Today has changed my outlook

I think today has seriously changed my outlook on our chances of survival. Until today I had been strongly optimistic about retaining our championship status, whilst trying to negate any fears or pessimism people had.

But, after watching the total lack of flair, invention, width and creativity and failing to score against a very poor Derby team, at home, I just cannot see us picking up the wins we need.

We didn't trouble their keeper apart from the opening exchanges and flashes from Miller and Soares.

I just cannot see where the goals are coming from to keep us in this league. Tudgay is ineffective upfront and Clarke has reverted back to type today.

We badly lack JJ and are seriously over reliant on him to provide any sort of spark, or width.

I also have to have my first dig at Alan today. At home, in one of our most winnable games, a massive opportunity to get 3 points and he starts with 4 central midfielders.

We were so narrow it was hard to watch

Hard to break down yes.......... ever looked like scoring.............. no

I think we were too negative today

The next game is the biggest game of the season so far.

I have a very good feeling about the coming week, both on and off the field.

I do off the field. Things WILL happen this week.

But, on it, I cannot see how.

Unless JJ makes a swift recovery, I do not think Alan is the kind of man to take a little gamble and be adventurous at home to very poor sides.

Potter will continue to act like a crab and Tudgay will continue to run and throw his arms into strange positions when he gets near a defender

Guest NORTHWESTOWL

I think today has seriously changed my outlook on our chances of survival. Until today I had been strongly optimistic about retaining our championship status, whilst trying to negate any fears or pessimism people had.

But, after watching the total lack of flair, invention, width and creativity and failing to score against a very poor Derby team, at home, I just cannot see us picking up the wins we need.

We didn't trouble their keeper apart from the opening exchanges and flashes from Miller and Soares.

I just cannot see where the goals are coming from to keep us in this league. Tudgay is ineffective upfront and Clarke has reverted back to type today.

We badly lack JJ and are seriously over reliant on him to provide any sort of spark, or width.

I also have to have my first dig at Alan today. At home, in one of our most winnable games, a massive opportunity to get 3 points and he starts with 4 central midfielders.

Thought today showed all those excellent endeavours at Swansea and Preston were to no avail. If you cant win your home game against the team with the worst points tally in division.. it's going to be along grinding slow slog..

No flair today agreed but players have to be positive and create and chase everything. Do you imagine a team like Man Utd sitting back. Teams of that calibre always believe they can win. Today, with 5 mins left Lee Grant is holding the ball - thought today 's mentality was don't lose .. draws kill you off in this league.

Don't think its so much negative mate...we haven't got the options...theres a distinct lack of pace when JJ is missing, and there is sadly, no real quality in the side...

Spurr keeps bombing forward and gets crosses in that we don't win ...and then has to bomb back up the pitch to get into position, its a woeful state i'm afraid.

Believe!

I did today. But felt deflated and devoid of any confidence in our midfield and strike force

I for one hope I am wrong and hope we attack Watford from the off, with a little more width i.e. Gray on the left wing (wide), Miller on the right

Guest East_Dene_Owl

My outlook on our chances haven't changed because even when we were picking points up as soon has Irvine took over I could see we still wern't good enough to continue on the good run, more so as soon has we picked up a few injurys.

Its going to go right to the wire and the there's going to be many ups and downs before seasons done and dusted.

Bowel movements are going to be plenty for many of us when we do manage to get in front in games. :ph34r:

Don't think its so much negative mate...we haven't got the options...theres a distinct lack of pace when JJ is missing, and there is sadly, no real quality in the side...

Spurr keeps bombing forward and gets crosses in that we don't win ...and then has to bomb back up the pitch to get into position, its a woeful state i'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, there were definitely some positives from today.

* We controlled the match and never looked like getting beat

* We were very solid at the back and have found a very good centre back pairing

* We battled and worked very, very hard

* Eddie Nolan, Beevers and Purse

BUT...... without JJ, we have no outlet. The mindset today was not to lose. Keep it tight and try and nick it. But, this was one of the "5 wins" that we keep going on about.

We needed to be more adventurous. Maybe play 433, or have Gray wide left, or bring Esajas on wide left after 60-65 minutes, when we could see that the game was going to fall by the way side.

Draws kill you at this stage of the season

Tommys best game for a long long time today

Agree, he was very good today, although Mceverley (sp.) showed him how to cross a ball !!

I also don't think it's coincidence that Tommy has improved massively since Purse returned from injury.

Don't find your outlooks changing massively on almost a match-by-match basis?

I felt embarrassed walking out of the stadium at Reading. I feel bad admitting it, but I actually took my scarf off for the walk back to the station and zipped up my jacket; I was that ashamed of our performance.

And then coming home after Leicester just felt amazing. Wore it with pride and felt like we could take on the world.

To be honest, with the exception of 2006-7, every season since we got promoted has been a complete emotional rollercoaster, with massive nerves towards spring/summer. I think it's knocking years off my lifespan.

Don't find your outlooks changing massively on almost a match-by-match basis?

Got to say Glaser, I agree with your O/P 100%.

But that is what it is like supporting us. A mid-week win and it can all change.

It's like being on a bloomin see-saw. Ecstasy then depression!

Where my wife's PMT tablets. I'll need them for the rest of the season.

Keep the faith, thats all we can do.

UTO

Edited by ReadingOwl

we've been proper pants at times this season, so today's performance wasn't fantastic but it was almost acceptable

one goal and we would all be happy

if we go down then i feel it will be more to do with how lady luck rolls the dice

some will say you make your own luck but today we only needed one ball to roll our way and it could have been so so different

I dont think it will require 53 points as AI mentions, but obviously we will need to pick up at least three wins I think. Today couldve been different had Miller scored early doors but other than that it was totally uneventful. Workmanlike, all huff and puff but no flair or quality to unlock a team parking the bus withouth Jermaine Johnson. This lack of pace and width seriously needs to be addressed in the summer.

We can only look to the next game, but I just think we lack a spark at home, everythings dead...and the players go within their shells and it makes a poo poo match. Its happened pretty much every game at home since Swansea and Reading at home, we usually concede and then there is no pressing.

I remember the season we nearly went down under Laws and Palace beat us in the 92nd minute of a match we looked fairly comfortable in and we kept drawing other games. There was a feeling that we have had the opportunities to get well out of it but werent taking them. Were doing this again now and it will no doubt go down to the wire.

We keep saying "the next game is make or break" with them being at home, but were poo poo at home lol I wouldnt be suprised if we picked up a decent away win at some point.