Irvine's return to Preston

Just been looking at the Preston Site 'WHITES' and they are predicting a good reception for AI on his return tonight. However most of the reports moan that he was tactically crap and were pleased to see him go. They almost all concede though that he was a 'really nice bloke'. Typical Lancashire garbage. Come on Big Al stuff it up 'em !!

I thought we would sneak a point at West Brom, and win at Swansea. I think that Preston will be "up for it" against their old boss which will make it doubly difficult for us, therefore I don't expect us to get anything tonight, so we will probably win. :biggrin:

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I thought we would sneak a point at West Brom, and win at Swansea. I think that Preston will be "up for it" against their old boss which will make it doubly difficult for us, therefore I don't expect us to get anything tonight, so we will probably win. :biggrin:

That argument should be flipped on it's head. Our players should also be well up for this one if Irvine has done his job correctly.

Surely AI will have the players even more fired up than normal for this game, im sure he wont say this in public but i would imagine he would love to get one up on his old team for sacking him when he was doing a decent job.

I'm confident AI will know a way to play against his old team . A returning manager often has the upper hand as he knows better than any scouting report how best to play them. Even BL could come back here and shaft us with for example attacks down tommy's side and take long shots at grant

Surely AI will have the players even more fired up than normal for this game, im sure he wont say this in public but i would imagine he would love to get one up on his old team for sacking him when he was doing a decent job.

100% correct mate and he knows what theyre about.

If it was an old boss coming back here we'd all be writing us off before the kick off!

The players will know what it means to him. Whether they give a flip or not is a different matter though. Hopefully they respect him enough to try hard in every game. I'd like to see them really put a shift him for him tonight.

agreed whilst Preston are pretty good at home I always had this down as a possible result for us just because of the AI factor out of the 2 managers fergy will be the more anxious imo

I'm confident AI will know a way to play against his old team . A returning manager often has the upper hand as he knows better than any scouting report how best to play them. Even BL could come back here and shaft us with for example attacks down tommy's side and take long shots at grant

That's true, like when we played Sflaphorpe a few months after Laws had left them for us and they were subsequently promoted.

He knew how to play against his old team, resulting in us... erm... losing and drawing to them.

That's true, like when we played Sflaphorpe a few months after Laws had left them for us and they were subsequently promoted.

He knew how to play against his old team, resulting in us... erm... losing and drawing to them.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

*curses*

This would never happen. He's too much of a "nice guy" :biggrin:

:biggrin: :biggrin:

*curses*

:laugh:

its fine... exception to the rule! exception to the rule...

Saying that, I am a little worried about tonight to be honest. I know Irvine will be up for it... and hopefully by association, so will the team.... but this Wednesday side are harder to judge than my sunday league team. We can turn up all half pissed and play the oppo off the park, or we can turn up raring to go and seemingly up for it and be absolutely rumbleing dog. It's the same with Wednesday, you never have a rumbleing clue which team you are gonna get until you're halfway through the game.

What worries me is that Preston and Ferguson will know Irvine is coming with a point to prove... and personally I think Preston have got a little more quality than us and might just edge what will probably be a pretty close game.

To be honest - as long as we just don't lose - I'll be happy enough.

A win though, and we can really try and kick on. We are running out of time and games like this are the ones we need to be at least getting something from. Hopefully Irvine will set us up to frustrate them and try and catch them out. I would take a horrible anti-football kick and rush smash and grab 1-0 gladly.

(just had a good thrank there)

Edited by Brownlad

I would absolutely love to rob them like they did to us at Hillsborough.

No doubt.

That game was absolutely unbelievable - and I think, like a few people have said - it served as something of a tipping point for us.

You would really hope that not only will AI want to get this spot on - but the players will remember that game and the subsequent shocking spiral we went on (which undoubtedly wasn't purely as a result of that game - but still) and will be desperate to exact a bit of revenge.

Like I said though, I just don't see how anyone can predict which way this game will go.

At the risk of pulling out a Pleat / Brooking-esque comment, it quite literally could be anything from a chanceless, grinding 0-0 to a resounding loss, or an absolute tonking of them. I really can't guess how it's gonna go.

No doubt.

That game was absolutely unbelievable - and I think, like a few people have said - it served as something of a tipping point for us.

You would really hope that not only will AI want to get this spot on - but the players will remember that game and the subsequent shocking spiral we went on (which undoubtedly wasn't purely as a result of that game - but still) and will be desperate to exact a bit of revenge.

Like I said though, I just don't see how anyone can predict which way this game will go.

At the risk of pulling out a Pleat / Brooking-esque comment, it quite literally could be anything from a chanceless, grinding 0-0 to a resounding loss, or an absolute tonking of them. I really can't guess how it's gonna go.

I think JJ will be key tonight as always, if we havent got anything by the time he begins to tire then thats it! PNE have been a mix of good and atrocius under Ferguson so they too will be wondering which side turns out.

All I know is that against WBA and Swansea the pressure was off in a sense that if we did lose then it was understandable. Tonight is a different kettle of fish and Wednesday tend to let us down when we dare to be optimistic about beating anyone!

:laugh:

its fine... exception to the rule! exception to the rule...

Saying that, I am a little worried about tonight to be honest. I know Irvine will be up for it... and hopefully by association, so will the team.... but this Wednesday side are harder to judge than my sunday league team. We can turn up all half pissed and play the oppo off the park, or we can turn up raring to go and seemingly up for it and be absolutely rumbleing dog. It's the same with Wednesday, you never have a rumbleing clue which team you are gonna get until you're halfway through the game.

What worries me is that Preston and Ferguson will know Irvine is coming with a point to prove... and personally I think Preston have got a little more quality than us and might just edge what will probably be a pretty close game.

To be honest - as long as we just don't lose - I'll be happy enough.

A win though, and we can really try and kick on. We are running out of time and games like this are the ones we need to be at least getting something from. Hopefully Irvine will set us up to frustrate them and try and catch them out. I would take a horrible anti-football kick and rush smash and grab 1-0 gladly.

(just had a good thrank there)

solved it stop the barstewards drinking! :ph34r: our lot not yours :biggrin:

Good point about this fixture though it's hard to know which face of our team turns up- as always with the lilly livered section of our team it's down to the first goal: if we can nick it I can see us getting a result

Edited by steelowl