The Marcus Tudgay dilemma

Guest Manwithastick

Guest Manwithastick

Tudgay has scored in only 1 of his last 22 games. I know we are desperately short of options up front (and everywhere) but considering we need goals what does anyone else think about the best position for MT atm? I wonder if he might be better in a withdrawn rhs midfield role with JJ playing in a

primarily advanced position alongside Clarke?

Tudgay has scored in only 1 of his last 22 games. I know we are desperately short of options up front (and everywhere) but considering we need goals what does anyone else think about the best position for MT atm? I wonder if he might be better in a withdrawn rhs midfield role with JJ playing in a

Oh god, not another thread

Tudgay has scored in only 2 of his last 22 games. I know we are desperately short of options up front (and everywhere) but considering we need goals what does anyone else think about the best position for MT atm? I wonder if he might be better in a withdrawn rhs midfield role with JJ playing in a

Guest Deleted member

Oh god, not another thread

Ive generally given you the benefit of doubt when others have been criticising - but you really are a nob arent you

Tudgay and Miller in wide midfield will give us lots of creativity AND workrate for the run in. Tudgay is just as much a threat from midfield as he is up front. JJ with free role looking for the slowest defender to play off. JJ does get doubled up on. He would wreak havoc with any opposition defensive plans if he were allowed to roam when we had the ball. Are we Holand circa '78 in disguise!

Guest wednesday83

The only dilema is what seat on the bench Tudgay sits on. As for playing him in midfield - lacks pace, cannott cross and cannott turn a man. Leave him on the bench for a few games and then see if hes up for it. Canott believe our chairman turned down hard earned cash for him lol.

I think its worth trying as JJ is having a real go at defences, pretty much leading our attack on his own.

Tudgay is low on confidence so withdrawing him wide takes the spotlight off him and the pressure and although he prefers up front we could try and build his confidence from out wide.

I think its worth trying as JJ is having a real go at defences, pretty much leading our attack on his own.

Tudgay is low on confidence so withdrawing him wide takes the spotlight off him and the pressure and although he prefers up front we could try and build his confidence from out wide.

but what is he going to offer out there which will build his confidence ?

He has no pace, he can't dribble, doesn't have the creative eye for a pass, cannot cross a ball and is not someone who can cut inside and attack a full back

We seem to be accommodating someone who is probably in the worst form of the entire squad.

Why should there be different rules for him and why should we have to try and accommodate the golden boy ? He had one good season last year, maybe that was out of character and we are seeing the real Tudgay this season.

Look at his record for goalscoring.... it is one goal every 4.3 matches

he is highly ineffective and turning down silly money in the summer and then making him one of the highest earners was scandalous (which, if you hark back, I said at the time)

What about a third option of dropping the highly ineffective striker completely ?

I'd drop him tomorrow, if there was somebody in the squad who could come in and do a better job than Tudgay, but there isn't that other player at the moment, so he stays. He's just the same as every other player in the squad, in that if he's the best option in his particular position, he stays there until a better player for that position is found.

He has no pace, he can't dribble, doesn't have the creative eye for a pass, cannot cross a ball and is not someone who can cut inside and attack a full back

We seem to be accommodating someone who is probably in the worst form of the entire squad.

Why should there be different rules for him and why should we have to try and accommodate the golden boy ? He had one good season last year, maybe that was out of character and we are seeing the real Tudgay this season.

he is highly ineffective and turning down silly money in the summer and then making him one of the highest earners was scandalous (which, if you hark back, I said at the time)

He hasnt got a bad cross and he arrives late into the box.

When Irvine first came in he had soares out right with JJ up front. All Soares did was work hard and ensure that we remained rigid whilst JJ tore off on runs up front and out wide. Tudgay can stick to working hard until something falls for him.

1.5 Million (if that was even the up front offer) was hardly silly money and there would have been absolute HELL on had we sold him after the season he had.

Edited by Bluesteel

I'd drop him tomorrow, if there was somebody in the squad who could come in and do a better job than Tudgay, but there isn't that other player at the moment, so he stays. He's just the same as every other player in the squad, in that if he's the best option in his particular position, he stays there until a better player for that position is found.

this is where the Wednesdayite squad builder needs to come to the platter then

Yesterday, we would have won with a clinical striker. With the team playing like they did yesterday, and Alan making us now fight and believe in ourselves, I just hope we don't go down, because of a lack of a goalscorer.

Maybe it's time to give Franny a chance, or even play Palmer withdrawn or give Modest a game, playing off of the shoulder ala Inzaghi

We need to something, as we need goals, haven't we only scored in one of the last 7 matches ?

this is where the Wednesdayite squad builder needs to come to the platter then

Yesterday, we would have won with a clinical striker. With the team playing like they did yesterday, and Alan making us now fight and believe in ourselves, I just hope we don't go down, because of a lack of a goalscorer.

Maybe it's time to give Franny a chance, or even play Palmer withdrawn or give Modest a game, playing off of the shoulder ala Inzaghi

We need to something, as we need goals, haven't we only scored in one of the last 7 matches ?

I think Donny are the example of where a clinical striker can get you in this league.

Id be up for trying things, but I dont think our young strikers are any better than Clarke, Varney and Tudgay who have decent scoring records in this league or below, were really desperate if were relying on Jeffers.

One thing I tend to hear is, midfielders get the ball in the box and its either too high or too short etc. The deliveries havent been great at times either.

Guest wednesday83

In regards to playing JJ up front - thats a big no no. Without JJ in midfield, theres no pace what so ever in there and as proved when he was injured, the midfield could not cope without his pace - they just get overrun.

In regards to playing JJ up front - thats a big no no. Without JJ in midfield, theres no pace what so ever in there and as proved when he was injured, the midfield could not cope without his pace - they just get overrun.

definitely agree with this point. Yes, before he got injured he was causing some massive problems up front, but he is our outlet ball and can be found further down the pitch playing on the right.

Also, if we were to move him upfront, that would mean Soares or Gray having to come back in. Both aren't good enough IMO and are part of the reason why we struggled so much at Reading and at home to Donny etc

It really wee wees me off when people are so flipping ignorant.

He is the best header of the ball by in the squad a country mile. FACT!

His crosses are one of the best in the squad, probably after EE (when EE he strikes it properly). He has one of the best shots, He's not easily knocked off the ball and does a lot of the ground/dirty work that goes un-noticed.

He is the best all round outfield player we have. Defence, Midfield and Attack.

And going off this seasons performances, I would still say he's been one of the better outfield players from a poor bunch.

If look back on that game against Leicester you will note that he was linking with both JJ and Clarke, unselfishly.

Put some flipping glasses on when you next go to a match!

Guest Deleted member

It really wee wees me off when people are so flipping ignorant.

He is the best header of the ball by in the squad a country mile. FACT!

His crosses are one of the best in the squad, probably after EE (when EE he strikes it properly). He has one of the best shots, He's not easily knocked off the ball and does a lot of the ground/dirty work that goes un-noticed.

He is the best all round outfield player we have. Defence, Midfield and Attack.

And going off this seasons performances, I would still say he's been one of the better outfield players from a poor bunch.

If look back on that game against Leicester you will note that he was linking with both JJ and Clarke, unselfishly.

Put some flipping glasses on when you next go to a match!

^^^^^ THIS

Dont worry - Glasers not had much attention since the Brian Laws thing... he's obviously got to do something else now..