notice whether many left early, ie before the goal. Must admit I was sat at front of Kop on left so thought I'd see more people leaving. Either I was engrossed in the match or people stayed behind in greater numbers.

I noticed that not as many people were leaving as usual around the 80 minute mark, maybe people realised that the players seeing people leaving with still 10-15 to go doesn't exactly spark them with confidence!

Either that or people knew there wouldn't be much traffic because hardly anyone was there :ph34r:

Guest owls_4_life

My Thoughts:

Irvine got the team all wrong

Having Potter play is like playing with 10 men

The players aren't up for it - what a poor start and needed a bollocking at half time. More worrying than anything else

Purse was outstanding and led by example.

Did you see Purse almost square up to Spurr when Spurr backed out of the header in our box in the first half!